Moro Rock Trail

Moro Rock Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November.

Distance: 0.4 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

NOTE: The road up to the trailhead is seasonally closed. This road generally opens by the Wednesday before Memorial Day in late May and closes when it becomes impassable due to snow. In heavy snow years, the road may open later than usual. When the road is closed, it becomes a ski trail. In summer when the free park shuttles are running (usually from late May to early September), the road closes to private vehicles on weekends and holidays from morning through late afternoon. You can park at Giant Forest Museum or any other shuttle stop and ride the free park shuttle along the road. No drinking water is available along this road, so be sure to take some with you. Moro Rock Trail in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park scales a granite dome via a steep 1/4-mile staircase to the summit offering a spectacular view of the Great Western Divide and the western half of the park. The parking area for Moro Rock is 2 miles from the village. A steep 1/4 mile staircase climbs over 300' to the summit of a granite dome, offering spectacular views of the western half of Sequoia National Park and the Great Western Divide. This chain of mountains runs north/south through the center of Sequoia National Park, "dividing" the watersheds of the Kaweah River to the west and the Kern River to the east. Moro Rock is a dome-shaped granite monolith. Common in the Sierra Nevada, these domes form by exfoliation - casting off in scales, plates, or sheets of rock layers on otherwise unjointed granite. Outward expansion of the granite causes the exfoliation. Expansion results from load relief: when the overburden that once capped the granite has eroded away, the source of compression is removed, and the granite slowly expands. Fractures that form during exfoliation tend to cut corners. This ultimately results in rounded, dome-like forms.

Was a little apprehensive to try this at first, as the knees like to complain on stairs, but once adrenaline kicked in, off I went. This was a wonderful, unique hike, and the views were spectacular!! People of all ages and sizes were going up, only a few turned back due to the steepness of stairs, but overall most made it. Afraid of heights? This might be your cure!! Go at your own pace, and take time to pause where there’s room, and take in the beautiful views. You will be glad you did this!! Can’t wait to go again next year!

Just praising w/ others. Truly worthy kinda of climb. Amazing views. Stay to your own pace and you’ll get to the top.

Went in the middle of October. Perfect weather. Little busy. Recommend going first thing in the morning. Also recommend parking at the giant museum and making the 1.5 mile hike to Moro Rock.

An extremely cool hike. It's very well protected with hand rails and stones making an otherwise exposed climb of a Sierra granite dome accessible to many. Our 3 year old son was able to navigate this route both up and down, without an episode, and it felt safe to both his parents. The views were great.

6/30/19 We got early at Giant Forest Museum around 7:30am where we parked our car. That’s where you can take the shuttle going up to the Moro Rock Trail point but we didn’t take the shuttle, instead we hiked the 1.7 mile trail for 30 mins which I highly recommend, the trail was beautiful with big trees, flowers, water spring and more to explore. You’ll see the big white sign of Moro Rock to start. The Moro Rock was steeped with hand rails, another level of stair master but when you got to the top, it was spectacular and be sure to go up there early, you want to enjoy the view with less people. At 8:30am, it was the perfect time. Going back to the Giant Forest Museum, we didn’t take the shuttle again. We did the other side trail which is Bear Hill Trail for less than 2 miles and it was beautiful too. I would love to go back to these trails again.

Easy paved stairs with 400 steps. Very safe with all the fences around. Good for the entire family. The point of view at the top and the informative signs are very interesting. A must do in the park because it is short, even if it is overcrowded.

recorded Moro Rock Trail

Crowded spot with paved trail and railings. A short steep walk ends in spectacular views

Not that much exertion for absolutely spectacular views!

Beautiful view

Beautiful! Easy hike

Trail is in very good condition with steps and handrails. However, because of the elevation difference in a short span, it can be difficult for those less fit. I walk on a regular basis but had to pace myself due to the elevation but was able to get to the top. My husband made it a little passed the halfway point because of his knees. The view is spectacular!

Beautiful hike, but do not bring beginners, its pretty steel and uphill all the way there.

I recommend this short but intense hike. I too am anxious with heights, but I said what the heck, I can always turn around. The hand rails kept me feeling safe enough, I was just careful not to look down unless I was stopped in a safe location. Fun! Just go slow, you’ll love the view from the top. I did this on September 24th, a Tuesday. I can imagine the experience might be different if the trail was super packed.

Short and sweet. The steps lead to a great vantage point. Handrails all along for those who are afraid of heights.

These 350 steps were killer for me I had to stop and catch my breathe twice but the views made it worth it. Crowded, can’t imagine what it would have been like peak season. I am also afraid of heights but it was good with the rails to ease my fear.

Loved this short trail, the views made it worth the hike in August heat.

Absolutely amazing views when I did this last year. It definitely will cause you some anxiety if you’re afraid of heights, but the view from the top is so worth it! Definitely gets crowded though, hit it early.

Beautiful view inside the Sequoia Park, I loved it, kind and light path, suitable for children, I went with my 4 year old girl and she li climbed even before me

I’m super afraid of heights and I’m glad I did this one. I cringed at some parts, but the views are amazing. It’s not too difficult but it is a lot of stairs. Take it slow and let others pass while you catch your breath.

AWESOME views. However, we hiked the whole thing from the visitor center, and then found a parking lot right by Moro Rock where we could've driven to... it's a pretty walk (we saw lots of lizards so that was fun!), but ultimately the time could've been spent better. If you start at the visitor's center, it's the 3.6 mi hike. If you start at the Moro Rock parking lot, it's .4 mi. I'm giving it a 4 because the views were awesome, but I wish the directions and signs in the park were clearer.

Spectacular views all the way. It is also easy if you are not afraid of heights: it simply goes up for five minutes (or more, depending on how many breaks you choose to take). Parking fills up fast, but you can also just park a little earlier on the road and walk the rest up. Only thing I wish was that people would be more aware of others that would like to pass (this is basically one-lane, so no chance to pass someone in front of you if they don't let you) ...

Morro Rock is a unique stair climbing hike that leads you to the summit of a 6500 rock. Out and and back the trail is 0.8 miles. You have to climb about 400 steps to reach the top of the rock. On a clear day the views from the top can be breathtaking. Beware of this hike if you are easily winded or have knee problems.

Short hike but not easy as it is all stairs the way up. Just take your time, there are various informational panels at key spots where you can rest and get some information on the surrounding areas. The view up top is amazing. I recommend getting there early before the shuttles drop off there to beat the crowd. Also the lighting is better earlier in the morning. Drive up instead of the shuttle so you can make a detour at tunnel log to drive through using your car!

Short, narrow stair climb up to an amazing view. If you don’t like heights or open areas might skip.

Cool trail but view was very hazy

"Paved" path carved into the granite. I'd recommend proper hiking footwear because even when dry it seemed slick and it's actually quite a climb up (we saw people in flip flops and we were amazed they didn't hurt themselves). Amazing place to catch sunset, with 360 degree views of the park.

Beautiful views. Free shuttle from the museum or other locations on weekends. Busy.