Mount San Antonio via Pacific Crest Trail and North Backbone Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(7)
Sheep Mountain Wilderness

Mount San Antonio via Pacific Crest Trail and North Backbone Trail is a 11.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 11.7 miles Elevation Gain: 5,223 feet Route Type: Out & Back

For me, the major con of this trail outweighed the pros. Yes, the views were beautiful and yes we didn't see a single soul on the trail as we were hiking. But unless hiking up scree and loose rocks up 5,000+ feet is your thing, I don't recommend it. I felt so unsafe on the exposed ridge that was just loose rocks with intermittent bouldering and sheer drop-offs on either side that we only made it halfway to the peak of Pine Mountain. We decided it was best to take our time with the descent since one misstep means a long fall and the hope that a helicopter makes it out to you if you can't make it back out. We have hiked all of the "six pack" of peaks, dayhiked Mt Whitney, and finished off Iron Mountain which many consider to be one of the harder hikes in Angeles Forest. I actually picked this hike because on paper it looked like an ideal training hike for Mt Rainier. If you have your heart set on hiking it, I would definitely recommend hiking poles, bringing 2-3L of water, and keeping your pack light. I was hiking with a 30lb pack for training and did not feel safe trying to navigate down Pine Mountain on scree.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Just a two hour drive from Los Angeles to Guffy Campground will give you a wonderful launching point to some of the finest wilderness in the San Gabriel Mountains. Even though we hiked this trail on the July 4th holiday, with the exception of the summit which was overrun by people who took the ski lifts, not another soul could be found along this lonely route. The ascent from the saddle between Dawson Peak and Baldy is a burner, but watch your pace because once you get to the summit you still have to turn around and head back cresting Dawson Peak and Pine Mountain again. The three tallest peaks of Angeles National Forest in one trip is ample reward.

recorded qqq