Mount Diablo Summit via Mitchell Canyon Loop

Mount Diablo Summit via Mitchell Canyon Loop is a 13 mile loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,822 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is quite enjoyable and is not nearly as steep and challenging as nearby Mt. Olympia/North Peak trail. I went clockwise. It took me 5 hours 30 mins with a few tiny breaks to complete it. Lots of shade in the first half of the ascent. Saw tarantulas few times. Pretty decent views starting from Bald Ridge trail and up to the summit. And no, the parking lot at the top doesn’t bother me at all. I usually grab an ice cream at the summit store as a llittle reward for the long ascent. If you want views all the way up (and very little or no shade), try the south route from Macedo ranch. Mitchell Canyon road on the way back is extremely boring but easy on your knees. I definitely recommend this trail.

I would recommend this trail because of amazing valley views. Trail is a bit steep but totally worth it. Make sure to carry 3-4 L of water. They have a well maintained visitor center at the summit that tells the history of the mountain and its formation.

great trail, shrubs provide enough cover. loved it. plenty of facilities at bottom and top.

We went the clockwise direction, started at 830am and finished at 330pm with a short break at the summit. Quite the hike! Some nice views. Definitely a good workout and our legs will be feeling it tomorrow. The grade was quite steep on the way up, not for the inexperienced hiker. Glad we went clockwise so that we could take the fire road down but it was quite hot and didn’t offer a lot of shade. Highly recommend Sunscreen, 5L of water, and ample snacks. Also: we clocked closer to 16 miles.

enjoy the last month of free parking . Regency drive is going to be RESIDENTIAL Permit parking soon. While it was fun hosting all the hikers for several years. it will be nice to enjoy our quiet neighborhood again. Go to Mitchell Canyon to enjoy the park.

Excellent challenging hike to the summit via Mount Olympia. Unusual steady rain on the way down, but kept the crowds away. Good workout!

Definitely hard the way my friend and i went. We lost the trail, we must’ve missed a sign... but we eventually found the trail head to prospectors gap. The views were beautiful and right now the wild flowers are BREATHTAKING!!!!

Clockwise (starting with the single track trail, ending with the fire road down) is easier on the knees for the descent. Nice long hike with great views! Watch out for poison oak, it was prevalent along the trail.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Great workout! I was grateful for the recommendation to go clockwise to start with the single track uphill- would have been very difficult down that way. Beautiful views! Didn’t see another person until the visitor center

Sunday, July 29, 2018

This was a death march

Monday, May 21, 2018

The return loop was pretty steep and was very sliding, Going to the summit trail was good.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Great hike! The ascent is steep but manageable mostly on fire roads. The descent is mostly single track.