Learn more

Morgan Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.3 mi Elevation gain 1,230 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Directions from Lake Elsinore, CA: Travel southwest on Highway 74 to Killen Road (6S07). The trailhead is located on Killen Road 2.8 miles south of Ortega Highway (Hwy. 74). Ample parking available.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (146)
Photos (480)
Recordings (127)
Completed (208)
Efrain Mercado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingBugs

Nice trail ,great for beginners..

Teresa Parsley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 16 2020
Hiking

Trail itself was wonderful. Downhill for most of the first part with plenty of shade off and on. Some parts were a little overgrown but not too bad. It was nice to stop and use the restrooms across from the Candy Store before beginning our mild climb back. What made the trail 3 stars were the bugs! We were well prepared for ticks but nothing seemed to work for the other bugs! Next time I will wear a net.

View Teresa's Recording
Kevin Herrera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 30 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

Nice 4.5 hour hike for a family of casual hikers. Only the first mile has shade so come early. Plenty of parking. Saw a rattlesnake on the trail. The candy shop at the end of the trail was closed which was a let down but understandable. Lots of gnats in the shaded area as well.

View Kevin's Recording
Kathleen Jolly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 19 2020
HikingBugs

I did this trail a day ago with my 13 year old son. I really liked that there were a lot of shaded parts. We went out and back in four hours and fourteen minutes. I would do this one again. I definitely recommend it. We saw a couple snakes, but nothing we couldn’t run by.

Rachel Pradhan
HikingOver grown

Beautiful trail, quiet, lots of shade. Bees are in full force - you can hear them, but you didn’t see many. Beautiful wildflowers. Free parking. But it is overgrown so highly recommend long pants and long sleeves to protect your skin.

Denise Covert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 14 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

i really enjoyed this trail we took it down to the falls . alot of rocky terrain and overfrown areas on the trail but plenty of shade and the views were gorgeous. bring plenty of water and keep an eye on ticks. only came across 1 rattlesnake .

Laurie Rudisill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 14 2020
Hiking

Morgan Trail to Sitton Peak with a total of 16.4 miles. Great hike with intermittent shade. Last mile to Sitton Peak is a fun climb and well worth the panoramic views of wilderness and mountains. Lots of ticks unfortunately but they fling off easily.

Andrew Schrock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 05 2020
Hiking

Did this backwards, parking along side of 74. Cleveland forest continues to surprise! Amazing variety of plants and views.

View Andrew's Recording
Laurie Rudisill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 02 2020

Morgan Trail to Tenaja Falls was 15.6 round trip. Great hike but it got a little hot as most of the hike is open to the sun. I found 3 ticks on me and my buddy had one fly from a tree and land on her. Lots of wild flowers and different landscapes and changing terrain from solid ground to rocky. Elevation is totally doable. Overall fun hike.

Katie O'Leary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 24 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Took about 7 hours round trip so make sure you start before 11am if you want to be out before night time. The water was still flowing too! A little over 15 miles round trip.

Laurie Rudisill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 18 2020
Hiking

Very pleasant and easy hike. Begins with forest hike and lots of trees. Then opens up to the sky but with intermittent tall shrubbery which allows for some shade. There is no peak but the environment is extremely peaceful and serene. We saw lots of bunnies and even heard a loud frog croaking.

Shantanu Deshpande
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 12 2020
HikingMuddy
View Shantanu's Recording
Surge Huapaya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Apr 10 2020
HikingFloodedWashed out

Looks promising but currently washed out due to rain

View Surge's Recording
Barbara Henley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 22 2020

Beautiful hike!! We went in Morgan trailhead 2.2miles then at that marker we choose Tenaja falls trailhead another 7.7. We are beginner hikers so for us the trail was moderately difficult but we were tired. The elevation was a bit much for us newbies but we trekked on about 2 miles and had lunch on a rock shelf overlooking the beautiful canyon. Although we didn’t make it to the falls we will definitely come back to try again. Perfect weather sunny and cool but took off light layer jacket. There are some tree covered spots at the beginning then sun along the trail.

Jennifer Barney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 19 2020
Hiking

Nice hike. Perfect weather today.

View Jennifer's Recording
Jesus Duarte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jan 10 2020

This hike is cool because it has its own little microclimate when you get to the wooded area ... Really nice to lay a blanket and have a nice little picnic (takes about 15-30 mins in). Sounds of creaks, birds, and the sound of the wind hitting the trees is ear candy and is a delight if trying to escape the busy civilization. got to half the trail ... take water and snacks.

Osiris Perez areliz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 05 2020
Hiking

I did half of this trail with friends and 1 dog. we parked one car at the Morgan Trailhead and parked another car at the Bear Canyon/San Juan Loop parking lot. We hiked from the Morgan Trail to Bear Canyon loop and ended up by the candy store. 10 miles was a bit much for us so we just did half. It was a lovely trail. well marked and easy to follow.

