Montgomery Grove Trail is a 2.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ukiah, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 86 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

recorded Montgomery Grove Trail

Absolutely breathtaking!

Beautiful walk among the Redwoods. As nice if not nicer than Muir Woods, but without the crowd. Short hike, but took a long time with kids as they can run around, explore and have fun.

nice trail, but very hard to find at times. hint - the loop back is a left after the long bridge crossing.

The drive is slow and bumpy, but if you enjoy the view along the way, you won't notice. The trail is worth the drive.

Mon May 27 2019

bridge out
Sun Jan 27 2019

I had an absolute blast however only a half mile in we found washed out trails likely caused by downed trees it was an adventure but we ended up with very soggy toddlers can't wait to go back when the weather is warmer.

Sat Dec 29 2018

The 30 minute very windy path put me into a magical place. It was a warm sunny drive but as I got closer to the trailhead, the air became moist, the trees dropped beads of water onto my car, the the trickling of the water sang a beautiful song. The hike itself was very magical. The majestic trees give off an wonderful energy, the beauties of the fungi were everywhere. You feel like Alice in Wonderland. There’s a huge fern forest amongst the giant trees. If you have time, walk the entire loop. Towards the end, there’s a lot of flooding which creates ponds. Be careful as it gets slippery along the path. Total hike is 2-3 hours depending on how many times you stop to take it all in or to take photos. Tip: be sure to use low gear driving on the windy path to save your brakes!

Mon Nov 05 2018

It was my first time hiking this trail and it was amazingly beautiful! I recommend it. It’s somewhat steep at first, for maybe the first 10ish minutes, but it is all straight terrain there after. There was no creek at this time, so maybe it’s available after the rain, during winter and/or on spring. I got some great footage and pictures that are just breathtaking. The trail is visible at first but I think somewhere along the way I went off of the official trail and kept going ahead on a different trail? I’m not quite sure, but I don’t regret it. I didn’t get lost as it is pretty much straight with no major turns. I kept a rough estimate of the length of the hike that I had, which came to be around 3.5 - 4 miles but it can vary for others if they stayed throughout the trail they map at the beginning of the hike.

Wed Oct 03 2018

Great hike in the woods viewing some beautiful redwoods. Trail was hard to find at some points and not marked the best, but still loved it. A little steep at the beginning, but not bad. Rest was flat easy terrain.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Loved going on this hike growing up, now my kids love it! Careful when climbing logs! My husband broke his arm.

Sat May 19 2018

Excellent short hike with many redwoods.

Sat Sep 23 2017

So relaxing

Thu Sep 07 2017

fun trail

Tue Sep 05 2017

great spot, few people even on Labor Day weekend. Not a long trail but still worth the trip to see this old growth forest!

Sat Jun 10 2017

This trail is beautiful. Super easy once you get past the first hill. Some areas were difficult to decipher where the trail was. Be prepared to climb over/under fallen trees. The drive to the trail was horrific, but completely worth it!

Mon May 15 2017

Beautiful hike for all..trees, running water, ferns, moss everything you'd want in a simple hike. Get there early for parking rd in is curvy but worth it.

Fri May 12 2017

Lots of memories hiking with my family here..shady, cool & beautiful!

Mon May 08 2017

Great trail, with some really spectacular views of giant trees. Easy trail for walking, only one small hill to climb at the beginning. The only small problem is the limited parking, but other than that it's fantastic.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Amazing Redwood hike - maybe the best I have ever been on. Very hard to get to - lots of windy roads but trail head well marked. Most Redwoods hikes have too many people (bc they are easy to get to) and are really short. No one was on this trail - assuming bc hard to get to, it was a Friday morning and it was raining. Trail wasnt in real good shape bc of the rain - there were a few places where the trail looked like a stream. With all of that said, amazing experience and I cant wait to go back

Sat Feb 25 2017

Nice easy walk through a beautiful redwood grove.