EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail

Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The Grand Loop offers a bird's-eye view of the Bay Area, and sometimes glimpses far beyond, of the Farallon Islands, Mount Lassen, the Sierra Nevada, and the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's also a a hotspot for wildflowers in the spring.

Great trail but longer than listed here (it’s closer to 8 miles in distance). We did it counter-clockwise - I would recommend doing the same. It’s a tough start but then you have a long descent to recover before the final uphill at the end. Doing it clockwise would be tough given how long the continuous uphill section would be.

Panoramic views of Easy Bay to the Sierea Mountains. Constant incline and declines on rocky trails. I'd do it again if the fog is minimal.

Had a great hike! Did counterclockwise. Initial ascent up to the lower summit parking lot from Juniper Trail really got the blood pumping. Lots of down from there. Bald ridge trail was our favorite part. The last 1.25 miles was a lot of elevation gain, 1900 feet back up to 2900 at the campgrounds. Think we’ll go clockwise next time, that way all the major gains are in the middle.

This was a fabulous hike, and I agree to definitely do it counter-clockwise. That way the first part is steep, challenging and rocky, but the last hour is on a gravel road and though you end going uphill it is much easier on your ankles and knees. It took us 2 hours and 45 minutes and we jogged some of the easier downhill parts. The views were amazing all the way and we were lucky to get them before some fog rolled in. I would definitely do this again.

Incredibly beautiful! A test of stamina, but not as challenging as I anticipated: finished in 3 hours with breaks. It was extremely, extremely windy/gusty on the exposed ridges - thankfully those portions are not as lengthy.

Do it counterclockwise. Tougher areas in the first quarter of the trail and the best views in front.

I would recommend parking at Mitchell Canyon where they have restrooms, picnic area, ranger station and trail maps. I would NOT park at Regency drive. Limited parking on the bottom of a residential DEADEND street. Gets really congested and nightmarish to get out of. zero restrooms, trash cans or water.

This is a hard hike, not moderate. My husband and I hike regularly but usually do shorter hikes. This was challenging for us. January weather was beautiful, about 60 degrees, but a lot of this trail is exposed and in the sun. Bring sunscreen. Deer Flat and the beginning of Meridian Ridge are flat and downhill. Pretty much everything after that is steep incline. Loose gravel on a lot of the trail. We completed in about 4 hours with a LOT of stopping. Views are breathtaking. Will definitely return to Mount Diablo, not sure we'll be doing this hike again, though.

Great hike, amazing views. Less traveled than many routes on Diablo. We had wind gusts up to 60 mph, which is unusual, but made it more adventurous. Would strongly recommend for someone who wants a decent workout in a relatively short hike.

Just got back into hiking before Thanksgiving and this was a great hike. Challenging; but, wasn't too overwhelming. Took a little detour to the observation center to see the view. That made it worth it. Clear day and beautiful views. Was about 34 degrees when we started. Wore layers. Should have brought gloves and something to cover my ears; but, wasn't horrible. Will definitely do this one again!!

Loved this hike. I thought it was more of a hard hike than moderate. The incline was pretty steep.

The hike was awesome!!!
I hike with my dad,and we had fun with great views.
And if you want to go drive to mountain,you need to pay 10 dollar, but hike was that much worth.

Very hot day, hike with my 11year old son. The trail was easy walk with great view. Path was very stable, just fun!

This was a great hike... just strenuous enough but not a total killer for one of medium ability... thanks to previous reviewers... it did take 4 hours when you factor in occasional breaks and lunch and a stop to explore visitor center. Thanks also to this app for helping me navigate... made a few wrong turns but was able to quickly correct thanks to gps. The sometimes mediocre signage is why I am only giving 4 stars. Could be greatly improved upon. Bring plenty of water and plan for a work out. I imagine the view can be spectacular but alas it was too smokey when I did the hike to see all that was there.

So thankful for all of the shade! Definitely saved me on a hot morning. The uphill climbing was a littleeee rough but the views at summit made it all worth it!

A very nice hike, very nice views on the path. It was a bit hot so don’t forget to bring enough water! Especially with kids.

Great hike for 360 views around mnt. Diablo. Started at 9:30 from Juniper Campground (note it takes 25-30 min to drive the curvy road full of bicyclists on a Saturday morning from the park entrance.) I took 4 hours 45 min including 30 minutes to explore the summit. Trails are steep at times but never for too long.

Great hike! Lots of shrubbery needs to be trimmed. You end up going downhill for the first mile and a half then making your way up the back loop. Hike ends with an easy downhill. Start early - the trail started to get busy with Juniper Spring hikers around 12, since the trail overlaps.

Fantastic hike today! I did it clockwise from Juniper Campground. There are some steep parts with loose gravel on dirt that I wouldn’t want to do going downhill, so I recommend clockwise.
There were so many gorgeous wildflowers! I also saw a coyote. I added on the spur trail to the summit, since I’d never been there.
There’s a lot of poison oak. Most of the trail is wide enough that it’s easily avoided, except for the Bald Ridge section. Wear pants and long sleeves! It goes up to shoulder height.
Most of the trail is exposed, and it felt warm even though it was under 60 degrees when I started. Wouldn’t want to do this on a hot day. I’ll definitely do it again, though!

This was a great hike and a great time of year to do it.
Everything was still green and blooming. The marine layer kept it cool today.
We did the hike counter clockwise and added the Juniper and Summit Trail loop to it.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Awesome hike. Do the Moses Ridge out and back off the Juniper Trail (adds 0.8 miles) for some more great views.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

We did this clockwise, starting at the parking area in the back of the Juniper campground. Views are amazing as you make a full circle around the summit of Mt. Diablo. There are some rather steep sections in this loop. The Bald Ridge Trail in particular is like a roller coaster, twisting and turning and steeply climbing up and down, but there are some spectacular view points in that section. It tooks us about 4 hours with a lunch break at the summit.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Lovely trail with views. Feb and March seem like a great time to go to avoid the heat and rattlesnakes.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Bald Ridge is a narrow path with brush - Runners may want to use Prospect Gap and Meridian Road paths

Saturday, January 27, 2018

The views were great! The trail markers were a bit confusing so make sure you talk to a Park Ranger before starting

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Me and my partner came here not knowing where the trail started. We parked at the base of the mountain, took a map and started. Obviously it's a mountain so lots of inclines. It ended up being a whole day hike and it was dark by the time we made it back to our car. Really nice views at the top! We spotted a lot of deer on our way back.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Loved this hike, but make sure you have good hiking shoes. Only reason it’s not 5 Stars for me is the fact that you start the hike with a steep up hill AND end it with a steep up hill. Very beautiful though.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Loved! Great work out and a nice mix of up and down. The trail was really steep and loose at points so make sure you’ve got good shoes (and you clip your toenails!).