View Osiris's Recording
Eve Stumpges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Dec 03 2019
HikingPrivate property

Wonderful trail except there’s a loop I took at the end and it ended up being private property so don’t do what I did and just go straight through and back. Beautiful forest!

View Eve's Recording
Michael Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 13 2019
HikingScramble

Got here at 3 pm and the weather was perfect. Walked 8.29 miles. The views are humbling.

Jennifer Boudreau
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 23 2019
Hiking

Did this trail 9/22/19. The gps coordinates for driving directions take you directly to the actual trail head for this hike. AllTrails recording wants you to walk back along the paved road and do the first bit off the actual trail. This trailhead was nowhere to be found- and I tried. 20 minutes of bushwhacking and being right on the trail according to the recording, but in the middle of dense overgrown vegetation. Save yourself the hassle (and the ten minutes picking plant daggers our of tour boots and socks, and take the nice,well marked Morgan Trail. There were also 3 times along the portion I did that the recording will ping you for being off route, but just keep following the very nice, well maintained, well marked trail! A late start from home, and half an hour wasted at the beginning means I didn’t finish the hike, due to time constraints, but it was nice and I will come back another time. The first mile is very nicely shaded, as it’s down low in the canyon following the (currently dried out) creek bed. The shade, however, comes with lots of persistent gnats, so bring your spray or your bandana, if you do t want to eat them. After the first mile, you climb out of the canyon and lose the bugs and a lot of the shade, at least for the section I did. Very lightly trafficked also. Saw a handful of people in the first mile both coming and going, but absolutely no one for the rest of the hike.

Dana Kuipers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 29 2019
HikingBugs

I had the entire trail to myself. Didn’t see anyone else the whole time. The gnats became a bit much! But they leave once it opens up. Beautiful wilderness! Make sure you bring some cash for the candy store. You will also need 3 bottles of water. I was having to preserve my water half way back. #socaldirtpathchallenge.

robbie dick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Mar 15 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Not very crowded. Some parts are shade-covered, some are exposed. I took 2 liters of water, but wished I had at least 1 more. It's a gradual downhill hike (if you end at the Candy Store), so the hike back up was harder than I was expecting, but I'm not in the best of shape. In hindsight, I should have refilled my water at the Candy Store instead of just buying peanut brittle, although the brittle was delicious. The hike took me about 5 hours, going at a snail's pace with probably 6 rest-breaks. A bit muddy and buggy (no biting insects though) in certain parts, but that's to be expected given the recent rains. The trail was marked pretty clearly, but there was one fork where I got mixed-up and walked down a different path (game trail?), so make sure to make a mental note of landmarks when you come across a fork. Lastly, check out the Candy Store - Shanon was a sweet-heart.

James Cocco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 24 2018
Running

Nice trail. Great for trail running. Love the variety of terrain and ecosystems.

John Pycior
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Feb 01 2018
Hiking

One of my favorites, very quiet and doesn't have much traffic.

Ken Knecht
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 04 2017
Hiking

Your can start at the Ortega Oaks Candy Store and take Bear Canyon in about 3/4 of a mile. Morgan Trail splits off to the left. If you go straight that goes to Sitton Peak and 4 Corners. It's more of a walk then a hike. I don't consider anything less then 1000' elevation gain as a hike. If you go out and back it's about 10 miles from the Candy Store. You should stop at the candy store. All homemade chocolate and the owner is very nice. If you have an America the Beautiful pass you can park free. If not it's $5.00 to park and you need to have the pass. I started at the Candy Store on Bear Canyon. Took Morgan Trail to the end at Killen/S. Main Divide Road. Then took that road, where the Morgan Trailhead sign is and you can look down into Lake Elsinore, over to the Firefighters Memorial. Then Ortega Highway back to the candy store. Don't recommend walking back on Ortega like I did because there is no sidewalk on most of it and cars come by fast. Loop was a little over 12 miles.

Breanna Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 16 2017
Hiking

The trail was good. But it drops you off at the end at some other parking lot.

joy bud
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 13 2017
Hiking

2nd attempt at San Mateo Peak. Started at Morgan Trail and took a left before sign in box. Got to the right turn past the sign for Rancho Capo Loop to go up to San Mateo peak trail but stopped doe to a swarm of relentless bees and really bad muck we didn't want to cross. Ended up staying on trail that said Rancho Cap Loop which eventually ended at a gate in a community at Monterey and Arroyo streets. Took South Main Divide road back to Morgan because bugs were bad. We saw no loop trail. Really overgrown and lots of bugs.