Learn more

Mojave River via the PCT [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(182)
San Bernardino National Forest

Mojave River via the PCT [CLOSED] is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Arrowhead, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 892 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

As of May 2020, this trail is closed for a year due to over crowding. Check out the news release from San Bernardino National Forest for more information. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD743425

True. Closed.

closed

Trail is closed for a year!

via ferrata

Lovely trail. Most people seem to peel off at Aztec Falls, and the crowds were totally gone for most of the day. A road leads to the riverbank at the end, and I would assume it gets busy on weekends, but on a Tuesday afternoon during Coronavirus season, it was blissfully empty. The hike itself is very nice. Mostly flat. Only a challenge at a couple washouts. It’s in shade by the late afternoon.

Lovely low impact hike. Warm weather bringing out the crowds up to Aztec Falls. From there to Devil’s Hole was sparsely attended. Wildflowers in bloom along the trail and plenty of lizards and one teeny snake.

Beautiful views, especially watching the slow transition from mountain to desert. Things to Note: There are several trees down on the PCT. Easy to go around or though. Headed down stream is beautifully easy, but coming back up is a steady uphill grade. Pace yourself accordingly.

Great trail! A little frost in the morning but beautiful in the afternoon. Some fallen brush and trees. Highly recommend for a nice hike with friends!

This hike was really nice. Great views and little traffic once we got about a mile in. I would highly recommend it.

rock climbing

This trail was great. There is a beautiful little river in the valley with crystal clear water. There were a few little bugs flying around my face the whole time but it didn't bother me too much. Some steep climbs and even rock climbing as an option on your route. We only saw a few friendly people the whole route. A bit confusing at times.

This trail was lovely! About a mile past the concrete section at the start of the trail, there is a clearly marked blue spray-paint arrow pointing the way down a steep slope to aztec falls. The falls are only about 8 feet tall but fall into a lovely pool/beach where you can jump off the rocks into the water. It seems like the falls would be there at all times of year. The water is very cold though. The trail is fairly flat and even has shade on about 20% of it. We couldn't find the recreation area at mile 2.4 that was noted by another reviewer. Overall awesome hike and good for all levels.

This trail was not challenging. However the exposure to the sun and the heat can make it difficult, especially on the way back. The trail is well maintained with ample views. The end of this hike will reward you with a swimming hole, that is a calm bend in the river, full of social fish and stoic tadpoles in various stages of development. It took my other half and I 90min there and 90min back. We just squeezed by this hike on 4L of water, but then again we were two ding dongs that decided to go mid day in August.

Mon Jul 08 2019

Cool mellow trail. Pretty busy. There is a deeper hole where you can jump off rocks into the water. Parking is easy for any decent car / truck with ground clearance.

Sun Jul 07 2019

Very hot hike with little shade but totally worth it when you get to the river at the end.

Wed Jun 12 2019

Hiked this area on Sunday (06/09/2018) went from splinter cabin all the way down to the Mojave Dam. Total 22.3 miles in one go. It was hot, saw one rattlesnake. Meet a few PCT hikers on the trail. Not as March as I did last time I hiked this back in April/May. It was a very nice hike. If you plan on doing it I suggest you take more than a gallon worth of water! As it’s very hot right now. Got to pass 3 bridges which was super cool. And found an area to take a dip in the water

Fri May 03 2019

Hiked a part of this trail about a mile in. The bridge was cool and we saw come pct hikers camped out and got to talk to a couple. That was my favorite part. Some bugs as it is spring. Loved the hike and can’t wait to come back

Tue Apr 23 2019

Great hike. In late April, we had a lot of sun, but always a breeze or a tree to get under to cool off. Nice smells and sounds along the trail.

Sat Apr 13 2019

I might have gone too far, my hike ended up being 8.85 miles. I stopped when I got to the Hawks' Peak sign. I started at 8:45 am on a Saturday, and I'm glad I did. The last two miles back I met several large group of hikers, including one group who had about 25 people and were playing loud music from a speaker in a backpack (my pet peeve.) At the hottest, it was about 60 degrees and I still went through 2 liters of water. I think I would be too much of a wimp to hike this after April. The sun was hot, but there was a nice breeze. It was fun to see the occasional PCT thru-hiker. At one point I stopped to rest and was overwhelmed with how quiet and tranquil it was. It's a good hike to reconnect with nature.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Time: 10:45am at beginning of trailhead Followed AllTrails map. Temperature: 80s. If you stick to the All trail map, the mileage is pretty accurate. Very little shade on this hike. Path is narrow in a lot of areas so be careful. If you stop at the location specified in the map, there’s a shaded open area with rocks to sit and lay on next to the river/ stream which was green from the algae but still nice and serene. There were quite a few dirt bikes at the beginning before the trailhead which kicked up a lot of dirt. They don’t tend to slow down so watch out. Apparently it’s a thing here. The majority of hiking trail does not allow motorized vehicles. A couple of reviewers mentioned a waterfall on this trail. You need to detour off the trail down a pretty steep hill to go to Aztec Falls. This was about 1/3 of the way in so look out for it if that’s what you want to do. Tip: bring extra water if weather is hot Bring poles if you go down to Aztec falls. It will help.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Went here on a Friday afternoon, no one else was at Aztec falls, was beautiful and surreal. Very steep hike down to the falls; I basically sat down and scooted whole way down, and climbing up was a bit hard, had to find rocks and branches to pull up on. The falls were very worth it! While hiking on trail by bridge heard a noise, looked down to see a huge rattle snake less than a foot from me! We also saw other small snakea crossing the trail! Easily got to Splinters cabin parking area in Nissian Maxima! Beautiful, would highly recommend! Defiantly check out the waterfall, was the highlight of the hike! Very special when no one else is there! Was weary about some of the reviews stating that there was trash all over by the falls. There were a few cans but that's about it, still very beautiful. One of the best hikes in the area! Very much worth it.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Great hike!!! But it’s Splinters trail to PCT. Legit 7 miles of uphill both ways.

Mon Jul 09 2018

This trail was awesome! i went with my friend we are both beginners and we had a great time jumping in the water is so cold and refreshing. It is a very short hike to get to the main pool we did not go up the whole trail we stopped at the main pool in the pictures and explored downstream a bit I recommend this for hikers age 2-adult I saw a 2 year old trooper there and some older crowds this hike is great for all ages just watch out for rocks and snakes. Also you need a parking pass but I think you purchase them in town somewhere? There was no office there to purchase them and there is no cell service.

Mon Jul 02 2018

I chose to park where the pavement finally ends, and walked in. The road is too rocky for my car, and it’s not a far walk to the trail head. I would recommend going in the cooler months though, because we were surrounded by people who came just to hang out at the river and drink. However, once you continue past the bridge, and go about a mile or so, you’ll find yourself alone with nature again. The trail follows the river from high up on the canyon, but it eventually “ends” at the river, where the water is pooled up — and there’s a sign where you can read about a rare species of toad that lives there. If you do plan to go during the hot months, just remember to bring a hat and plenty of water and you’ll be fine!

Thu May 03 2018

Amazing, scenic, not hard, along the river, a very good hike