Learn more

Monroe Ridge Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coloma, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.6 mi Elevation gain 643 ft Route type Loop

Photos (136)
Recordings (48)
Completed (245)
Allison Henderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Walking

Pretty fun, little challenging uphill/downhill with nice percentage of shade

Charlene Orlando
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

A little steep at first but a nice trail hike. It gets hot early so get an early start. It took 2.5 hours with some stops. There are a couple picnic tables along the way too.

View Charlene's Recording
Brian Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
HikingRocky

Would recommend this hike. Fee: $8.00 Day use there's a beach near the parking area. park is open from 8 AM to 8 PM Also it's a one way hike. there are signs on where to start. overall great hike, first hill is a hell of a climb at least there's the hill down. sights were average but in the woods was beautiful.

Bee Kind
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 16 2020
Walking

Just a quick trail through Marshal Gold Park. Made it to Monroe entrance but went back down the paved path with kids to explore the town.

View Bee's Recording
TINA TRAN
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 21 2020
Hiking

Nice easy trial with a gradual climb in the beginning even my injured knee could handle. Mix of shade and sun. I took a wrong turn at one point but this map on here helped me get back on track. I was hiking alone so this was the perfect trail to get away from the city, get fresh air, and not get lost.

Carson Pettit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 29 2020
Hiking

No scenic views but not a bad hike if you’re in the area.

View Carson's Recording
Nadja M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 11 2019
Hiking

Nice clean trail with narrow stratches, good amount of shade. Some climbing, my 7 and 8 year olds handled just fine. Just wished for more nice views from the top.

View Nadja's Recording
AJ D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jan 22 2019
Hiking

This trail starts out with a park designed for field trips on the history of the discovery of gold in 1848 (not actually ‘49 I learned) complete with what remains of a Chinese immigrant village which sprung up near the mining. The trail itself had a decent up and then down the last half and was a good workout. We took a break toward the end at a nice little vista with a picnic table (~3 hours total). This was easy for the chihuahua and we passed some families towards the bottom - decent moderate hike.

Kelly McGinity
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Dec 27 2018

very pretty trail! I would say this is easy to moderate. pretty good climb to get to the top. lots of beware of mountain lion signs, so probably wouldn't go alone!

Barbara T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 22 2018
Hiking

Two of us hiked this trail. Leave extra time to explore the visitor center, the monument, and the grave sites. We lost the trail where all the paths converge in the picnic area near the monument. Trails are not well marked. But they are well maintained. There was little poison oak or berry brambles to deal with. We encountered two trail runners on our Monday hike. Good toilet facilities too. I'd like to go back.

Dovante R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 05 2018
Hiking

Did this trail in the clockwise direction. This would be a good one to do both ways, and the fact that it is a full loop opens up that option.The trail has some sections with old wood fences as well as a few short stretches where you are walking on very well built and solid wooden stairs with railings. Overall this area is very well maintained. A little exposed as you stroll through the brush in some areas, and some decent elevation gain, so I wouldn't do this hike in the middle of a hot day over 85 but that's just my preference. No major vista at the top but there is an area with a picnic table and some shade near the top point with views of the surrounding Coloma area hills through the trees. Interesting history down in the park too, definitely worth a visit. One of the better hikes in this area for god workout.

Beth Carlsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Feb 08 2018

Went on a beautiful Tuesday morning. Used it as a Photography hike. Beautiful views of the American River. Left at 9am. Didn’t see a soul until the school buses headed in to Coloma about 11am. Great views for an easy hike

Amber Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 04 2018
Hiking

A lot more people than expected. Also more road noise. Still, an enjoyable hike and we could bring the dog.

Joel Buettner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 08 2018
Hiking

Nice trail to bring your dog. Trail is well maintained.

Anne Alexis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 02 2018

Make extra time to enjoy the historical sites/buildings.

Tania Ulik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 27 2017
Hiking

Quiet and nice view along the way, very straight forward trail. Visited some of the museums in Mashall Gold park.

James V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 15 2017
Hiking

The trail is nice but LOTS of poison oak alongside the trail.

Tim Duncan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 04 2017
Hiking

Opinion: Good trail with a good variety of up and down. Nothing too hard. The trail itself is well worn and easy to walk on. The creek is dry currently so we didn't see any waterfalls of anything like that, but the trail has a nice amount of wildflowers and historical sites that make it fun. At 3.2 miles it's short enough to be ok for dogs and kids and friends who might not hike often, but it's got enough uphill (just a series of switchbacks) to get the blood moving. The river at the trailhead/end is good for cooling off. Plus at the statue of john marshall and at the park/trailhead there are stone grills and picnic tables for cooking. We really didn't see any othe people on the actual trail. At the park there were some people, but it was quiet and nice enough to make for a great day away. Info: The park closes at 8pm. no camping is allowed. Fishing in the river is ok with a license. On the trail you're likely to see lizards and some bugs, but warning signs for mtn lions, rattlesnakes, and ticks are around, so be aware of your surroundings. Also watch out for poison oak.

Mercedes Poggemann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 18 2017
Kelly Howell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 06 2017
Hiking

I did this hike last spring. An easy day hike. Best to go in Spring and Autumn or even a nice winter day. If you go in the summer it's dry and hot, however I remember a lot of the trail was shaded.

Edith Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 31 2016

It was a beautiful and easy trail. Thank you.

Andrea Lopez Ames
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 05 2016
Walking

My kids & I (10 & 8yrs old) drove up to Coloma. It was not very busy. The trail was moderately difficult for me. Only seen one other couple on the trail. We had a great time together!! I did not realize it was a loop trail we went to monument and then back down the way we came. Said 1.5 miles on Fitbit but was 611 calories burned!! We also gold panned!! Good day!

Matt H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 12 2016

It was ok. We started late and ended up going down the way we came after we realized following the trail would take us way farther away from our car and it was not really a loop unless you count going along the road as a loop. We did see fresh scat on the trail. Possibly mountain lion.

Miranda Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 20 2015
Hiking

Although there's lots of people in the "downtown" area of the park, the hiking trail wasn't crowded at all when I went. In fact, I only ran into 4 people in about a period of around 2 hours. I accessed the trail by driving up Califonia's shortest highway- highway 153. At the top of the road is a parking lot and the trailhead is across the road. When you start the trail, it's semi-steep and there's picnic tables at the top of the hill. Once you start going down the hill, there's a fork in the trail and I was not impressed with the amount of signage. I went to the right only because I ran into people at the fork that told me if I went right, I'd end up in the downtown park of the park. That unfortunately meant that I had to walk along the busy road for about half an hour just to get back to the parking lot to my car. Just a heads up: If you park in the downtown area and start the trail there where I exited, there's an extremely steep hill you'll have to climb up. Overall the trail was nice, I just wish there was signage showing where the trail went off towards the left when you hit the fork. UPDATE: I have returned and I've gone right at the fork. If you do go right, you wind around some paths downhill for a bit and end up in the downtown area anyway. So regardless of whether or not you go left or right you end up at roughly the same spot. On the signage you're told that if you go left there's some sort of beach, there's not. Bummer I know.

Kendra Wommack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 29 2015

Very clearly marked, fun to see all the rafters going down the river

Thomas M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2015

Nice trail with historical sites around the Gold Rush era. Currently, detour at beginning of trail due to bridge repair. First .5 mile pretty steep up fire road. Nice picnic area next to river .

Julia Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
View Julia's Recording
Rebecca Rosen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
View Rebecca's Recording
Kirsten C
View Kirsten's Recording
Chelsea Ford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
View Chelsea's Recording