Mount Hollywood and Mount Bell Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(46)
Griffith Park

Mount Hollywood and Mount Bell Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,509 feet Route Type: Loop

I took some alternate routes to get from the Fern Valley parking lot to the back of the Hollywood sign. All were fun but it did lengthen the hike. The dirt portions of the trail were in pretty good shape since we have not had much rain in LA this season. There a few washed out areas but that is pretty normal. Today was unusually overcast so the views were pretty obscured. However, that meant it was cool on the trail. On a normal sunny day, even in the winter, the sun can work on you so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Luckily, I didn’t consume much of the former and did not have to use the latter. This is a very exposed trail with some trees along the way but you have to go off trail to get their shade. Griffith Park is awesome. I have not come close to exploring it thoroughly.

We started out at around 6:45am from just above Trails Cafe. We’ve hiked Griffith Park and a number of these trails before, but never this specific route. Overall the condition of the main trails is good and very workable, but some of the smaller little side trails that this route takes you up and down were quite narrow (wide enough for one foot in front of the other only), overgrown, and rocky. On the flip side, added a little bit of difficulty and ruggedness to an otherwise leisurely hike. Starting out early is always our play for Griffith because there’s little shade on any of the trails, so we like to beat the heat. By the time we started heading down (maybe 8:15), it had already started heating up. Bring water people - it’s still amazing how many I see starting up midday with nothing but their phones, and today we saw several trail runners losing their breakfast, probably from pushing it with the heat and no hydration. We took our 6lb chihuahua mix up and she managed pretty well - if you follow this route directly smaller dogs may need to be picked up on some of the dicier areas and steeper inclines (adds some resistance training for you as well!). Don’t forget to bring a bowl or a spare water bottle for your fur kids though! We rewarded ourselves with breakfast from Trails Cafe for the first time and were delighted - a little expensive for the portions but great quality and a nice way to relax after an overall great hike.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Crowded and soulless.

Wed Dec 20 2017

One of favorites hikes to stay in shape. The views are great!

Sun Apr 23 2017

Hiked from the Griffith Park Observatory to the Hollywood Sign. It was a gradual ascend/descend. Great for beginners. My only advise is BRING WATER LOTS OF WATER. The day got hot and this trail has NO shade. I was schocked at how many inexperienced hikers were out there with pets and no water or too little. I shared 1.5 liters of water with fellow hikers due to lack of planning on their end.

Sat Oct 29 2016

Finally got a chance to say I've been their instead of just driving by nice hike awesome views all the way to the famous Hollywood sign had a good workout

Sun Mar 27 2016

Great hike, but not one I would do again during the warmer months. For me personally I would of enjoyed this hike Oct to Feb. Stroller and dog friendly, very wide trail, fun for large groups to walk side by side to socialize.

Tue Mar 08 2016

it's actually about 6.2 miles if you start by the pony rides and back (passing by the golf academy), which is my favorite way to do it. Bring water, there's not much shade on the trail so start early. The views are great (clear day you can see Catalina). The water at the Joe Klass faucet is helpful but worse tasting than the one at Dante's peak so bring enough to get you there. Great hike.

Sat Oct 10 2015

ok

Thu Sep 10 2015

It's alright.

Sun Aug 30 2015

the trail was all sun and hot! other then that the trail had alot of good scenery.

Sun Apr 05 2015

One of two trail heads which will take you up the hills in Griffith Park to the Observatory, this dirt path is a great hour climb that will help you find some beautiful views of the Los Angeles basin. Take your leashed dog or a friend and find your way through indigenous shrub in the shade of scattered trees. Pack a bottle of water and some trail mix to enjoy while you meander up the mellow incline and escape the busy rush of downtown Hollywood. This trail is recommended for anybody who needs to get away for a couple hours of fresh air and sunshine. TO FIND THIS TRAILHEAD: Turn onto Fern Dell Dr. off Los Feliz and drive into Griffith park; park alongside the road across from The Trails Cafe and walk across the dry creek, then turn left and head uphill.

Fri Feb 08 2019