Mori Point and Sweeney Ridge Loop Trail via Skyline College

Mori Point and Sweeney Ridge Loop Trail via Skyline College is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Bruno, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,234 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

A nice trek along the Ridge and then down to the coast and looping back up to the Ridge. Awesome views. NOTE: There are no dogs allowed on the trail between Skyline College and Sweeney Ridge as it is a butterfly reserve.

Nice hike. At the end it is a bit of a steep drop and trail turns from nice to a bit over grown.

Park in the visitors parking lot and walk over. Generally a really nice trail with a few steep hikes and a nice view at the halfway point. Would recommend going clockwise; don’t recommend crossing the highway where specified when leaving the beach. We went around to the next stop and used an underpass by the golf course rather than crossing a 4 lane highway without a stop light.

Great hike on a foggy summer day

Couldn’t do it because, after driving here, I was surprised to find that the entrance is at a college where there’s no visitor parking anywhere

Took me 5 hrs. Very nice trail, not overgrown at all. The only problem is hard to find your way. There’s a turning point where you see a church but the road is fenced up - you can just walk around the fence the entrance is very hidden

You can’t get any better than the California coast

I really enjoyed this hike. Trail conditions were very good. I would say this is a moderate hike, with just a few places that you need to scramble, which are mainly on the coast. Nice cool foggy day. It is mostly in the open, so sunscreen is a must.

Nice trail with some good uphills! It was cold and foggy, but that is to be expected during the SF summer months. We did hike this clockwise, and we were glad we did because it would have been difficult to find the Farallones View Trail from Rockaway Beach. Parked at Skyline college right near the trailhead - it seemed like no permits were required for the weekend days.

Great trails & views! Mori Point & the coastline is spectacular & a great place to chill & recuperate before heading up Sweeney Ridge. Almost forgot how challenging it was, but it sure reminded me to never forget again

This is a nice trail, esp for training. Lots of elevation change, nice views of coast and hills. Mud could make steeper sections very difficult. Rec going clockwise as navigation seemed easier. Two tips: First off, DON'T CROSS THE HIGHWAY AT THE MARKED POINT. Go north along the parallel side streets (Lundy or Bradford) for about 200 yards and you'll come to an underpass. Much safer. Second, if you're hiking CCW and can't find the Farallones View trailhead (after 2nd road crossing), go just north of the church and up a hill to a parking lot with a couple of kiosks. the trail is through the grass at the South end of the lot, next to the kiosk. It is narrow and goes sharply uphill.

This was a difficult hike, with over 2k altitude gain over almost 10 miles — I’m not sure why it’s classified as moderate (for comparison, my last difficult hike was the Dipsea and this was much harder). The views here were not spectacular, but exposed periods on the ridge were pretty great, as well as the view of both the bay and the ocean at the same time. There were a few times where I had to get on all fours to get down VERY steep inclines, and the trail was pretty much muddy the entire time. The scramble up from the beach seemed sort of dangerous; I’m not sure what would have happened had I tripped. Like most people, I would have been pretty lost without the AllTrails GPS.

Since moving to the peninsular, this has become my default choice. Within a 15 km hike, there’re views of the airport and east bay, San Fran and Miri point coast line and the rolling hills. You really can’t ask for more!

Nice hike. Had a dog so parked by the highway and went clockwise

If you hike this loop I recommend hiking clockwise. I made the mistake of hiking counter clockwise and could not find where the trail picked back up after crossing the road from Mori point. I was where the trail head should have been, but as always in California quite literally nothing is identified or marked. I searched around for probably 20 min trying to find the hiking trail, but found no success. I ended up on a mountain biking trail that ran kind of close to the hiking trail and figured I could cut across a gulch through some brush to get to the hiking trail. DO NOT DO THIS! Yes the trails are close, but the brush and foliage is thick and there is an area between the two where some homeless people have set up camp. This hike took me 4.5 hours to complete when it should have taken me 3-3.5. Be sure to take plenty of water on this hike as your are exposed for essentially all of it

This is my third time hiking in the area and each time I see something new. This is a great workout with stairs and a good mix of ascending/descending, all with a great view. This is also one of the shorter mileage hikes that features the ridge and the beach.

Monday, August 06, 2018

Beautiful trail. Watch out for the poison ivy

Monday, March 05, 2018

We modified this trail a bit by starting at Rockaway Beach and skipping the trail that leads to and from the college. It was about two miles shorter doing it this way. We went counter-clockwise and the first three miles were straight up with amazing views everytime we turned around. The top flattened out for about a mile and then you head back down with those same amazing views in front of you! Crossing the road was pretty annoying. You have to be prepared to wait for a break in traffic and then run to the middle of the road, wait for another break in traffic and run to the other side. We walked about a block through the neighborhood and connected with the lower Mori point trail (bathrooms) and then it was about .3mi to connect back with the coastal trail to Mori Point or you could continue on the lower trail and take a steep set of stairs to get up to Mori Point. The views from Mori Point are fantastic! We timed it so we could be there around sunset, which is why we parked at Rockaway Beach.

Thursday, February 01, 2018

Solid loop with great views! There was tons of available parking at Skyline College and it was free.99! Overall a lightly trafficked trails east of hwy 1, but very very busy on the trails near the beach. As Paul Berens mentioned, finding the Baquinao Trail was difficult. It seemed mostly used for mountain biking, but luckily we did not encounter any descending cyclists.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Beautiful hike. And a great workout. We followed the map as best we could but three points where we got disconnected from the trail—or where the map is tricky to follow—are: 1) crossing the Cabrillo Hwy (where Sweeney Ridge is transitioning to Old Mori Rd). As others are pointing out the crossing point on the map is a jay-walk and extremely dangerous, so use the cross-walk just north of it. 2) the Bluff Trail as it descends the bluff down to Rockaway Beach 3) picking up the beginning of the Baquinao Trail just north of Our Savior's Lutheran Church. On the last point, we ascended what we thought might be an MTB trail just north of and parallel to Baquinao—beware of downhilling mountain bikers! Anyway, I'm keen to try it again to see if/where we went astray.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Really cool trail. Can get a little interesting as far as going down hill goes. Will definitely keep going.

Monday, December 04, 2017

Sweet & Quiet

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Awesome workout trail. Loved it.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Definitely a hard trail. Gorgeous views of the ocean and the bay.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Hard trail, if you are looking for a work out. Make sure you have traction on your shoes and use the GPS on the AllTrails map to guide you. As far as views goes, nothing to write home about. Also crossing the highways were a buzzkill.