Learn more

Mount Hollywood Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(458)
Bronson Canyon Park

Mount Hollywood Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Loop

Had a hard time finding free parking. Ended up parking at the Greek Theatre and then walking up to Griffith observatory. The park ranger told me to take a longer route- don’t listen to them. Follow the trail on the app.

best time to come is early on a weekday. today is wednesday and I started at 730am, was already moderately busy.

I recommend parking in the free parking lots and walking up if you don’t mind it. I would also recommend going right when you get to the loop for a gentler ascension. A little steep coming down on the last part.

Fairly easy to moderate hike with many great vistas and stops.

1 step above "hiking" to Griff Park Observatory. A little steeper, but not much. Much better LA and Valley views. Crowded, but WAY less crowded than up to Griff Observatory. Nice seating area at the top

Good incline, decent overall of upper Griffith Park. Get to see the observatory and Hollywood sign. Get there early for parking

fyi: the public restrooms near the trailhead are absolutely deplorable...I mean maybe the worst bathroom I’ve ever seen...not disprespecting the park, but just a heads up. There are easily accessible outdoor restrooms at the Observatory, even if you aren’t going in.

Great views on the trail but heavily traveled. I prefer trails with fewer people. The observatory was great to visit on the Apollo anniversary. The fern grove is also a beautiful walk at the end of your hike.

Mon Mar 25 2019

We began our hike to Mt Hollywood at the Charlie Turner Trailhead, near the Observatory in Griffith Park. There are many connecting trails in this area. We went through the Berlin Forest and headed toward the viewpoint for the Hollywood sign first. We hiked in the evening for the sunset. We then backtracked and hiked up past Dante’s View and up to Mt Hollywood. The views are stupendous! The trails are busy and dusty, but there were wildflowers and many many butterflies. The views alone make hiking in this area a pleasure.

Sun Jul 22 2018

I only recorded half-way through. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS MAP!

Wed May 09 2018

Another trail that I've been doing since I was a kid. My dad would bring us every weekend because we live so close to Griffith park. On your way back down when you pass the Captains roost stay on the same trail you came up and it will be a 3 mile hike. Get here super early I suggest 5:00am because it gets really crowded. You have to pay for parking after 10:00am. $4 an hour!

Mon Mar 26 2018

Some great view of the entire Griffith Park, weekends are a little crowded for my taste.

Mon Feb 26 2018

Great views of the Hollywood Sign!

Sun Nov 12 2017

This is a good one!!

Thu Apr 06 2017

Fun day to be out in the sun beautiful!!

Tue Mar 07 2017

Very uphill, Very gorgeous, very fun.

Wed Dec 28 2016

Love doing this in and out trail with friends for a great view and moderate uphill climb.

Sun Apr 24 2016

bababooie

Mon Apr 18 2016

Mon Mar 28 2016

Hiked this trail this weekend. Rode Uber to the observatory parking lot. The trail was very crowded which is to be expected with a urban park like this. Took Uber forever to pick me up. Should have walked down to the Greek Theater to catch our Uber ride. I would consider doing more trails in this area in the future.

Tue Mar 22 2016

Easy hike. Will definitely do it again. Parking sucks on the weekends.

Tue Dec 15 2015

Pretty easy- but amazing views

Fri Aug 07 2015

I'm a beginner and this was an easy hike. The trail is wide and I saw a couple of families with toddlers in strollers. The view is amazing! I can keep going back with my nine year old.

Sun Dec 29 2013

First off if you're planning to park and hike up through the Canyon Rd. side- get there early or you'll get stuck trying to find parking. Trail is well maintained and can get congested at times during peak times especially during the weekend. It's a good work out going up along with coming down. Bring some water with you as someone mentioned earlier shade is minimal, and that goes particularly for those folks who brings dogs and kids. You'll enjoy it.

Sun Sep 29 2013

This is actually a great hike. I came up from Bronson canyon to the Hollywood sign. Your hike may originate elsewhere. It's a nice scenic climb and visibility was great in March. Amazing thing that this bit of wilderness is so close to LA. https://youtu.be/STQbaSjVJ_g

Tue Aug 27 2013

There are many trails here and many places to start them but my favorite so far has been starting from the observatory and heading over the bridge and going up the mountain through the dirt steps and up to Dante's view before heading to the top of mount Hollywood, I've actually hiked up this mountain and down and around to mount lee where the actual Hollywood sign is along with l.a.'s communication tower, it's a beautiful sight with beautiful trails but it saddens me to see just how polluted my city now is.

Thu Oct 04 2012

Another awesome evening hike. I think Griffith park has the best (that I've done) views of Los Angeles and its surroundings at night. There are many trails, so do know your way around, best to go with a group

Sat Jul 30 2011

this is a really busy trail with alot of trash & graffiti every where. but its a nice easy short hike for good sights of the L.A. area