Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(382)
Mount Diablo State Park

Mount Diablo Grand Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,814 feet Route Type: Loop

This park is temporarily closed to vehicular access, meaning there are no parking facilities and parking on roadways is prohibited to protect public health from the COVID-19 pandemic. The Grand Loop offers a bird's-eye view of the Bay Area, and sometimes glimpses far beyond, of the Farallon Islands, Mount Lassen, the Sierra Nevada, and the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's also a a hotspot for wildflowers in the spring.

Great views from the tallest peak in the area. Be sure to bring sun protection and watch out for snakes in the summer. Restrooms at the summit with cool war era history to read up on.

I love the hike from before but I went on March 27th and it was closed because of the virus be careful

fee

Great trail; well maintained! Took about 4 hours for our group to do the loop with breaks.

This was a fabulous hike. The weather was perfect and we could see for miles. The trail was challenging after turning off on Bald Ridge Trail (easy to miss) where the real climb begins. I agree with other reviewers who recommend good hiking shoes and poles. This is the time of year to hike this challenging route.

I found this trail to be HHAARRDDD! “Moderate” my foot. It was uphill most of the way, kicked my ass. Gorgeous sunset, few people, view at the top was great.

Great views of the surrounding area and well marked trails on this moderate hike. Absolutely need hiking poles and lugged hiking shoes/boots. Steep trails with quite a bit of gravel to slip and slide on.

Windy, good views, small gravel on trail so easy to slide

fee

10 dollar park entry fee. Parked at the base of the Visitor Center. Took a picture of the map displayed at the center. Ranger showed us how to follow the Summit Grand Loop. Took a total of 3 Hours (with a quick lunch break), going counter-clockwise. Was about 7.5 miles. Difficulty was a bit more than Moderate at times, most of the trail has loose gravel. Weather was perfect. Saw no snakes this time. Very worth it, amazing views.

fee

Counter clockwise is the way to go. Awesome hike all around!

I’ve done summit trail lots of times, this was a fun hike to see all around the mountain and Bay Area. We live in Danville so enjoyed seeing and hiking the north and east side. Parked at Juniper turn out but lower lot would have been OK too. Definitely hike clockwise - everything is well marked but the turn to Eagle Ridge is a subtle, single track. Took us exactly 3 hours with a couple stops

fee

Great trail with amazing views, but would consider between moderate to hard

Nice hike, just a few areas that were really wet so appears to drain nicely. We didn’t get too many views with the cloud cover but a nice sweat was created! We started at Juniper Campground which I don’t think is the normal starting spot.

Gorgeous views but hard hike. Varies between downhill and inclines with few areas that are flat. The views were worth it!!! I went clockwise, which may be preferable, as counterclockwise would start with 2km uphill. Took me 3 hours altogether.

Tough hike but manageable and amazing views. Perfect chilly but sunny weather for hiking (January). I parked at Diablo valley overlook which doesn't come up on Google maps but if you go to Juniper campground it's a huge pullout you can't miss just before the campground. I went counter clockwise which starts with a very steep incline and ends with a gradual but long incline. I think clockwise would have been the way to go . Took me close to 4 hours including a lunch break and lots of photos. I went juniper trail (cut across road to continue)- summit trail -north peak trail - bald ridge trail- meridian ridge (fire road) - deer flat road(fire road). Make a stop at rock city on your way out of the park!

Long down then up and up, cold Jan day.

bridge out
flooded

Great views, some steep incline but nothing unmanageable. Recommend going clockwise

I walked the suggest clockwise route to save the summit for the end. Beautiful chilly day!

It was a very good work out for my legs and buttocks . Very beautiful mountains views . The Bay Area views , breath taking .

I camped overnight in Diablo state park and hit the trail first thing in the morning. Took me quite a while to navigate but amazing view. I was pretty beat after the hike glad I brought enough water. Great hike to do in the fall or spring when it’s cooler as the sun makes it pretty hard.

Breathtaking views

Great hike with a little bit of every type of terrain. Lots of fantastic vistas, some shade , some exposed. Not a summer hike. Bring at least 27oz of water and a snack

Great hike, but pretty tough. Be aware of your surroundings as I encountered an angry rattlesnake!