Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail

Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,814 feet Route Type: Loop

The Grand Loop offers a bird's-eye view of the Bay Area, and sometimes glimpses far beyond, of the Farallon Islands, Mount Lassen, the Sierra Nevada, and the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's also a a hotspot for wildflowers in the spring.

Tough hike but manageable and amazing views. Perfect chilly but sunny weather for hiking (January). I parked at Diablo valley overlook which doesn't come up on Google maps but if you go to Juniper campground it's a huge pullout you can't miss just before the campground. I went counter clockwise which starts with a very steep incline and ends with a gradual but long incline. I think clockwise would have been the way to go . Took me close to 4 hours including a lunch break and lots of photos. I went juniper trail (cut across road to continue)- summit trail -north peak trail - bald ridge trail- meridian ridge (fire road) - deer flat road(fire road). Make a stop at rock city on your way out of the park!

Long down then up and up, cold Jan day.

bridge out
flooded

Great views, some steep incline but nothing unmanageable. Recommend going clockwise

I walked the suggest clockwise route to save the summit for the end. Beautiful chilly day!

It was a very good work out for my legs and buttocks . Very beautiful mountains views . The Bay Area views , breath taking .

I camped overnight in Diablo state park and hit the trail first thing in the morning. Took me quite a while to navigate but amazing view. I was pretty beat after the hike glad I brought enough water. Great hike to do in the fall or spring when it’s cooler as the sun makes it pretty hard.

Breathtaking views

Great hike with a little bit of every type of terrain. Lots of fantastic vistas, some shade , some exposed. Not a summer hike. Bring at least 27oz of water and a snack

Great hike, but pretty tough. Be aware of your surroundings as I encountered an angry rattlesnake!

Beautiful views. Difficult up and down hills.

Dont recommend parking on Regency Drive. Regency Dr is all restricted parking where you need permits. Clayton Police are actively ticketing non-residential parking violations on weekends and holidays. save your $ and support the State Park system by parking over at Mitchell Canyon for $6.

What a great hike. Visiting CA from TN, so this was my only chance to get out and I picked the right one. Gorgeous views, not too hard, but definitely a challenge. we don't have mountains like this in central TN. Has a few technical areas, walking stick may have been helpful. Bring plenty of water.

fee

Overall great trail. It’s listed as moderate but the inclines and single track might be a little hard for the average hiker. I’d say it’s much more of a moderate to hard trail (or what I like to call moderate +). The trails loaded with a variety of trail types though which keeps it fun and interesting. From single tracks to wide and rolling paths, there’s something for everyone. After being on the trail for about 3 miles, you’ll find yourself buried deep in beautiful Manzanita, overlooking some of the best landscape views from San Francisco to the South Bay!

Started in Juniper Campground, walked clockwise. Started on fire road and all down hill - which means a long way back up, and the inclines were steep. At Prospector’s Gap, trail got a lot more interesting and no more fire roads. Great views, way more interesting once off the road. Cool to reach the summit and then have a nice easy walk down the hill back to the car.

awsome ride..

Worth doing. Some parts have really nice views, others not so much. Probably should be categorized as hard.

Fantastic hike - though you better be ready with lots of water and some key rest stops. Loved the panoramic views of the East Bay and the mix of wide paths and switchbacks.

Beautiful panoramic views from every lookout point on a clear day. Amazing to see the changes in topography on every side of the mountain. I'd recommend requesting the written directions from the park ranger at the park's entrance. For novice hikers, we weren't lead astray. We saw ground squirrels, deer, tiny lizards, and plenty of birds. Definitely was hot. Thanks to fellow forum members for recommending the 3L of H2O. We headed counterclockwise (northwest) around the mountain and had our climatic summit at the end! The summit includes plenty of picnic benches, clean bathrooms, and water fountains for your enjoyment.

Very pretty and amazing rock formations.