Morro Bay Sand Spit Trail

Morro Bay Sand Spit Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Since I was a little kid going to Morro Bay, I have always wanted to see it from the other side of the bay, and I was not disappointed. It was roped off for the plovers, but it didn't get in the way, and still allowed us to make the loop at the end. Be warned, it is entirely beach sand, so although it is a 10mi hike, it feels like more, but at least the only climb is back to the parking lot.

Went to Morro Bay specifically to hike this trail with our fur-kids. I'd specifically searched for pet friendly trails in Morro Bay and found this one to be perfect. We were so excited. We got all geared up in the parking lot and started off on the trail, we were almost to the beach when we were turned away by park officials. They threatened to fine us $250 per dog if we did not turn around. They tried to recommend other trails and beaches, but we wanted privacy, and no other beach could offer us what this trail could. We were so extremely disappointed that we left the park immediately after getting to our car. What a waste of time. If you're looking to take your dogs on a nice hike, this is NOT where you should take them. Very disappointed in the State park system, especially thinking as a tax payer and where all my money is going. The dirty, used Band-Aides that lined most of the first part of the trail, were not from dogs, so I do not understand why they are not allowed but people are. Perhaps the park should consider banning humans from using the trail, especially if they want to maintain its integrity. Will go back when dogs are allowed, it would have been an awesome trail, I'm sure.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Nice walk on a warm day along the beach. Lots of different shore birds. State Park crews roping off plover nesting areas and loaded up a huge whale vertebrae.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Hiked on July 4 to check out the fireworks in Cayucos it was very cool.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

nice park filled with trails for every level...All thought during summer months the trails can be packed & trashed in areas, I prefer to go here in the off months as its more peaceful... also offers camping, fishing, Kayaking, surfing.