Mount Elwell Loop Trail

Mount Elwell Loop Trail is a 7.2 mile loop trail located near Clio, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October.

This is the most similar recording to the actual hike that I did, which I started up the Mt Elwell trail on the North flank starting at Smith Lake, and, then back down to the Gray Eagle Lodge on the Long Lake Trail. But, because of the late snow this year, it was very hard going up; I lost my trail and hiked on deep, steep snow for 3/4 of a mile.

This is a top five favorite for me! Very magical hike no doubt!

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

This hike has it all --lakes, wildflowers, creeks, ferns, shade and sun, waterfalls, and butterflies. Even in mid-July, it was green and lush and in full bloom. Cool breezes on the top of Elwell. This app says "No dogs," but there were other dogs on the trail -including ours. Take your dog! We took a side trip cross country and found Hidden Lake. Not sure why there isn't a trail to this lake. It's not far from Maiden Lake, and it's gorgeous. I've included pictures of it as well as the other lakes you'll see on this amazing hike.

Friday, September 05, 2014

I love everything about this trail! The lakes, the views, lack of lot of people, trail, etc!