Mount Baden Powell Trail

Mount Baden Powell Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,788 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Note: Crampons and proper gear are recommended during the winter due to snow. This is a strenuous hike up to the 9400 foot peak of Mount Baden-Powell. The hike, up 40 switchbacks, takes you through an amazing range of vegetation. Along the way you will see Oaks, Jeffery pines, Sugar Pines, Incense Cedar, Lodgepole Pines, White Fir, and near the summit the gnarled Limber Pines. The views from the summit are breathtaking, looking over the Mojave desert and Southern Sierra. This is a great training day hike for a future backpacking trip.

love that hill

Nice short hike for a good work out. Beautiful drive in as well. Switchbacks for about 4 miles all the way to the top.The views don't really kick in until your all the way to the top. There is a short ridge section with steep drops on both sides similar to the "Devil's Backbone" section on Baldy at the very top. Started at 2:30 pm finished at 5:45 pm. Temps in the low 60's for most of the hike. Saw only 5 people on the trail.

Finally was able to do this hike; always went when there has been snow and was not prepared. This hike is definitely a workout with a lot of switchbacks , but so worth it. The summit was beautiful on this clear sunny day! (:

Did this with packed out Baltoro 70 in preparation for the PCT. I really enjoyed it and if my boss hadn't called me I would have camped on or near the summit. Great hike, keeps your heart pumping.

Beautiful hike. Well maintained. My favorite.

Love this hike! There’s shade, well marked trail, not too crazy of an incline, and gorgeous views at the top. Took us 2 hours to summit, and 1.5 hours to get back down.

Well maintained trail. I’d hike it again. Gorgeous peek-a-boo views going up through the switch backs. And gorgeous views up top. Saw Mount Wilson, Catalina and Downtown LA.

Nice morning not to crowded.

Nice workout. This was my first time to this mountain. I trained hamstrings the day before and I had no problem getting to the top in 2 hours. Nice gradual incline throughout, with a steeper hike towards the end. Started in the dark around 5:45am. The wildlife was out roaming, so make sure to be safe if you are going out in the dark. I want to try from Vincent Gap next time. Can’t wait to come back in the winter❄️⛏ IG: @InfiniteMountainPursuits

Weather was perfect around 70F the whole way up and down. Although the views at the summit and from the ridge were great, the ascent was very monotonous, as you can tell from the map. It’s just switchbacks on switchbacks and it gets old.

Lovely trees along the trail. Lots of switchbacks, but an enjoyable hike.

Beautiful hike all the way. Trail is super maintained and super clean. Hand clap to consciousness hikers!! Definitely uphill but really not that bad. Was windy when I reached the peak but the beautiful vistas were spectacular. I hiked on a Thursday so hardly anyone on trail. You will need your Adventure parking pass. Restrooms were super clean also. Enjoy and happy trails

The hardest part of the trail was turning around at the summit instead of continuing down the PCT. It's super pretty here

I started out at 7:08am and at the Summit at 8:56am. It was cold and a little bit windy at the top. Beautiful views at the summit. The trail is in good condition, but a few false trails that people cut through 3 miles in. This is a great training mountain for people who want to improve their fitness.

Shaded area through out the trail. Mist, rain and some fog. Amazing views at the top.

We did this hike 9/7/19. The app didn't load so I couldn't record it. The trail is a continuous switchback with ridge all the way well maintained. Lamel spring was sketchy. You can see Mohave desert on the way up. Beautiful views at the summit. This hike can be seen on our channel "D2 and Oliveoil hike." I would call it moderate but it all depends on level of fitness.

My favorite hike! Hiked it for the 1st time Saturday. 1 hour from my home; only 8 miles; difficult; great trail; 2800 foot of elevation gain in 4 miles is hard. Took us about 3 hours. Very busy! 1st hike since Mt. Whitney on Aug. 15th. I will make it a regular hike, and Wrightwood Brewery is only a few miles away!

After completing the six pack of peaks and wanting to do a stretch my legs warm-up the week prior to climbing Mount Whitney I decided to meet up with a group doing this hike. The views at the top were nice, but not stunning like almost all of the six pack peaks have been. With 40 switchbacks this hike is not to be taken lightly. I was able to get to the top in 1 hour 43 minutes. Coming down was not bad because the trail is pretty smooth coming down - not that horrible rocky path you get a lot here in California. Tips: (1) get there early. Parking lot was full when I got there at 730AM. There are spots along the main road. (2) bring plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, & a hat.

The switchbacks are well maintained and there are pretty interesting gnarled trees at the summit. The trail reminds me of Mount Baldy but with a more pristine look: no businesses in the area which kind of preserve its wilderness status.

What a view! This was a great hike.

Easy to follow. The way up is steep but manageable. Made it up in 2 hrs and 15 mins. Down I was back in about an 1hr and 45 mins. View is decent. No bugs!

wonderful hike. Last time I completed this hike I was 16 years old which was 44 years ago It is as beautiful as i remember views are worth the climb

Well-maintained and moderately to heavily trafficked (I hiked this on Labor Day so I’m sure the crowds were a bit larger than usual) trail. I also saw many dogs! The numerous switchbacks made the trail suitable for a variety of fitness levels. The trail is partially shaded by trees along the way and, while the views on the ascent are not spectacular, the summit view is panoramic and beautiful, thus making the climb SO worth it! Highly recommend for a nice escape from the LA city environment. It took me approximately 3 hours return, including a 20 min lunch break at the summit.

This is such a fun, beautiful hike! The trails are perfectly maintained and it's shaded most of the way. The miles flew by! There were a lot of bugs the last couple miles of the hike (evening and cooler temperatures likely contributed to the increase). Would do this hike again anyday!!

recorded Mount Baden Powell Trail

Great hike! Steep in the beginning but worth the burn!!!

Fun hike with great views. There was no flag at the top.

Good short hike. Completed round trip in 2:54 hours, the hike is almost entirely uphill.

Everyone has pretty much said it all, so I won’t repeat anything. However, if you are not an experienced hiker, this one is a butt kicker. Pretty rough on the knees coming down.

Awesome trail! Gorgeous views! This was my first time and it was a really pleasant experience. Will be coming back for more trail running adventures