Moonstone Beach Trail

Moonstone Beach Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cambria, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 29 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

I loved the boardwalk under my weary legs. It was a great first trail to restart my fitness with. I recommend it highly! Easy and picturesque!!!

Easy trail, kid friendly, beautiful look outs to watch the sunset. Beach was very accessible off of trail. The weather was amazing. great experience

Great coastal hiking. Easy access.

This trail/boardwalk is essentially along the beach for it’s entire length and has great views. It is in fairly good shape, and I would say it’s probably wheelchair friendly. There are a handful of spots with some shade, but it’s mostly sunny the whole way, so dress accordingly - hat, sunscreen, etc.

We stayed close to Moonstone Beach so this was my daily walk. It was a beautiful walk along the ocean - I only wish I could do it everyday.

We stayed in Cambria one night in the summer of 2016, wish we had planned a few more. I had not previously heard of this town, we were on the way to big sur. I hiked the beachside boardwalk for hours. An amazingly peaceful, spiritual kind of hike. Between the moonstone beaches, the beautiful mountains to the north towards Big Sur and the eternal fog in the distance it added up to a very enchanting walk at sunset.

It's always very crowded. You won't get any solitude on this beach or it's trails. However, the views are stunning, par for the course for the central California coast. Be prepared as it can be downright cold at this beach during the summer months, coupled with the everpresent onshore breeze, a windbreaker is a must.

Lovely beach walk

Beautiful!

Easy relaxing

Wed Sep 05 2018

Love this spot. Always a pit stop of our drives up North along the coast.

Wed Aug 15 2018

Easy trail along the Cambria coast. Great at sunset.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Beautiful scenic walk with great spots to stay and eat!

Sat Apr 21 2018

Super easy walk with lots of spots to walk down the beach. Beautiful scenery.

Sat Oct 14 2017

Beautiful and peaceful. Wonderful walk.

Mon Aug 21 2017

Very nice trail. Fog in morning and sun in afternoon. Saw several whale blows about 1/2 mile out to sea.

Fri Aug 11 2017

Very nice. This is a wonderful area and not overly crowded.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Beautiful walk with ocean views. Park at the end of the path with trees and places to sit over looking the ocean.

Sat Jun 24 2017

A nice relaxing wooden mile long boardwalk along the beach featuring plants and some lizards and an occasional rabbit. Very romantic

Sun May 21 2017

Beautiful year round - a long and peaceful trail, great for dogs as well.

Fri Oct 07 2016

Beautiful for a short run along the coast

Tue Jun 07 2016

Popular trail in Cambria with boardwalk along the coast. Water was stunningly blue. A cool compared to the heat wave in the central valley. We like to start at the northern end parking lot at the top of the overlook.

Fri Apr 15 2016

Beautiful, easy walk!

Tue Mar 29 2016

Family had a great time!!!

Tue Mar 29 2016

Had a great time!!!

Sun Mar 13 2016

Nice

Fri Dec 18 2015

It is a very nice adventure to see the sea lions up close. I would like to suggest that for February it is the best time to go and look at the sea lions because it is time to procreate and there are quantities the beach fills up. Then go hiking to stretch your legs.

Fri Dec 04 2015

This is an easy and beautiful walk along the ocean.

Wed Nov 11 2015

Great place to take your dog (on a leash).... beautiful walk and we even spotted some whales breaching.

Sat Jun 20 2015

Suggested for active walkers. Our fur kids are always welcome (on leash) and the locals are friendly. Breath taking views of the ocean without getting sand in your shoes; although there is access points along the trail.