Mount Baden Powell Trail

Mount Baden Powell Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Panoramic views from summit, unusual limber pine forest. This is a strenuous hike up to the 9400 foot peak of Mount Baden-Powell. The hike, up 40 switchbacks, takes you through an amazing range of vegetation. Along the way you will see Oaks, Jeffery pines, Sugar Pines, Incense Cedar, Lodgepole Pines, White Fir, and near the summit the knarled Limber Pines. The views from the summit are breathtaking, looking over the Mojave desert and Southern Sierra. This is a great training day hike for a future backpacking trip.

Almost didn't go because of the potential loose dogs (and couldn't get a call back from the Rangers for any update) but decided it was well-trafficked enough in case anything were to happen, especially on a weekend. I did take my dog and it was a gorgeous hike with lots of shade cover for most of the way. The only dogs we encountered were leashed and well-behaved which is always nice to see. A note if you have any kiddos (or adults or dogs) that get carsick on windy roads: coming from LA, I took the 210 to the 2 to get there but took the 2 to the 138 to the 14 on the return trip to avoid a lot of the super windy drive on the 2.

Thanks for the update on the dogs, I was planning on carrying a Bear spray or something....

Ok good !!! Thank You !!!

I did this hike on Friday, July 13th and fortunately did not encounter any aggressive dogs.

What is the latest with the dog situation? Were they picked up?

The hike is very pretty,i really enjoyed it,but had a horrible experience today going down with a group of hikers bec one solo female hiker told us on the summit that 2 girls were attacked by 2 dogs,on the way down we encountered them,they were pitbulls on the loose,at the lamel spring sign,they were very aggresive didnt back down even seeing theres 6 of us trying to scare them away,instead both dogs charged us and one of us got bitten good thing its not too serious but he had a lot of bite marks,try to stay away from this trail for now or check with the ranger first.

One of my favorites

Beautiful scenery throughout the entire hike. Plenty of coverage from the sun any time of day, low coverage the last mile since it is above ridgeline. Pretty steep gradient all the way to the peak, so bring plenty of water because it's quite a workout. We had experienced hikers as well as first timers, all made it to the peak.

Highly recommend this hike, the views at the peak are amazing. Even had several aircraft (gliders) flying around us, which was pretty cool to watch.

This is one of my fav of the SoCal Peaks.... its got resistance, beauty, shade...fun!

First things first you will need a parking pass that you can get from the ranger station nearby. I really enjoyed this hike, lots of switchbacks but the views at the top are well worth it. Bring lots of water (at least 2 liters) -you will need it especially on hot days. I brought my dog (70lb lab mix) and he loved it! There is lots of shade except for the last quarter mile. very secluded trail, i only saw about a dozen people on the trail.

Amazing views from the summit.

Really liked this trail. Scenic views at the top aren’t as good as other hikes (Cucamonga/Baldy) but still pretty. The trail itself was what made this awesome for me. Easy to follow switchbacks all the way up. I would rate as moderate if you are in decent shape. Good spots for an overnighter about halfway up.

A Boy Scouts MUST - Baden Powell, the founder!!! Monument at the summit!!

All Trails®:
Total Distance: 8mi.
Elevation Gain: 2,759ft.

We got to the trail head at 7:55am and by 8:05 the entire parking lot was filled up. There were lots of large groups gettin ready to take off so we quickly used the restroom and were on our way. According to my All Trails® map, the first mile took us 25 minutes and was 656 ft elevation gain. The second mile we did in 26 minutes and was 732 ft elevation gain. Third was 27 minutes and 696 ft elevation gain. And lastly, our fourth mile was 35 minutes and 679 ft elevation gain. The last mile was definitely the hardest and I could feel my legs gettin heavier and fingers pulsing from the elevation by the 4th mile. There is a great stopping point near the 1500 year old tree that will give you a glimpse of what the summit looks like. I personally thought that was it. It was so gorgeous. But, only a few more minutes and you'll be at the summit. And you will be so happy. Its a panoramic view that will take your breath away. We got to the top and dropped our gear and just relaxed a little. There were a good amount of folks at the top and they were all super friendly. We ran into some PCT'ers that have been hiking for roughly a month with 4-5 more months ahead of them. Unbelievable!!

So after we took our pics, we made our way down and that was fairly quick. It can be a little dangerous when trying to get out of the way for folks coming up so I caution you to be very careful of where your feet are. But for the most part, you'll get down quick and its not so steep to hurt your knees. I will suggest, dry, tight shoes to keep from rubbing the bottoms on the way down. That was my mistake and my soles were pretty sore by the bottom.

We saw kids on the hike who were doing great. I'd say any kid over the age of 12 would be good if you were going to bring them along. And I had my to pups as well so as long as yours are in good shape and can handle other pups, they would love this hike. My heelers absolutely enjoyed it but were exhausted by the end so keep that in mind when debating the furry friends.

This was my first of the Six Pack of Peaks and very well could one of my all time favorites. It was a beautiful hike all the way up and down. Go early and you'll enjoy the wonderful weather. If not, I fear that It may be too hot, especially to a beginner.

