Mormon Rocks Interpertive Trail

Mormon Rocks Interpertive Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Bernardino, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The historic Mormon Trail of the previous century passed through this valley of geological curiosity.

First of all, don't expect peace and solitude in this location. It is located near some main roads and you will hear traffic, construction vehicles, trucks and trains from almost all locations. The area was burned a few years ago, but it is starting to make a come back. The main trails are in pretty good shape, but a few areas are fairly steep, unstable, and have loose rocks and sand from erosion. The trails are well marked but all of the interpretive signs are burned or illegible. Although listed as a 1-mile hike, you can easily get 3 miles of hiking if you explore all of the ridge top trails, add some out and back segments, and loop around a little. I was lucky to have a mild cloudy evening with a slight breeze in August. It made for nice evening walk.

The trail was open and great, short but fun. The rangers station gate was open and the fire ravaged landscape adds another dimension to this beautiful area. Try stopping on the road just before the Ranger station and hike around as well.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

It is still closed!

Monday, April 04, 2016

The gates were closed but I parked outside and walked in. Mind the "watch for snakes" sign. I saw one rattler out sunning himself on the trail.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

So frustrated. My family and I are outdoor enthusiasts. We love hiking, biking & camping in our local mountains and purchase the yearly adventure pass every year. We've been trying to get up to Mormon Rock hiking trail for weeks now. Every time we drive up there the gates are closed. I've contacted the Lytle Creek Ranger Station for information. All they tell me is that Mormon Rock is closed do to vandalism. They warned me that if you park along the highway (with or without adventure pass) you will be ticketed by the CHP. Before you plan on a hiking trip to Mormon Rock call the Ranger first before you waste your time. If the US Forestry contains to close trails. I won't be renewing my adventure pass.
Lytle Creek Ranger #909-382-2851 / Mormon Rock Station #760-249-3177

Friday, January 29, 2016

It was good I loved it

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Tried to take the family for a little hike today and the gate to the parking lot was closed. There were no signs posting hours/days of operation or any explanation as to why it was closed. Bummer to drive there and find it all closed up.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Friday, October 09, 2015

My dad was a firefighter stationed at Mormon rocks, so of course I had to make the journey out there to explore his old stomping grounds, my parents even had some of their first dates here. This place has a special place in my heart for that reason...
Overall it's a cool place, has a great geologic story. I brought my dog and she loved it too! A lot of places to climb and explore. Just be sure to bring plenty of water (like you should with every hike).

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Monday, September 14, 2015

Loved it! Easy to get to, which is a huge bonus in this area. Took the kids and dog. Everyone had a great time and hiked the trail with ease. We'll definitely do this ones again. Great views!

Thursday, June 11, 2015

My son and I enjoyed this hike! It was easy and parking is free! You do have to be careful of rattle snakes.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Quite impressive views at the top of the nearby rocks and forest. Just recently, they fenced off parking outside the station near 138. Be aware the station closes at 5. If you are inside in the lot, you may be trapped for the night. It's never happened to me, but I always worry it may. The trail has many splinters, but is fairly easy to follow. The beginning is uphill for about a quarter-mile then flattens out at the top. On the decline it loops near rocks that are regularly climbed by us before heading all the way back down. It's about a mile and a great run if you can manage it without walking at the beginning. I recommend it if you want to run in altitude without sliding around too much on a hike.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Monday, November 10, 2014

Very short simple trail but it is well worth the time. Its close to the freeway and can be completed at anytime of day. Decided to go right after work. Its clean and peaceful. A trail you can go to weekly as a workout routine.