Learn more

Mount Diablo via Summit Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(256)
Mount Diablo State Park

Mount Diablo via Summit Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Danville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Cell reception can be tricky. Off-line map recommended.

fee

Hike was definitely beautiful once to the top. Now the road going up, I was driving 10mph as recommended cause it’s very curvy but besides it was almost like we arrived on time for the gate to be opened at 7am, I like to do my hikes early in the morning with less folks. There was a fee of $10. The trail was Easy to moderate for myself and also my mom agreed. I drank about 1L of water. It was easy to follow the trial as well.

11.2 miles. The 6hrs estimate seems off. 4:10 hrs or 5hrs taking stops. Great hike. Recommend trail through time on way down to go through rock city and sentinel rock. Another hiker reported rattle snake. Great conditions today.

fee

Took just over 3 hours to complete. Steep uphill, but rewarding summit views

Amazing!

Nice constant hill on the way in Many bikes. Bike repair station at the entrance. Few signs on the trail to explain the geological formations in this park as well as the history of the area. Neat. Visitor center at the top Beautiful weather this time of year (around 60F). Western wallflower in bloom Poppies preparing their dress Had fun

I did a variation. Where it was more trailered to hiking. This trail is mostly road and recommended for road biking.

Definitely a workout for me! The trail was well marked and the weather was good. Saw two bobcats and even got pictures!

Absolutely beautiful hike and the views are breathtaking from the top! Saw a bobcat so keep aware of your surroundings but highly recommend this one!

About 3/4 the way up there is caution tape. Just cross it and stick to the right side and you’ll be good. 01/7/2020

It was great! Walk/ran took about an hour to summit!

An excellent 8-miler filled with relentless uphill and breathtaking views. Not for the faint of heart: the way up is challenging and will test any experienced hiker. Best done in late fall-spring due to the milder temperature and likely cloud cover. Having a good moisture-wicking shirt and lightweight wind/rainbreaker will go a long way

Steep, challenging ascent and descent. Very little shade, but beautiful views overlooking the bay area. I started around 11a, reached the summit around 2, and was back at my campsite around 5. There were plenty of designated stops along the way — though be sure to bring water!

Good hike. Wouldn’t do it again in full sun. Would start earlier or later in the afternoon. Took us 2.5 hours to reach the summit going about 2 miles/hr.

I’ve done this hike many times, but getting a late start (started @ 10:30a) made this hike difficult w/ temperature hitting 92 degrees. That being said, making it to the top & refilling our water bottles made us appreciate the climb. Lovely views & plenty of wild flowers to keep you company. Due to limited foliage to shade, I recommend constant application of SPF, along w/ bringing loads of water.

This trail is a great workout. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen because this will test you. Definitely worth the climb though once you get to the top there’s restrooms and a visitors center. The views are of course, breathtaking. Stop by sentinel rock on your way out if you have time. Really neat area. Make sure and download your map ahead of time as you will loose cell signal and have GPS only. There are quite a few cross trail and it’s easy to take a wrong turn.

Great trail, but hot with lots of elevation. I would recommend going up the summit trail and coming down the Juniper trail. And take a lot of water :)

Sun Jun 02 2019

Really enjoyed this trail. Only had a few hours to do it before having to head to the airport for a flight. Took about 2 hours up and 1 hour down as others have said, but that was moving fast (but not running) down. There are still some wildflowers. Clearly not peak, but definitely enough to enjoy. Arrived at the trail head at 8:30 am and it was completely socked in. Hiked for about 30 minutes and was above the clouds and it was pretty awesome. Then the fog rolled out and the scenery and views were great. Yes, there is a road to the top and yes there is a cell tower at the top so it's not the most remote trail ever. But it was definitely worth my 3 hour investment. And the area is riddled with connecting trails so you could easily spend days exploring this are. OH, ADVISE, it is confusing to follow the trails. Not so much because of unofficial offshoots but because there are so many trails (a good thing) and signage is sometimes awesome and sometimes not so much. With the map downloaded via AllTrails and the recording feature, anytime I got misguided, I realized within minutes and could get back on track. I recorded my hike, BUT it turned off several times so I have three recordings doing the single hike. So take it with a grain of salt.

Sat May 18 2019

Love this trail. The first half is basically all up-hill. The 7ish mile loop is easily done in 3 hours. I ran down the the last 3 miles so it took me around 2 hours. Started raining on me too so the trails got muddy. Also no dogs on the trail.

Sat May 11 2019

Sat May 04 2019

that was tougher than expected. but a great hike.

Sat Apr 20 2019

good 7 miles out a d back with wildflowers and great views.

Sun Mar 31 2019

I will never hike at Mount Diablo again, but if you do and want to summit, I suggest hitting the juniper trail on the way up. You can catch it to the left of the summit trail once the incline really starts to hit. Now I know why other people went to the left instead of straight on the summit trail. It adds a little mileage, but the summit trail looks like it’s barely been hiked on in ages, isn’t very discernible, has lots of growth, washout from rain, and fallen trees over it. Very poorly maintained.

Trail was great. Green rolling hills as far as the eye can see. The first 5 miles are really steep. Come early because it can be a long day.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Been in the Bay Area for 30 years and this was my first time hiking Mt Diablo. We didn't park at the lot next to the trailhead but further back so ended up hiking 9 miles. It was a nice steady climb most of the way. A couple spots required a little extra work but nothing all that hard. Since people can drive to the summit it was the busiest part of our hike and the least enjoyable to be honest. I think its a great little day hike if you want some nice views and a little challenge but you'll probably want to avoid spending much time at the summit.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Late Feb. Parked at the state park. $10 fee. Took me 2 hrs to the summit and 1.5 hrs back to the parking area. Majority of the trail is unshaded, so I recommend considering it in late winter or early spring rather than the summer. Near the summit there were areas with snow. Through the trail there are a few places with restrooms. There is also a road to drive up to the summit, if you like. A visitor center is open in the summit during the day.