Mori Point and Sweeney Ridge Loop Trail via Skyline College

Mori Point and Sweeney Ridge Loop Trail via Skyline College is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Bruno, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A nice trek along the Ridge and then down to the coast and looping back up to the Ridge. Awesome views. NOTE: There are no dogs allowed on the trail between Skyline College and Sweeney Ridge as it is a butterfly reserve.

Hard trail, if you are looking for a work out. Make sure you have traction on your shoes and use the GPS on the AllTrails map to guide you. As far as views goes, nothing to write home about. Also crossing the highways were a buzzkill.

Trail is not a circle. Points on map do not connect and easy to get lost. Never hiking this map again!

Banquinao and Sweeney Ridge trails are absolutely gorgeous. Both are very steep and have extensive unmaintained sections, so as as earlier commenter mentioned: these trails are for experienced hikers only. Folks who aren't comfortable with scree and steep grades won't have a good time with this hike. Crossing the highway is less than fun. I would actually hesitate to do this hike again because of those two crossings.

This is definitely a hard hike. But it was beautiful!! The trail starts right above Lot B of Skyline college. It's a small lot, so if it's full, there are other lots to park in. I followed the suggested Alltrails map with my GPS and so glad I did. I would have gotten lost if I didn't. There were so many forks and no signs. I took a left at the first fork and did the loop clockwise. The trail eventually landed me in the back of a church parking lot. And going down was steep, so wear good shoes! Then it was time to cross the highway. There was a light with a crosswalk which made it easy. There was a gas station and restaurants if you wanted to make a pit stop for a bathroom break or lunch. I went to the beach part and had my lunch there. At the end of the beach I had to cross a small section of water to continue on. You can rock hop to try and avoid getting your feet wet, but I just walked through it. I don't mind wet feet. The climb up this mountain is steep, but once you get to the top it even outs. Then you get to hike with the ocean as your view. You eventually get to the part where you have to cross the highway again to start going back on the other side of the loop. This time it was a challenge. The map made it look like you needed to jay-walk. I wasn't going to do that on a highway so I walked a little further down to a crosswalk. There was no light and cars wouldn't stop, so it made it a bit challenging to get across. When I finally got across, I walked along the highway, which I didn't like and is the reason I didn't rate this hike 5 stars. It was short, but I didn't feel comfortable. You then have to walk up a steep windy road to get to the Sweeney Ridge trail. This part of the trail was brutal for me. It's all uphill. And since it was towards the end of the hike, I was tired and thought I was gonna die. Not really...lol, but it was hard for me. I think no matter which direction you go, there's going to be a climb back up, so it doesn't really matter which way you go. It took a total of 7 hours to complete, but I'm a slow hiker and have asthma, so I took a lot of breaks.