Long Lake and Mount Elwell Loop Trail

Long Lake and Mount Elwell Loop Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clio, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

1902 feet

Would definitely do this again. Rocky trail is challenging. Hike up to Mt. Elwell is steep. Forged some streams. Experienced some snowpack on the way and at the top. Lots of diverse topography. We were tired.

The view is dope

This is the most similar recording to the actual hike that I did, which I started up the Mt Elwell trail on the North flank starting at Smith Lake, and, then back down to the Gray Eagle Lodge on the Long Lake Trail. But, because of the late snow this year, it was very hard going up; I lost my trail and hiked on deep, steep snow for 3/4 of a mile.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a top five favorite for me! Very magical hike no doubt!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

This hike has it all --lakes, wildflowers, creeks, ferns, shade and sun, waterfalls, and butterflies. Even in mid-July, it was green and lush and in full bloom. Cool breezes on the top of Elwell. This app says "No dogs," but there were other dogs on the trail -including ours. Take your dog! We took a side trip cross country and found Hidden Lake. Not sure why there isn't a trail to this lake. It's not far from Maiden Lake, and it's gorgeous. I've included pictures of it as well as the other lakes you'll see on this amazing hike.

Friday, September 05, 2014

I love everything about this trail! The lakes, the views, lack of lot of people, trail, etc!

Thursday, November 03, 2016