Miwok Trail and Hardy Canyon Loop Trail

Miwok Trail and Hardy Canyon Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brentwood, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,036 feet Route Type: Loop

Explore the beauty of Round Valley Regional Preserve. Enjoy oak woodland and riparian habitat as you stroll along this peaceful area Take the Miwok Trail to the Hardy Canyon Trail for this loop adventure.

This was a gorgeous hike. I found it challenging but not impossible. I went counter clockwise, as others here have suggested & I’m glad I did.

got 15 minutes into the hike and saw a coyote. It kinda scared me so I took off backtracking.

I started at 10 AM on a hot day and went clockwise. nice hike and a bit challenging for someone who hadn't hiked in some time. I found a horseshoe along the back side. As others have stated there is little shade in long stretches. Would recommend.

Hiked with my ex-girlfriend about a month ago. We found that shade can be hard to come by. Relative to the map above, I would recommend hiking it counter-clockwise as this gives you the most shade while climbing upwards. Definitely bring water.

Love this hike! Great workout in the great outdoors, and close to home!

Favorite running trail. Lots of single track

We really liked this trail a lot. It rained right before we arrived so it was kinda muddy....just an added workout to the hike that's all lol. There were a few inclines but not too bad. Overall, great hike and very nice views of the valley.

Was hot and dry on March 30 up the steep grade on Hardy, however the Oaks were beautiful and provided shade. Good moderate trip.

Great hike with a good mix of hills and flats. Lots of feeder trails that make it hard to distinguish at times which way to go but they all seem to lead up. Beautiful time of year with the creek running, green grass, and little wildflowers starting to open. Was very surprised with all the rains lately that the trail was not muddy. Very hike-able! Will definitely come back.

Beautiful trail. Nice morning hike.

Beautiful day and very scenic... but MUDDY!!!

2-18-19 Today was the first really clear day, weather wise, in a while. We hiked the loop counterclockwise. When we reached the summit of the trail on the back side, you could actually see the snow covered summits of the Sierras. Beautiful relatively easy hike. I would definitely recommend this hike.

First time on this loop trail. A little muddy still from the rains, but was a nice hike. We went counterclockwise on the trail. Will go back again soon.

We hiked in January on a drizzly day. The trails were very slick and muddy, but the views and tranquility were worth it, as was the absence of other hikers. The park is occupied by cows but they tend to mind their own business. looking forward to returning in warmer weather. Definitely recommend as a beautiful nature trail.

we visited 1/13/19 a couple days after significant rain. trail was wet but not not muddy, soil is compacted and sandy for good drainage. was overcast all of the hike. there is a side jaunt you can take to the top of a hill that has a panoramic view of the area but was engulfed in fog so the view was not to be had this day. Lits of friendly bovine along the way, watch out for cow paddies! Clockwise gives you the best elevation and workout, counter if you want to go downhill for the steeper grades.

Tough uphill portions and even harder when its muddy and the cows have rutted it up. Beautiful views

Definitely counterclockwise direction. It was a smooth way back down to parking lot. Mud, cow poop and wet grass is abundant depending on (writing this down in January) climate. We did enjoy this hike. Bring proper shoes and walking sticks were also helpful.

I highly recommend completing the hike counterclockwise. The trail was fairly muddy so I’d recommend shoes that can be washed easily. There is a lot of wildlife on the trail including ground squirrels and cattle. Horses are allowed to use the trail so watch your step. Dogs are not allowed. Keep in mind half your hike is uphill. Enjoy!

We went for a weekend hike in November and really enjoyed it! Did the counterclockwise route as suggested and would recommend it as well. For most of the walk we didn’t run into others. Nice open spaces, Wild turkeys, and good views at the top.

I really enjoyed this ike. Loved the views, reminded me of England

Good trail but only problem is a lot of poop on trail. So winter time is ok but summertime is smelly Except that it is good hiking place near Bay Area

Mon Nov 26 2018

First time hiking this trail and I really enjoyed it. Got kind of a late start (2:30pm) so didn't run into many people. Took counterclockwise route; glad I did as that was the more strenuous, so got it out of the way! Beautiful views, lots of animal tracks - saw some deer. Will definitely hike it again.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Beautiful views. Lightly traveled trail by hikers and runners. We rode horseback the Miwok Trail first, then the Hardy Canyon. Would suggest the reverse, Hardy first to Miwok. Do the canyon early when the sun is low and then Miwok should be in the shade on the way down. On horseback the Hardy has many sandstone outcrops, they aren't slippery, but very challenging if you are going down them, up would be better. This is not a beginner trail for horses.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Went today for the first time. It's wasn't so packed as we thought it was. Not alot of bikers or runner, some people here and there. great hike for those who hasn't hike for the longest. It is a great warm up.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Great hike, look forward to going again.

Tue Jun 12 2018

best done in spring when the creeks are flowing freely

Sat Jun 02 2018

I love this trail! Would be a five star except it has a lot of people on it. Lots of trail runners that come right up on from behind you without any warning. Lots of fitness types on the trail. I expected it would be crowded because it is free to park and nearby Brentwood. Wouldn't mind the people so much, but there were some really loud talkers! The trail is nice and wide in most spots. I saw lots of turkeys both Toms roosting, and hens with the babies. They should rename it to Turkey Hill as there are a lot of them here! Very beautiful scenery to soak up. Take water with you - there is some shade, but not in a lot of places.. Hold your nose in the toilet. I like the trail and will be back in the winter when the hills are green again.