Mount Diablo via Summit Trail

Mount Diablo via Summit Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Danville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Cell reception can be tricky. Off-line map recommended.

Good hike. Wouldn’t do it again in full sun. Would start earlier or later in the afternoon. Took us 2.5 hours to reach the summit going about 2 miles/hr.

I’ve done this hike many times, but getting a late start (started @ 10:30a) made this hike difficult w/ temperature hitting 92 degrees. That being said, making it to the top & refilling our water bottles made us appreciate the climb. Lovely views & plenty of wild flowers to keep you company. Due to limited foliage to shade, I recommend constant application of SPF, along w/ bringing loads of water.

This trail is a great workout. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen because this will test you. Definitely worth the climb though once you get to the top there’s restrooms and a visitors center. The views are of course, breathtaking. Stop by sentinel rock on your way out if you have time. Really neat area. Make sure and download your map ahead of time as you will loose cell signal and have GPS only. There are quite a few cross trail and it’s easy to take a wrong turn.

Great trail, but hot with lots of elevation. I would recommend going up the summit trail and coming down the Juniper trail. And take a lot of water :)

Really enjoyed this trail. Only had a few hours to do it before having to head to the airport for a flight. Took about 2 hours up and 1 hour down as others have said, but that was moving fast (but not running) down. There are still some wildflowers. Clearly not peak, but definitely enough to enjoy. Arrived at the trail head at 8:30 am and it was completely socked in. Hiked for about 30 minutes and was above the clouds and it was pretty awesome. Then the fog rolled out and the scenery and views were great. Yes, there is a road to the top and yes there is a cell tower at the top so it's not the most remote trail ever. But it was definitely worth my 3 hour investment. And the area is riddled with connecting trails so you could easily spend days exploring this are. OH, ADVISE, it is confusing to follow the trails. Not so much because of unofficial offshoots but because there are so many trails (a good thing) and signage is sometimes awesome and sometimes not so much. With the map downloaded via AllTrails and the recording feature, anytime I got misguided, I realized within minutes and could get back on track. I recorded my hike, BUT it turned off several times so I have three recordings doing the single hike. So take it with a grain of salt.

Love this trail. The first half is basically all up-hill. The 7ish mile loop is easily done in 3 hours. I ran down the the last 3 miles so it took me around 2 hours. Started raining on me too so the trails got muddy. Also no dogs on the trail.

that was tougher than expected. but a great hike.

good 7 miles out a d back with wildflowers and great views.

I will never hike at Mount Diablo again, but if you do and want to summit, I suggest hitting the juniper trail on the way up. You can catch it to the left of the summit trail once the incline really starts to hit. Now I know why other people went to the left instead of straight on the summit trail. It adds a little mileage, but the summit trail looks like it’s barely been hiked on in ages, isn’t very discernible, has lots of growth, washout from rain, and fallen trees over it. Very poorly maintained.

Trail was great. Green rolling hills as far as the eye can see. The first 5 miles are really steep. Come early because it can be a long day.

Been in the Bay Area for 30 years and this was my first time hiking Mt Diablo. We didn't park at the lot next to the trailhead but further back so ended up hiking 9 miles. It was a nice steady climb most of the way. A couple spots required a little extra work but nothing all that hard. Since people can drive to the summit it was the busiest part of our hike and the least enjoyable to be honest. I think its a great little day hike if you want some nice views and a little challenge but you'll probably want to avoid spending much time at the summit.

I hiked this trial today because of the rare snow on Mt. Diablo. Absolutely beautiful!

Make sure you start your hike from Mitchell Canyon where there are picnic tables, restrooms, trashcans as well as a Ranger station where they have trail maps. Some folks tend to park on Regency Dr, but it gets so congested with the limited parking spots on a dead end street. There is no turn around on Regency so exciting can be quite a challenge as other hikers continue to drive down Regency to try and find a spot. Nightmare backing up to get out. Also Regence gate does not have restrooms, trash cans or water. Mitchell Canyon is the way to go.

Really good views ... best time to hike is after rains ... it’s cooler and greener

This is the first hike in 2019 and we loved it very much. We entered summit trail from South Gate where it connects with green valley trail. It’s 12.2 miles. Definitely challenging but rewarding at the same time.

Great hike. Cold in winter. Bring layers and food and water. Wear sunscreen!

Nice hike. Steady climb to the top. Great views along the way. Lots of different plant-life. Lots of cool placards/signage to help you learn about the mountain's geology and the history of the area.

I was excited for this one after getting to the Mt Olympia summit the week before. The views are great but the vast majority of the trail is a big, dirt access road so it’s often hard to feel like you’re in the wilderness. Also the peak is overcrowded with the people that drive there, however the little museum inside is pretty neat. Decent elevation gain but wasn’t as strenuous as I was expecting. Lastly it’s easy to feel like you’re cheating as the trailhead starts at 1000ft.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Great trail for a moderate workout. Lots of shade.

Monday, July 23, 2018

Great hike. Have good shoes and lots of water on you.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Great booty burner of a hike! Most of the trail is exposed, so bring some sunscreen and plenty of water. Definitely start early since folks can drive to the peak and it gets pretty crowded. We went on a clear day and could see all the way to the Sierras from the summit! Took us about 3.5 hours total, most spent on the way up.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Great hike! Start early to avoid the crowds, by 1-2pm the top of the mountain had lots of people (who cheated and drove to the top)

Friday, December 29, 2017

Hiked from Danville to the Summit and back on xmas eve, a little over 22 miles roundtrip. Took over 7.5 hours but now that i know the route better I think I could shave at least 1/2 hour off that time.

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Misjudged timing on this one and did about an hr in the dark with my 14 yr old a long time ago and before I always had a headlamp with me...

Monday, November 06, 2017

what an amazing hike and trial i started at Curry trail entrance I didn't see the summit trail head which was up the road a little more but it was still a great hike overall not to many ppl on the trail but defiantly a workout up the hills I would agree this trail is hard I did a total of 9 miles instead of parking at Curry trailhead drive up a few feet and park right at the foot of summit trail

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Name fits this trail.

Friday, September 01, 2017

Ran a trail race Half Marathon up and back on this trail in August. Great experience, but hot. Amazing view at the top. Worth the climb.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

To me it didn't really feel like hiking because the trail kept intersecting with the road (you can also drive to the top). At the top there's a parking lot and a visitor center. Only benefit to this is there is bathrooms in the place to fill water at the top. But I didn't think the view from the top is worth the hike.