Moore Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(180)
Moore Creek Park

Moore Creek Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St. Helena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,151 feet Route Type: Loop

The hike along Moore Creek is a journey into the deep recesses of a secluded canyon. The trail first climbs high on the canyon wall and enjoys sweeping vistas before descending to the creek. NOTE: The upstream portion of the hike has many creek crossings. If the water level is high, it is best to avoid this part of the trail. The loop section can still be hiked during periods of high water.

Really great hike. mostly shaded. saw a few king snakes! LOTS OF POISON OAK. not clearly marked at some points so be careful you don’t go the wrong way or you’ll end up hiking a lot more than you meant to. Got there at 11a on a weekday and the parking lot was half full. Also near the quail ridge nature preserve, so lots of cool species up here. Have to cross the water a few times but it’s fairly easy.

Saturday, May 16, 2020. I arrived about 8:30am and the parking lot was full. Luckily I was the second person they turned away (due to the full lot) and so I was able to find a spot on the shoulder right outside the driveway. I would definitely recommend trying this on a weekday or get there early on the weekend. As for the trail itself it was very nice. The majority was under the trees so that made it very pleasant. I only hiked Moore Trail itself, not the loop portion (Valentine Vista Trail) - which I definitely plan to try next time. I stopped just after the pools and turned back. I took my dog with me and he loved it, especially the little stream crossings - maybe only a couple inches above my ankle in a few places. Saw a few other dogs on the trail, as well. I'd recommend the quick little side-trail to Andrea’s Vista. Nice little bench with a view. Don’t forget to check for ticks! I found several on my dog and a couple on myself afterwards. Altogether 7.46 mi from the car and back.

Wow, loved this hike on a rainy, cool May day! Came to do the Bay Area Ridge Trail but never saw the “end point” so wasn’t sure when to turn around. My friend and I kept going and ended up doing an extra 5 miles total (we walked about 2.5 miles after the “pools” before turning around). Turns out we walked all the way to the edge of the park until we got to a sign that says “no trespassing - keep out”. By the time we got back to the parking lot, we had walked 14 miles although we had only intended to do nine. I loved the entire trail, but those extra miles at the end were particularly beautiful, with great views through the valley/canyon. I was surprised to see many wildflowers, even though it is already mid-May. Hardly saw anybody mid-week, but I think rain kept hikers and bikers away.

recorded Moore Creek Trail

There are different trails so is easy to get on other trails and the signs are a little confusing. We didn’t ended up finding the loop to return to the parking lot. Becareful! My husband found a tick on him while we were driving home so check yourself before entering the car. On the other hand I think this place is perfect for summer hikes because it has lots of trees that can provide you with shade. A creek pass by the trail as well. Enjoy.

Lots of parking space but it fills up quickly. I got there at 8 today and there were already 3 cars. It was full when I left at 11. Great trail for dogs. Lot of shade and creek crossings. The water is low right now and easy to cross. Saw a king snake, ticks and lots of fox tails!

This is a pleasant trail. No breathtaking views but pretty and, at least in May, with the pleasant sound of the creek. You will be under trees for a good portion of your hike, so this is a good place when it’s hotter. I went to the Moore Creek Pools and then a few miles beyond. A good trail, quite narrow at times, with a bit of scramble in places.

absolutely beautiful. different scenery on the way back. nice pools to cool off in at the end. the groundskeeper takes such nice care of this trail. I'll definitely be coming back. such a pleasure.

Beautiful hike ending in some nice swimming/wading pools. I am not, like most people on this app an avid hiker. Used to be but clearly not anymore as the last 1/4 of this hike was uphill and I was wishing someone would put me out of my misery. Just in case anyone else considering this hike is not a fit trailblazer. My husband and 12 year old son, and my dog, did just fine.

Great trail. In and out in 2 hours. Perfect weather! Side note: Someone dumped a couple of dish washing machines about 2 mi in from the parking lot. They should be removed.

Great Trail - really enjoy this place! You can chose distance. Take creek trail to the pools and/or take Rim Trail. Shaded and Unshaded areas. Trails can be flat or with inclines, your choice. Dog Friendly! I've hiked this trail many times and it is not crowed, contrary to another recent post.

