Mount Baden Powell Trail

Mount Baden Powell Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Panoramic views from summit, unusual limber pine forest. This is a strenuous hike up to the 9400 foot peak of Mount Baden-Powell. The hike, up 40 switchbacks, takes you through an amazing range of vegetation. Along the way you will see Oaks, Jeffery pines, Sugar Pines, Incense Cedar, Lodgepole Pines, White Fir, and near the summit the knarled Limber Pines. The views from the summit are breathtaking, looking over the Mojave desert and Southern Sierra. This is a great training day hike for a future backpacking trip.

24 minutes ago

Long, beautiful hike! Bring friends you'll want to share this with them. The view is amazing! You can see Catalina, baldy, Witney....

An incredible hike through the quintessential wooded mountains. I tracked it at just under 8 miles. The last 1.25 miles to the peak are the hardest. We made it up and back to the parking lot in about 5 hrs with plenty of short rest breaks & lunch at the top. Weather was ideal at around upper 50s with a subtle yet steady breeze. Bring at least 3L of water, poles (the trail gets pretty narrow & there was unmelted snow), & 10 essentials.

Very fun, there’s a lot of switchbacks, but not as bad as can really be. There were some leftover snow patches that made me a bit nervous, but other than that, not too shabby.

Hiked 3/24/18. Highway 2 open to the parking lot. Really nice hike, woodsy + dozens of switchbacks until the ridge where it becomes pretty exposed with grand views. Come prepared for snow/ice conditions w/ spikes, poles, and maybe an ice axe if you plan to summit. The weather turned from mild to foggy/windy really quickly, so glad we were prepared. Once you reach the 24th or so switchback, the trail is lost in the snow and tracks proceed straight up to the ridge. Good hike for a sure-footed dog, though he was spooked by the roaring winds at the ridge and we descended from there.

Hiked on 3/30/18. There’s still a lot of snow starting about 2-2 1/2 miles in, so be prepared. We lost the trail after a certain point because of the snow, but there were plenty of footprints to follow straight up to the ridge. The views were incredible and we geeked out over the old trees.

spikes are a must have

Good section of trail with great views, bring proper gear in the late season, ice is present and can really ruin a good day.

Solid hike! Good elevation over a relatively short distance. If you love switchbacks, this hike is for you! Gorgeous views at the top, and loved all the gnarly pines along the way. It is a good ways out on the Angeles Crest - maybe 40 mins past buckhorn- so give yourself plenty of time to get to the trailhead. As of early February, spikes were absolutely necessary. There have been three separate rescues off the same icy patch on this trail just this month- don’t risk your life with snow and ice!

Not as good as Mt. Baldy but a real calf killer with all those switchbacks. The views from the top are not to be missed. Please carry microspikes (=Kahtoola) and trekking poles.

One of my favorite hikes in the area. Icy conditions towards the top. Bring microspikes and warm clothes.

Went sat feb 3, started trail at 0945, 3 hrs to the top beautiful, 2 hrs down. need ur spikes and poles, of course there were people who didn’t have either and were slipping and sliding, not worth risking injuries!

Come prepared and take no risk ( spend a little money on your gear). Beautiful trail and view

1.27.18 Great hike. Highly recommend proper gear. Micro spikes is a must and and ice axe Incase of any accident.
There are ranger doing checks to make sure everyone is properly gear. Be safe!

Warning!!

This review is actually from a week ago.

NBC News reported there were two rescues from this area this past week.

There was actually a third accident, mine was on Sunday. There is heavy ice at the top and Microspikes although great, can be useless if you don't pay attention to proper footing. The only thing that saved me after a three hundred foot fall was my ice axe.

My Fiance and I were able to hike out, although I had considerable road rash but truthfully had we not had our safety equipment, there was a lot more of a fall below me.

Please equip yourself before you go up and prepare yourself that if something goes wrong, you may be staying overnight in the freezing temperatures.

Other than that it was as beautiful as always.

This was my first experience with Baden-Powell. What a BEAUTIFUL hike!! It was 19-ish degrees at the bottom, and with windchill, was about 5 degrees at the top. We had to put on our micro-spikes at about mile 2.5; we couldn’t have finished without them. It was snowing a bit on the way up, with strong winds approaching the summit. It was very icy at the top! We were the only people on the summit, which was amazing! No view due to the winds. I can only imagine the views on a clear day. I can’t wait to do Baden-Powell again.

We hiked Saturday the 13th and it was gorgeous! The weather was great. Plenty of snow and ice the last mile up. Some areas close to the summit were very slippery. Recommend crampons for sure. Lots of switch backs and steep inclines. Over all, I love it and I’ll be doing it again.

On Tuesday December 16, my friends and i decided to hike Baden powell via vincent gap. Thought this area was safe but little did i know that it wasnt. When we got to my car, my friends and i notice that my car window was shattered and someone went into my stuff and stole our belongings. It was such a chaotic day, because the rangers or police from Wrightwood were unable to help since it wasnt safe to stay by the trail. We ended up making a courtesy report in my area. Its a beautiful trail, i love it but i don't think it safe. Be safe and take extra precaution.

Nice hike with 6-8 inches of snow. Got a little icy last .5 mile or so. Microspikes highly recommended for safety. Large summit with great views.

One of my faves now! Lots of switchbacks but it’s totally worth it. Love that it eats a portion of the PCT. The 360-view is AMAZING! Take lots of photos!

Steady incline the entire way up. 2 hours up. 1 hour down. Nice views. Saw some really cool misty clouds roll in at summit.

Absolutely incredible hike - beautiful and so quiet and serene. View from the peak is gorgeous. Will definitely do this one again!

Beautiful day... great hike...conquering my fears...

Couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day. Sunny, cool, and calm conditions all the way up and down the mountain. Spent about an hour at the top. Great 360 view.

Had a couple friends along allowing us to do a car shuttle. Hiked from Vincent Gap to Dawson Saddle, summiting both Baden-Powell and Throop. Incredible weather for end of December. High 70s and only a light breeze. Views were incredible.

Perfect weather, no wind on top with clear of view of DTLA, Catalina and surrounding peaks. Took longer than the 2.5 hours scheduled because we brought some young'uns, but the entire Troop peaked.

Bring lunch to enjoy the top and hiking poles to get you there! Lots of switchbacks but so worth the view!!

Absolutely lovely hike almost anytime of year as long as the road remains open to the trailhead. Steep switchbacks and altitude gain offer a challenge to anyone who hikes this trail. Worth the adventure as the views from the summit are splendid.

I hiked it yesterday (12/15/17) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was about 7.7 miles and took us about 5 miles...we spent about 45 mins at the top. Parking was easy...same parking lot as Big Horn Mine. What I really liked about the hike were the great views...360° at the top without the gruelling all day 10+ mile hikes of some other peaks.

More like 7.7 to 8 miles. very chilly at the top right now. make sure to wear a good Insulated jacket. Trail is very well pounded, can't get lost.