More Mesa Trail is a 2.8 mile out and back trail located near Goleta, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 114 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Note: Please do not proceed down Orchid Drive to access the trail. There are two trailheads. One is off of Shoreline Drive near Shoreline Farms. The other trailhead is off of Shoreline Drive about 15-20 feet farther down the road from the previous trailhead.

Beautiful! The path from the trailhead leading up to the field area is very overgrown, with LOTS of poison oak. (I definitely think I got some on me.) Maybe try parking on one of the residential streets and entering the area another way (you can see on the AllTrails map where certain streets have small paths leading to the larger trail.) Very worth the possible poison oak! Beautiful view, which I’m sure would be even more beautiful at sunset/sunrise.

If you're a Covid-19 skeptic, just go to More Mesa this weekend! So many IGNORANT, disrespectful nit-wit college kids and other goobers were there on Saturday. I was very reckless and stupid in my own way when I was in college,but these kids are a special kind of ignorant! We're peaking in Covid-19 but More Mesa was packed on Saturday, 4/25. The walking path from Mockingbird Lane is wide enough to maintain more social distance than most trails in Santa Barbra. However, the dip shits that I encountered on this trail not only avoided making distance. They appeared to deliberately avoid making distance, disrespectfully holding the center of the trail. Very strange times indeed! The human race never fails to remind us of how reckless & ignorant a species we are. On a secluded weekday, this is probably a great getaway. A beautiful beach and excellent grassy mesa with running and biking trails. Like most of California, Springtime is the very best time to visit, when it's actually GREEEN. It's supposedly a 'nude beach.' But which beach is not?? Drive along the 101, pull over anywhere, walk down to the beach and undress like I do. There's mile and miles of beautiful beach where you can walk around naked and not be surrounded by only men.

The private gate with a code both ways is annoying the is a public beach and the people here allowed to this you have to go though difficult areas the hike back because the “private access” isn’t allowed for the public

recorded More Mesa

Overgrown at first but then by the water is beautiful . Lots of bugs

Great hike/walk during the Covid19 event. Wild flowers in bloom, brown pelicans diving and heavenly views of Goleta Valley and SY Mt range. A must

Added beach workout halfway through

Great trail along the edge of the cliff. Absolutely beautiful views of the open ocean (and some nude sunbathers if you’re lucky :P). There are “stairs” down to more mesa beach at the southern end. We took these down and walked all the way back on the beach to a set of stairs we had seen from the cliff, only to find the stairs on the other end are private and lead up to a locked gate. Luckily some people who lived in the community were picnicking at the bottom of the stairs and let us in with their key. All beaches in california are public beaches, so I don’t agree with privatizing access :( just glad we didn’t have to walk another 3 miles to get back the way we came.

Gorgeous walk along the cliff. As another reviewer noted, the mapped out route is super overgrown so we entered a little further along. I had my dog off lead most of the way through the fields but put him on when we got close to the cliff. All other dogs were off lead but there was no fog so it didn’t feel too dangerous. I saw some horse manure so if you have a dog that chases horses, be aware! The bit along the cliff was spectacular- worth a visit right before sunset. Gorgeous! Just to add: if you walk to the very south along the cliff, there’s a staircase leading down to the very very very beautiful beach down below. It’s a really lovely place, especially at sunset. A must place to visit, especially if you have a dog.

We tried to do this hike yesterday and it was our first time on the trail. We thought it would be similar to Douglas Preserve. Everyone had their dogs off leash so we thought it would be ok to do so as well. The cliff appears out of nowhere, especially with the fog, and the path takes you literally along the cliff edge - I’ve never been on a path like that, again..Douglas Preserve the path is about 15ft from the edge. Needless to say, our dog slipped and ended up on a ledge hanging off the cliff about 20ft below us. We had to call the fire department to repel down to save him. It was awful. Afterward, one of the firemen said that a few months ago another dog fell and wasn’t as lucky... So BE CAREFUL and this is a DOG-ON-LEASH park no matter what you see other people doing!

More Mesa is only about a 10 minute drive from where I live, so I go there often. It's many acres of mostly natural chaparral/native California flora and fauna. I particularly enjoy the ocean views. There are a couple things that sort of ruin it for me: rude hikers and horse crap. The most common rude hikers are those in small groups of two to four people -- usually women (sorry but it's true) -- who talk at a much higher volume than necessary. They can be heard from a half mile away and it completely destroys my enjoyment of the sounds of nature I went there for: crashing waves, singing birds, etc. The other common form of rude hiker are those who I greet with a friendly "Hello" and they just walk by like I don't exist. Very anti-social of them. My other complaint: Inconsiderate horse riders who make zero effort to clean up after their horse takes a giant dump all over the trail. Every time I walk More Mesa there are several "mine fields" of fresh horse dung I'm forced to navigate around. Just as dog owners are required to clean up after their pets, horse riders need to do the same.

