Long Lake and Mount Elwell Loop Trail

Long Lake and Mount Elwell Loop Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clio, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,912 feet Route Type: Loop

Did this hike 8/8/19. Did this on a total whim as I had only pre-found several hikes prior to losing cell service on my camping trip. Did this with my chiweenie. I’m in good shape and am 35 years old. I would rate as 7/10 in difficulty as the final ascent is LEGIT. It took 30 minutes for me to descend about 900 feet. Last portion is a rock scramble up. My chiweenie made it so it’s doable. Make sure you go ALL THE WAY up to the left when you reach summit. There is a scroll to sign there! The views are great. Many lakes and just so peaceful!!! The hike back on other side of loop (bear lake) does have some rolling hills so be ready for that! Easy to find. Parking available. Trail we marked. Mix of shade and exposed. Terrain is pretty easy except for last scramble. No snow as of 8/18/19. Very few people which I loved! Highly recommend.

This trail with the summit totaled out at 7.5 miles. Took 4 hours. Nice trail-crushed granite, some stream crossings-all easy. Some snow along the trail but didn't interfere with trail. A lot of uphill but didn't seem too strenuous. Just a nice workout with gorgeous views of the many alpine lakes. Trekking poles helpful due to loose stone on descents and sunscreen recommended as often hiking in full sun at elevation.

At least 10 Alpine Lakes Viewed!! This was a great day hike trail loop! If we didn’t have a few minor set backs it would have a bit quicker. This time of year, lots of mountain streams and trails that turn into streams. Myself the girl and the 90lb black lab. We both carried 30-40lb packs and took several breaks. We left at 8:30am and got back around 4. After the Mt. Elwell summit AllTrails said there is another trail that cuts down but we could not find it. We wanted to go between the two small lakes if your looking at our trail, and we hit a dead end. The trail lead us to a cabin along side of Long Lake and what is named “Hellgrammite Lake” on AllTrails. The people at the cabin looked confused by our route, the guy said there is no trail that goes by here, but AllTrails said there was, so we backtracked out and back around mud lake. At the second peak point, there is a tiny lake that is not named on AllTrails however the sign by the lake states it is called Hellgrammite Lake, which is what AllTrails named the small lake adjacent to Mud Lake. We hung out by silver lake and decided to take the cub lake bear lake trail back. Our last setback was the last .5 mile where we thought there was a short cut trail to our campsite but the trail was flooded and hard to navigate. Soo close, another backtrack. All around amazing alpine lake views!

Just updating since it looks like it’s been awhile. I did this with my dog on June 13 2019. The road to the trailhead is mostly clear of snow but just a bit before the trailhead there is a large snowbank we couldn’t drive over/through. Just parked on the side and walked the difference to the trailhead. We went north around Long Lake, not much snow left until you hit the switchback for the final ascent. The trail is sometimes covered by snow but it isn’t hard to find again until you hit that switchback; I relied on GPS and I was glad to have it. Trail is a river especially on the east side of the lake, you have to go through scrub or climb some rocks to avoid soaking your feet. This was tougher on the dog than on me, but she also was happy to just walk in the mud/snowmelt. Some dangerous under-snowbank snowmelt rivers, so listen and tread carefully. I met some hikers from Gray Eagle Lodge who said they’d been told it’s not possible to go around the south side of Long Lake, I don’t know why they were told that but I went back around the north side of the lake after coming back down from the summit. Beautiful day, beautiful hike, beautiful summit.

Thu Nov 22 2018

Can't get enough of this area, so beautiful. If you do the whole loop, the other side of Long lake the trail is big rocks. My pup and i didn't mind for that's the part hiking is it's elements. ( did this lake before and always plenty of dogs on trails)But if you want to go clockwise and take Bear lake trail it would put you just coming up the otherside to Mt Elwell. Steep in areas but manageable and well worth the views. The top of Mt. Elwell is some rock climbing, again my pup and I did it and it just depends on your ability, but view from the top was amazing. Also get a sneak peak of Jamison Lake on the backside . Hike definitely didn't disappoint.

Wed Oct 31 2018

I really enjoyed this trail! Super scenic area and the trail was easy to follow. I extended the loop a bit further by hiking off the backside of Elwell. Only saw one other person the entire journey. Really made for a great afternoon of adventure.

Tue Oct 09 2018

Great hike. Take the big bear loop clock wise great little lakes and beautiful scenery To many Big rocks to hike over on the path after Mt Elwell around long lake If we did this again would hike to and from on the big bear lake trail as a up and back we wouldn’t go around long lake the trail is horrible way to rocky and no scenery except at the lake other than the mountain of rock we hiked over it was a great hike

Sun Sep 16 2018

Did the loop in mid-August and was not disappointed. Amazing views around Long Lake and atop Mt Elwell. Worth a dip in the lake at the end! You are quite exposed throughout the hike so wear your sunscreen.

Sun Aug 19 2018

ya

Wed May 30 2018

Would definitely do this again. Rocky trail is challenging. Hike up to Mt. Elwell is steep. Forged some streams. Experienced some snowpack on the way and at the top. Lots of diverse topography. We were tired.

Mon Jan 08 2018

The view is dope

Mon Jul 10 2017

This is the most similar recording to the actual hike that I did, which I started up the Mt Elwell trail on the North flank starting at Smith Lake, and, then back down to the Gray Eagle Lodge on the Long Lake Trail. But, because of the late snow this year, it was very hard going up; I lost my trail and hiked on deep, steep snow for 3/4 of a mile.

Sun May 14 2017

This is a top five favorite for me! Very magical hike no doubt!

Tue Jul 19 2016

This hike has it all --lakes, wildflowers, creeks, ferns, shade and sun, waterfalls, and butterflies. Even in mid-July, it was green and lush and in full bloom. Cool breezes on the top of Elwell. This app says "No dogs," but there were other dogs on the trail -including ours. Take your dog! We took a side trip cross country and found Hidden Lake. Not sure why there isn't a trail to this lake. It's not far from Maiden Lake, and it's gorgeous. I've included pictures of it as well as the other lakes you'll see on this amazing hike.

Fri Sep 05 2014

I love everything about this trail! The lakes, the views, lack of lot of people, trail, etc!

Sun Sep 16 2018