Monserate Mountain Trail Loop

Monserate Mountain Trail Loop is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fallbrook, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Plenty of parking right off the road.

Easy to get to, didn’t see any rattlesnakes and the top is fun with the flags and a sunrise to start off your day.

Great workout if you take the loop counter clockwise. Hiked it in about 2 hours. Lots of dog poop though. Hazy day. Heavy traffic. Local favorite right off the highway.

Good hike. Taking the advice of others I went right at the junction. Made it a much better hike. Would do it again anytime.

Good workout. Rocky most of Trail so watch your step. It was very hazy at early morning so no real vista view from top this trip.

very good hike. To make it hard and the full 4.2 miles go right on the fork in the road. This will have you going up the stairs instead of coming down them.

One of my favorite local hikes. Good workout and beautiful flowers and views.

Great views and a good climb. Will be doing this hike again, bring water especially if hiking in the afternoon sun.

Good hike! Great views

Lovely hike, great cardio. To bad people trash it with cigaret butts, papers, dog poops not picked up etc.

Great workout and rewarding views

Hardest thing I ever did. Worth it.

Great cardio is correct. It’s a strenuous hike, mostly upward. Couple points, I felt like I couldn’t go further, incline was a killer! Was able to do the difficult route and even though it was raining, enjoyed enough, I think I’ll be back! Carb up before going and bring water.

Hiked clockwise, uphill starts right away and then you're at the top. Looping around on the descent you get ups and downs. Bring water; hiking poles if your knees talk to you. Lots of families, so it's not crazy hard. But I bet those kids sleep well tonight!

Great strenuous hike! The trail was clean but there is dog poop everywhere! We hiked the trail with 3 kids and a baby in a hiking backpack. We hiked counter clockwise which is the hardest way to hike this trail. We did all 4.2 miles! It was super hard and I love hiking! The kids were exhausted but excited because they felt accomplished and said they wanted to do it again next weekend! The view of the pacific wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. You only see the horizon. The other views are totally worth it! Totally recommend this trail!

good hike. it's more like moderate instead of hard.

Awesome cardio.

One of my favorite local hikes ❤️ bring lots of water and sunscreen

Don’t let the “Hard” rating fool you. It’s not like hand over knee hiking. There were plenty of little kids hiking this trail. Trekking poles are suggested if you have bad knees. Also, it is better to hike the loop clockwise. There are no rocks on the south part of the loop and the view of the valley farms are amazing. You also get away from the interstate traffic noise.

This is a great training hike, to build stamina if you do the full four+ miles. there are 7 inclined sections. The views are gorgeous on top. If on a clear day, you can actually see the Pacific Ocean. bring lots of water if you plan to do in the summeror when it's really hot. Mornings are great to do this hike.

This trail is as described- strenuous! It kicked my butt!
It’s straight up - be sure to wear hiking boots or sturdy shoes with good ankle support.
I brought my dog and made sure to take breaks and give him lots of water.
I was worried about all the trash mentioned so I brought bags and gloves thinking I could help by picking up along the way ... but I found no trash?
The trail was clean.
This is certainly a cardio workout.

useful.

I’ve been walking this hills for almost 11 years. It’s a nice climb but over the past couple of years this trail has become very crowded. Toilet paper all over the trail. Follow the plastic bags of dog poop to the top for amazing views of the ocean. I would love to tell you it’s a great hike but it’s become a high traffic and very littered route. Too bad I too, I could spend hours walking around up there.

Great views from the top. Excellent workout.

Great hike . Good elevation gain for a short hike . Amazing views .

Relatively quick, but kicked my butt! Nice views from up top-- and pretty sure there's a geocache at the top. A couple people were waiting in line to "find" and sign in it. I would recommend going on an off day or pretty early, as there isn't a TON of parking. It wasn't so crowded that you have to hike behind some slower people for awkward lengths or anything, but there were definitely a bunch of people on the trail, and you don't really get all that far from the road so it's not exactly secluded by any means. Still a great option overall for a shorter, local, free hike that gets the job done.

This is a butt kicker! Cardio, cardio, cardio...

Enjoyable. Maybe 2 hours or less to finish.

Went this morning and loved it! Lots of steep hills to work the glutes. Took 2 little girls with me age 6 and 9...they loved it and made it without killing themselves with all the rocks. The stairs were our favorite. We will do this again very soon.

Good workout, there is a disappointing amount of animal feces on the trail.

Close to home. Great workout!