See ya on the trail!
MLA

This is one of my favorites in the Angeles Forest. The parking is pretty plentiful but I would still get there early because it will fill up. The trail immediately starts off steep and is basically a series of switchbacks all the way to the top. You will have plenty of shade and some beautiful views even before you get to the top.
As soon as the switchbacks stop you will reach a saddle with the summit at the end of it.
This is a moderately trafficked trail. You will run into PCT hikers who are always interesting!
All of the photos I saw had a cool layer of clouds below the summit but I didn’t get that lucky.
I definitely recommend this hike!

Tough trail for beginners, the switch backs will make you feel like you’ll never get there but the trail is well worth going to the top. I definitely felt the altitude changes, make sure you take breaks often, it only took us 4 hours to do so it’s not too bad of a hike. Was really windy but was a good start to my weekend. 6/15/18

4/20 gorgeous day but wind chill at the top was pretty cold. Very few patches of snow left, no spikes needed but poles recommended. Highly recommend this hike.

Very challenging with all the switchbacks. I made it to the top where the flag and wooden sign is. Great views all around. Very refreshing at the top. My group found a great spot to relax, eat, and nap.

Got an early start, around 8am, along with a good group of people planning on doing some trail maintenance! Nice cool breeze during the assent with plenty of shade along the way. Was a steep hike consisting of switchbacks all the way. Plenty of space on top to kick back and relax. Even got buzzed by a glider. Started to warm up on the way down but the trees shaded us plenty. Overall a very good hike. Would highly recommend! Trail is easy of the feet. Hardly any rocks or big steps. Enjoy.

Took us about 3hrs to hike the summit, only seeing one other hiker on the trail after spotting a few deer grazing along the hill side. Steady incline. Glad to have brought the hammocks! Made for a most relaxing and peaceful excursion once we made it to the top. Amazing and breath taking views! I highly recommend starting early in the day.

Amazing hike! View was incredible!

Beautiful Hike. Mostly all switch backs. 360 views from the top. Hike is 10 miles round trip if you go to the very top peak.

Nice easy hike

I love this trail...definitely one of my favorite local hikes. I love that you get the great views of being at over 9,300 ft without too long or overly arduous hike like some of the other local peaks. I highly recommend this hike for those who haven't done it and I look forward to coming back and enjoying this one many times and I have done it twice in less than 6 months.

Parking- Vincent Gap parking lot off Hwy 2...we have gotten there early so it has never been an issue finding a spot and it is a rather large lot (you do need an Adventure Pass)

Trail- it starts near the restroom...the trail to the left going down will take you to Big Horn Mine and the trail going up will take you steeply up to Baden-Powell and there will be many switchbacks and many great views as you make your way up; at about a mile there is a cool wooden bench to catch your breath or catch the great view; it is about 4 miles to the top and you will reach a 1,500 yr old tree less than a half a mile from the top called "Wally Waldron" at a flat kinda narrow portion that is a mini Devil's Backbone; you will then make one final ascent up to the peak where you will see a monument to the namesake who was a Boy Scouts leader and a pole with a writing station that contains some notebooks to log your thoughts, message, etc... and just beyond that you should find the wooden sign that you can hold with the elevation and a US flag

Peak- there is a pretty large area at the top for you to find a spot for yourself/group to not bother others or be bothered by others and there are 360 degree beautiful views

Distance- about 8 miles
Elevation Gain- about 2,800 ft
Peak- about 9,400 ft
Duration- between 4 to 6 hrs depending of course on your speed, how many breaks, and how long you spend at the top
Difficulty- Moderate to Hard (definitely easier than the other SoCal peaks like Mt Baldy or San Jacinto)

Ass kicker! Worth it!

Def all incline most of the way! The start and very end of hike were hardest for me! I got poles & they helped a lot! Worth the hike to the top!

First time here. Great hike. We got here at 8am on Saturday morning, parking lot was filling up. Don’t forget your Adventure Pass! This is a high trafficked trail, very easy to follow and all switchbacks.

There was a lot of PCTers which was awesome to see.

There are also bathrooms at the trailhead (no TP) and a few picnic tables.

I’d say I got about 50/50 shade and sun on the trail.

I logged 8 miles round trip.

This place was so beautiful! We spent the day above the clouds. It was windy and cold on the way up but really nice once we got to the top. The directions on my map from the app was not accurate but I eventually found it. You do need a parking pass FYI

The view is worth the work!

This hike is wonderful! easiest trail to find and follow that I've done thus far. If you are in good shape and have done hikes before I highly recommend this one. I recommend to start early because it starts to get hot by 10 am. I started at 7 and made it back to the parking lot by 11 and it was pretty hot by then.

An incredible hike through the quintessential wooded mountains. I tracked it at just under 8 miles. The last 1.25 miles to the peak are the hardest. We made it up and back to the parking lot in about 5 hrs with plenty of short rest breaks & lunch at the top. Weather was ideal at around upper 50s with a subtle yet steady breeze. Bring at least 3L of water, poles (the trail gets pretty narrow & there was unmelted snow), & 10 essentials.