Mother Miguel Mountain Via Rock House Trail

Mother Miguel Mountain Via Rock House Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bonita, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Once on top, to the east you can see the eastern mountains, rolling hills, and the Salt Creek Golf Course; to the west and south you can see all of Bonita, Sweetwater Reservoir, and Chula Vista all the way to the bay and the sea. Enjoy views all the way to Mexico, Coronado, and Downtown San Diego. No shade, rapid elevation change, very steep in some areas. Loose rocks! Be careful on your way down.

35 minutes ago

I went up the steep path several times before I discovered all the switchbacks. Instead of going straight towards the center path you go left about one hundred yards that leads you to the switchbacks. You can actually go up and over the mountain and return along a path that gives you a better view of the lake. It's about a 5 1/2 mile hike

good climb going up at about 45 degree incline, worth the view. Good spots to stop and hydrate yourself or dog along the way. little rough coming back down, loose rocks and soil make for fun landings if you misstep.

Started off easy then those steep hills. beautiful view tho. saw a little rattler at bottom when going back down..harmless..

Amazing views at the top! Decided to run my way down and was surprised by a rattle snake slithering under a rock I jumped over.. . Yikes! Definitely keep a look out ;)

Good medium beginner hike, i made it up in 45 min i kinda cut through the trail a couple times but its a little steep so being good shoes might slip on way down.

While others don't like the wildlife out here, I say go walk the beach boardwalk. What's the point of hiking a mountain and being upset when you find the residents. I hike this mountain at least 4-5 times a month. I've seen one rattlesnake in July of 2016. They're out there, but I don't see them often. I actually hike to find them. The view to me is the best view so far in San Diego from 8-11am because of sun angle.

My dog was bit by a rattlesnake last month on this trail... He survived! But this dry, hot hike with little to no green anywhere was not worth it. Better hikes with less "wildlife" slithering around elsewhere... The view isn't that great either. So many better hikes in San Diego!!!

For my first hike wasn't that bad. I went on the zig zag on my way up. (Half way up). Be careful on the way down, lose rocks and I couldn't find the zig zag.

Good picture at the top, almost all the incline in one shot

This is a great moderate hike close to home. It isn't long, but challenging enough to burn some calories. The views are beautiful and seeing all the wild flowers and grasses are a nice change from the rock landscapes I've hiked lately.