Monroe Ridge Trail

Monroe Ridge Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coloma, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went on a beautiful Tuesday morning. Used it as a Photography hike. Beautiful views of the American River. Left at 9am. Didn’t see a soul until the school buses headed in to Coloma about 11am. Great views for an easy hike

A lot more people than expected. Also more road noise. Still, an enjoyable hike and we could bring the dog.

Nice trail to bring your dog. Trail is well maintained.

Make extra time to enjoy the historical sites/buildings.

Quiet and nice view along the way, very straight forward trail. Visited some of the museums in Mashall Gold park.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

The trail is nice but LOTS of poison oak alongside the trail.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Opinion: Good trail with a good variety of up and down. Nothing too hard. The trail itself is well worn and easy to walk on. The creek is dry currently so we didn't see any waterfalls of anything like that, but the trail has a nice amount of wildflowers and historical sites that make it fun. At 3.2 miles it's short enough to be ok for dogs and kids and friends who might not hike often, but it's got enough uphill (just a series of switchbacks) to get the blood moving. The river at the trailhead/end is good for cooling off. Plus at the statue of john marshall and at the park/trailhead there are stone grills and picnic tables for cooking. We really didn't see any othe people on the actual trail. At the park there were some people, but it was quiet and nice enough to make for a great day away.

Info: The park closes at 8pm. no camping is allowed. Fishing in the river is ok with a license. On the trail you're likely to see lizards and some bugs, but warning signs for mtn lions, rattlesnakes, and ticks are around, so be aware of your surroundings. Also watch out for poison oak.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Monday, February 06, 2017

I did this hike last spring. An easy day hike. Best to go in Spring and Autumn or even a nice winter day. If you go in the summer it's dry and hot, however I remember a lot of the trail was shaded.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

It was a beautiful and easy trail. Thank you.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

My kids & I (10 & 8yrs old) drove up to Coloma. It was not very busy. The trail was moderately difficult for me. Only seen one other couple on the trail. We had a great time together!! I did not realize it was a loop trail we went to monument and then back down the way we came. Said 1.5 miles on Fitbit but was 611 calories burned!! We also gold panned!! Good day!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

It was ok. We started late and ended up going down the way we came after we realized following the trail would take us way farther away from our car and it was not really a loop unless you count going along the road as a loop. We did see fresh scat on the trail. Possibly mountain lion.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Although there's lots of people in the "downtown" area of the park, the hiking trail wasn't crowded at all when I went. In fact, I only ran into 4 people in about a period of around 2 hours. I accessed the trail by driving up Califonia's shortest highway- highway 153. At the top of the road is a parking lot and the trailhead is across the road. When you start the trail, it's semi-steep and there's picnic tables at the top of the hill. Once you start going down the hill, there's a fork in the trail and I was not impressed with the amount of signage. I went to the right only because I ran into people at the fork that told me if I went right, I'd end up in the downtown park of the park. That unfortunately meant that I had to walk along the busy road for about half an hour just to get back to the parking lot to my car. Just a heads up: If you park in the downtown area and start the trail there where I exited, there's an extremely steep hill you'll have to climb up.
Overall the trail was nice, I just wish there was signage showing where the trail went off towards the left when you hit the fork.

UPDATE: I have returned and I've gone right at the fork. If you do go right, you wind around some paths downhill for a bit and end up in the downtown area anyway. So regardless of whether or not you go left or right you end up at roughly the same spot. On the signage you're told that if you go left there's some sort of beach, there's not. Bummer I know.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Very clearly marked, fun to see all the rafters going down the river

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Nice trail with historical sites around the Gold Rush era. Currently, detour at beginning of trail due to bridge repair. First .5 mile pretty steep up fire road. Nice picnic area next to river .

Saturday, March 11, 2017