Boring... very easy trail... crowded, even in Covid-19 era.

Beautiful hike with a wonderful display of wild flowers!!!

recorded Moore Creek Trail

I loved this trail. This time of year everything is green and the flowers are like eye candy. The parking lot was full this Wed at 11am, during the Covid thing. Not sure how long before the trail gets closed like many others are. Such a beautiful day and hike today. Great trail. Pools at the bottom and flowers galore going up to the top. I logged 8.5 miles on my AllTrails recording. I always wander off and explore things so that’s not a surprise.

Great trail to get away from everything. I’d say it was more like 6 miles than 7. I’d definitely hike this trail again.

Video of the hike. https://youtu.be/qyY_bIjl7ak Do the whole thing. 7.1 miles seems wrong. Go to the pools. Then walk back and do the loop - which by the way isn’t called Moore Creek trail. It has hard parts. It has easy parts.

recorded Recording - Mar 26, 7:16 PM

Wonderful trail, great views as you get higher up, flowers were out

If you continue past the pools onto the North side of the creek, there is another narrow, very well maintained trail that will take you all the way up and down into Angwin. There is plenty more hiking than just the length listed here.

Amazing wildflowers right now. Mountain side of poppies. Gorgeous. Do the trail counter clockwise. Go up to see the view and walk back along the creek. The entire trail has gravel or small loose rocks. Not good for barefoot hiking but totally worth it for the flowers. There’s a port a potty. Some bike use in the narrow trails. Be aware. Keep your dog on a leash. Enjoy

Great hike! Trail is well maintained and lots of places to rest of you need it. Valentine Vista portion is blanketed in wildflowers right now! Loop ended up being more like 8 miles.

Awesome trail.

Beautiful trail in Spring. Not as many wildflowers this year, but the creek still has water. We made it to the Moore Creek Pools which makes for a nice lunch spot. We did Valentine Vista to start to get the warmer ascent out of the way. Moore Creek Trail is shaded most of the way.

I love this trail! My dog and I took all the creek crossings but there is "dry foot" trails available which is a cool addition. More shaded areas than not. Couple of spots we did have to step over thorn bushes but nothing unreasonable. Planning on going back to do an additional add on trail we were too tired for at the time. Apply bug spray before! No mosquitoes for us just lots of gnats and other small bugs.

Nice remote trail. Path was easy to follow. It crossed the creek a few times. Didn’t see any animals. Not too buggy went early morning before the heat so it was cool and crisp. Views were ok

First time at Moore Creek & my family & I had a great time. Trail was ok, rocky in some spots but besides that not bad. Had to cross the creek a few times. The trail is steep in a few spots. Made it to the secret pool where we had lunch & soak our feet. Use caution, watch out for poison oak & ticks. We didn’t have a problem with either of those but they are present there. Also bring plenty of water & snacks. Not too many people on the trail. I’d hike this trail again.

Wed May 29 2019

Beautiful Trail, Stayed on Moore Creek Trail the whole time. Well maintained with good views.

Fri May 24 2019

Beautiful, flowers butterflies and waterfalls. Starting with the uphill climb was a good idea. The creek trail was a bit much without good footwear. A few bugs, a few ticks but it was worth it.

Tue Apr 16 2019

On our first visit to Napa. We were looking for a moderate trail with some scenic views. This was a good trail - we hiked about 3 miles of it. Perfect for a morning hike in and around wine country!i

Tue Apr 09 2019

We pulled up to the trail and the first things we’re told by a fellow hiker just finishing his hike, is that the ticks were out in full force. He then commenced to pull a couple off of his dogs; identifying one black legged tick and one dog tick

Mon Apr 01 2019

Beautiful wild flowers and several waterfalls. The trail is well maintained. We thanked the caretaker. Horses, bikes, dogs, butterflies, lizards, lots of shade. We hiked the Moore Creek tail to Dry Foot all the way to the Pond and the end of the trail. The sound of rushing water could be heard through most of the trail.