The entrance marked on the map is extremely overgrown. I would suggest walking a bit further down the street and u will find a narrow path that will lead u to the trail( Has dog poop bags at head of trail). Has a stunning view of the ocean and has many branching paths. That allows u to make this hike as long or short as u would like.

Sat May 25 2019

Trail along the north boundary was heavily overgrown and became nearly impassible at one point. I had to turn back. However, the trail along the shore is nice. You can walk along the mesa ridge and return on the beach.

Wed Apr 03 2019

Love this place for runs with my dog. 5 stars, however DOG OWNERS BE WARNED right now it is infested with ticks. Pulled 11 off of my dog, who was on leash the whole time.. 0 on me. Just a community warning for the dog people :) FYI season is March - June in SB. They usually take 24 hrs to attach (aka all the bad stuff) so just do a quick check after. We were able to pull all off the dog quickly and safely. It’s a good idea to keep an old pair of tweezers in the car. Happy hiking/trail running!

recorded More Mesa

Sat Mar 02 2019

Trail is very overgrown with a lot of poison oak but only in the beginning(5-10min). Trail is also flooded everywhere, your shoes/socks will get wet if you go 1-2 months within this post. It’s pretty flat and easy the whole way. Once you make it out of the beginning you are rewarded with beautiful wild flowers and ocean vistas. Happy trails. Get out there. -Verified Completed-

Sun Oct 21 2018

I enjoy walking the trail that follows the edge of the bluffs overlooking the ocean. At certain times of year, I've had flocks of Brown Pelicans fly so close to me I could almost reach out and touch them. I've seen spectacular multi-hued fog over the ocean as the sun sets. More Mesa is covered with a wide variety of native California plants and flowers. I have two complaints: It's a shame that it's in the direct flight path of large commercial airliners about to land at Santa Barbara Airport. I've been there during times when another big plane flies low overhead every 3 - 5 minutes. My other complaint is about rude hikers. When sharing a narrow dirt path and passing someone walking in the opposing direction, it is common courtesy to say "Hello" or "Good Morning" or whatever. I've found that my smile, nod and friendly "Hello" often receives only a blank stare from the stranger who just brushed shoulders with me as he/she passes by. Maybe they're zombies..?

Mon Aug 06 2018

Great trail and views. FYI - If you go to More Mesa Beach the local rule is nude beach to right and clothes to the left.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Awesome, easy, beautiful trail!

Fri May 11 2018

Great running spot with awesome bluffs. Stick to the main trails right now, don't venture onto smaller overgrown ones. My dog and I spent about 10-15 mins on a smaller trail and she ended up getting 70+ ticks! It's prime season right now, not usually this badat all.

Mon Apr 30 2018

POISON OAK AND TICKS SO MANY TICKS.

Fri Jan 19 2018

This trail can be done in a comfortable pace. Not strenuous. The scenic view of the ocean is EXPECTACULAR. We saw people riding their bikes, walking with their dogs, and some horse poop. The entrance is surrounded by poison ivy. I will not bring a kid here. I wore long sleeve shirt, pants, hat, closed shoes and it helped feel a little safer when entering the trail. This was for about 10mins of walking. It was a great walk and great views. PS this walk was on Dec 2017. I am unsure if fires, mudslide, rain have affected the area after that date.

Wed Jan 17 2018

Didn’t feel especially safe. The trail is very overgrown and had a number of bees and poison oak. It’s also very secluded, and has a lot of little inlets filled with beer bottles. I wasn’t super comfortable finishing on my own. I made it to the first clearing and it was a gorgeous view, but definitely recommend taking a friend and wearing long pants!

Thu Sep 07 2017

Really nice hike by the beach. Avoid the entrance of the hike by the border of where you can park ends. Trail vegetation is overgrown and poison oaks is impossible to avoid.

Tue Jul 24 2012

I am a local and I may tend to be bias in my opinion of this trail as a "hike" Not a Hike! It is a great spot for locals to access the beach behind Hope Ranch. (An affluent community) The walk is entirely flat. It is a great for dog walks, biking, and offers nice views of ocean and islands from trail at the edge of cliffs. There are a number of para-gliders who practice there, as well as some who fly remote control planes. By the way if you wish to hike directly to beach down the stairs. The "clothed" are to the left.. and the "unclothed" are to the right. Just to let Ya know. If would recommend the Bluffs at Elwood or "Wilcox" at Hendrys Beach for Outta-towners.