Moon Country Loop via McCallum Trail

Moon Country Loop via McCallum Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thousand Palms, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until May.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Coachella Valley Preserve is closed Monday and Tuesday. For more information, please see https://coachellavalleypreserve.org/ Take the McCallum Trail and follow the signs.

No shade. McCallum pond closed. Closed Monday and Tuesday.

Novice hiker here. lol Drove out early (6 am) to hike & watch the sun rise over the valley. Not quite! Posted at the trail head: "Private property, do not enter, gates open at 8 am" really bummed me out!10/20/2019 So I drove back down the road a very short bit to an open trail head, walked & climbed a hill and was able to watch the sun rise over the valley from there. yeah! update: After returning at 8am, I ran into a small bird watching group about to go on a hike. I was pleasantly pleased walking with them pointing out birds and nature along the way. After about an hr or so they turned back & I kept hiking & competing the loop. Oasis in the desert! a definate must see!

Bloom is near its end for many of the flowers, particularly the yellow ones. Still a nice walk, and a cool little ecosystem.

Of all the hikes recommended for the superbloom, this one was the one that didn’t disappoint... Fields of gold poppy were stunning! So may wildflowers and butterflies! Definitely go early to avoid crowds and heat. Trail says it is easy but I think it says that bc there is no elevation gain. It is a long hike for little ones and rattlesnakes are active now.

Great vista, go early at 7:00am in mid March. Lots of wildflowers. I loved the start of the hike in the oasis. Took two hours with stops for photos.

The wildflowers were beautiful! Great hike for all ages and fitness levels.

Easy sandy, then slightly rocky trail. Beautiful wildflowers in full bloom once beyond McCallum. Great views at Vista Point. All ages.

Spectacular hike to moon country amongst butterflies and wildflowers.

Wildflowers are outstanding right now!

The first part of the trail is awesome, the pond at McCallum Trail is beautiful. You could sit here for hours and birdwatch, have a picnic, etc. The visitor centre is also neat to peruse around. The rest of the loop, has some nice views at the start and then meh. An ok walk. The mini slot canyon is... mini. And the loop has no definitive end... I had to check my AllTrails map to loop back as you can keep going on a longer hike of moon country trail. This trail is definitely over rated at moderate... this is an easy stroll. Some sand walking but nothing earning it a moderate rating. The only thing that got my heart rate up was if I ran. A great trail to take the family- kids or seniors. For me- I’ll save a return trip until I’m less able bodied, or just take the camera and stay at the pond.

Basically a good hike, as good (though different) as Pushwalla Hidden Horseshoe hike. The best parts are, the visitor's center, the boardwalk and strolls through the Palm groves, the blooming desert flowers (Late Feb), and the fun rambles through Moon Canyon with it's slots canyons, box canyons, and general scenery amongst had packed "mud hills" that make up the canyon. Be aware that the walls of the canyon are inherently unstable (hard packed mud basically). But the canyon is a maze of washes and riverbeds. I will be doing this trail again for sure, but there are better local hikes nearby (check out the best around - ladder canyon).

The guy that was rude wouldn’t let me bring my service dog in, then threatened to kick my car.

Great flowers

Pretty, like a moon scape. Some flowers. beware it ends in a wash after a mini slot canyon...just ends.....

Sandy actually pretty easy nice hike pretty quick to get around. Parking is a little tricky as it is so well traveled and adjoining another nearby trail.

A lot of flowers today! Extended it to the lookout on Herman’s Hike trail. Steep but nice trail.

A beautiful area with diverse scenery. A great way to spend the afternoon.

Easy hiking with beautiful views!!

Very easy hike. Fun seeing the oasis and learning about the diversity of the desert.

The trail beyond the pond is very nice and peaceful. Lots of wild flowers.

Wed Dec 05 2018

Good for the history bluffs, great for the nature buffs, and was way cool for the earthquake bluffs. When you are all three, it's awesome. wish I'd started earlier and planned more to explore, and maybe take a volunteer guided hike. About 10 am on November 7th. 80°F, much cooler under the shade of the trees.

Mon Nov 26 2018

Enjoyable. Crowded on front end because of entertainment value to young children but as the trails get further along its much more peaceful. The surroundings are beautiful with mountain ranges in all directions. Low elevation makes it more of a long stroll with little huffing and puffing.

Sat Oct 06 2018

This was just the hike I needed today. Easy and educational but was able to lengthen it to a summit with a great view!

Thu Apr 26 2018

Easy walk. Absolutely recommend! Minimal effort for maximum return! We went on a day where it was 104 degrees and the palm trees provided excellent shade.

Tue Mar 27 2018

Went down to the pond at the end of the McCallum Trail to check out the area and see if we could locate the Great Horned Owls nesting there. Found the pond but not the owls. Very cool area though. Kaitlin, Chip, Donna didn't want to join me on the Moon Country loop so I started down that way alone (:--( thinking it was a quick wrap-around trail. It just keep going and going so, not having a map, I reluctantly turned around so as not to keep my peeps waiting in the parking lot. I was soooo close to the loop-back too. Did I mention you're hiking on and around the world famous San Andreas Fault. Yea, do this trek!