Learn more

Mosquito Flat to Morgan Lakes

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(54)
Inyo National Forest

Mosquito Flat to Morgan Lakes is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,719 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Trail is absolutely beautiful from beginning to end. We were out there on a holiday weekend so there were a fair amount of people (parking wasn’t fun), but not so much on the trail that it felt over crowded. Multiple lakes and creeks to enjoy along the way. Saw quite a few dogs on the trail. Several families with small children as well, although I doubt they went all the way out. I will definitely be back to enjoy this trail again.

You won’t see many people, if any, over the pass. It’s not a beautiful as the valley and more like if the moon had a couple lakes. Lower Morgan Lake had some trees and was nice. But the lakes are prettier in the valley. I wouldn’t go over the pass again. Just keep Gem as your turn around.

The road leading to the starting point of the trail was close which lead us to hike an extra 45min to reach the starting point of the hike. There was still a lot of snow on the trail which lead us to stop at long lake as we did not have the proper gear. Over all this was a beautiful hike which was fairly easy. I could have given 5 starts if the condition had been better.

I just finished this hike 10/25/19. The weather was perfect and the trail condition was fair-good. It’s October so there was some ice that turned to mud by mid day but nothing to ruin your hike over. It’s also a bit rocky in some areas but all n all pretty good. The scenery is all time and there are little brook trout you can catch along the way if you feel like fishing.

Really great hike! Totally dog friendly and overall easy terrain. Mild uphill trend, even getting up to the pass is a fairly simple switch back section. A bit of loose rock is most of the challenge but watching your step it’s very doable. Once over the pass the lakes are not far! Though they are very cold for swimming! Though refreshing!! Where AllTrails says to camp is an open rock and silt garden. It is flat but it’s also open to the elements. We backtracked and found a hidden spot just before lower Morgan lake. I’m sure you can find a good spot too! Windy and cold at night but not bugs to complain about!!

Mosquitoes flat to Mack lake, heart lake, box lake, long lake, treasure lakes, gem lakes, chickenfoot lake. Greatest hike among all time. Super beautiful! With lazy ass hiking group.

Wow. My first time on this trail. I made it to Lower Morgan Lake, and visited Gem Lakes on the way back. This may be my favorite hike yet! Always near water, good workout (I carry 40#), and the scenery and terrain are constantly changing. Simply gorgeous!

Get through the mosquito part of it for the first mile or so. The views from above the canyon are just amazing.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Nice trail, but very busy. Great scenery a few minutes into the hike, but I'd you are looking for a quiet hike this might not be the ideal trail for you, however If you want an easy trail for the whole family then this is definitely a trail for you. The main and overflow parking area full up quickly.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Beautiful: high mountain lakes.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Hiked this trail on 6/26. Beautiful hike and upper Morgan Lake was worth the trip.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Hiked this on 8/12/17 - great hike high altitude but not super steep, absolutely stunning. Lots of mosquitos so be sure to put Deet on under clothes and spray again before going in. I ran out and got bitten more here than in the Amazon jungle! Go to the end lake it's worth the hike. Bring food it's quite a distance but so worth it! Great hike!

Tue Dec 27 2016

One of the most visually stunning hikes i have ever been on!

Sat Aug 13 2016

Very beautiful easy hike. Mosquito nets not needed.

Sat Aug 06 2016

Do I need mosquito nets or is repellant sufficient ?

Sat Aug 06 2016

Absolutely stunning hike, for a hiker & a photographer! Only negatives are it's Very crowded, & the mosquitoes were horrible when we were there in. I can see why it got it's name! Would do again any day!

Thu Oct 15 2015

Amazing! This is one of the most beautiful hikes you will ever try!

Thu Jul 31 2014

We did this hike on our 3rd hiking day while camping in Mammoth Lakes RV Park. We drove an hour to Mosquito Flat Campground right past Rock Creek Lake off Rock Creek Rd. The trail head is called Little Lakes Valley. We parked our car at 8:45am and we got a space in the closes parking lot. This is a popular place so the first parking lot fills by 9am on weekdays and 8am on weekends. There are parking places down the road if it is full. There are numerous campgrounds along Rock Creek Rd. Mosquito Flat is the end of the road. There is first come first served camping but it is a 1 night maximum. You pass a junction to Mono Pass which leads to Pioneer Basin (which is supposed to be an amazing 5 day back pack). You then pass Mack and Marsh Lake but they just looked like the river to me. The "first" lake you come upon is Heart Lake, it is gorgeous, you go over a little bridge right before it. People were fishing there and a mule pack passed by me delivering stuff to lakes farther up. Next is Box Lake, then Long Lake. After Long Lake there is a sign for Chickenfoot Lake. I took that detour, the trail is a bit easy to lose in one spot but I used my GPS to help me know which way to go. I also could have followed the horse hooves and poop. The trail comes around the back side of the lake. It is a small, somewhat private lake. I didn't see the lake from the main trail. After Long Lake the elevation increases greatly to Gem Lakes. At the first Gem Lakes Trail sign my GPS showed the trail going up the stream but it looks like they are restoring that area so now the trail stays to the left. Then you come upon a sign that directs you to Gem Lake to the right and Morgan Pass to the left. Morgan Pass wasn't much further but it was straight up and I decided to forego it. Gem Lake seems like its 3 small lakes connected. The part farthest in is the biggest it is gorgeous. It seems popular for backpacking to. Quite a few groups were there. I tried to get to its other side but I had to take a trail all the way around to do so, I then ran into a big rock face so I couldn't go on. Here I hit my head and ended up with quite a nice wound on my forehead. I then went back and at lunch near where I first approached the lake. This area is very popular with dog owners. The dogs were swimming in the lakes which I got a kick out of. I would like to come back and camp at Treasure Lakes or Dade Lake which may be off-trail and more private.

Sun Jul 13 2014

My Dad started me on backpacking at the age of 7. We obviously started with small trails only a few minutes from home, then gradually increased our trail sizes from there. We started taking yearly trips to different trail heads all over California. At the age of 14, Mosquito Flat was introduced. It has been, by far, my favorite and the most memorable. We had such a great time, we returned 2 more summer's in a row. Great experience, great scenery, great hike with Dad.

Mon May 07 2012

This is one of my favorite trails. It's one of the highest elevation hikes near Bishop. There are lakes visible in every direction, which makes the beginning two/three miles of switchbacks absolutely beautiful. I've done out and back trips to Summit lake (about 8 miles total), and the full 19-mile backpacking trip. Either way, this trail is well worth your time.