Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak is a 7.4 mile loop trail located near Clayton, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Park at the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area

fabulous!
I did this loop from Juniper Campground, so I had about 4 extra miles added on in order to get to and from the camping site. Went down deer flat road to the trail, took the loop clockwise from there, going down Mitchell Canyon Road and back up Mitchell Rock trail and Twin Peaks Trail.
Twas grand in the fall! all the leaves were changle.
Mitchel Canyon Road is a fire road, it's smooth and wide. I really enjoyed the 2nd half of the trail, going up mitchell rock trail and eagle peak trail, because it's a little more rugged and adventurous: narrow path, more rocks to step and climb over. but nothing too strenuous. don't get me wrong though, it was tough. but do-able. I was very grateful that I brought hiking poles. it was also pretty hot- even in mid-October. it was like, 80 degrees.
of course the views were sensational form each peak. From Eagle Peak, I saw beautiful dark mountains. they looked completely black, but they were really just covered in deep green chaparral.
Twas a quiet trail, I saw a handful of people, but it was a week day.
I reached Deer Flat road as the sun was starting to descend in the sky, and the lighting was gorgeous on the hills. It turned all the yellow into gold.
I highly recommend this hike, especially if you are staying at Juniper Campground. and I highly recommend Juniper Campground too.

nice trail...I want to go back again...

Wednesday 4/4/18 8:00 am start. Great weather. Some wildflowers. Few people. First two miles on the road is totally flat and totally relaxing (could picnic), a bit more challenging after that. Better photo ops coming down after Eagle peak. Great hike.

Great trail that's a little challenging for most but well worth it... Mt Diablo is awesome.

Great trail! We clearly strayed from the beaten path and added on a few miles, but it was definently worth it! It’s not an easy hike, there were some rough up and down hills going to and from the top where the picnic benches are. That said, the normal route can be accomplished by anyone in decent shape! The views are great, happy hiking :)

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Good trail, not too hard but coming over Eagle Peak trail it is loose footing the last 2-3 miles in a lot of places so be cautious. Gentle upward climb with a few steeper places but the descent areas on Eagle Peak are the tricky ones with loose shale and rocks. Cooler day so windy but nice. Being from the south east I enjoyed the trees on this trail that are often lacking in this area of California on hikes I have taken. May try a spur that does not go over Eagle Peak if anyone can recommend one that returns to parking lot. Took 3 hours with the slowdown on slip-slide descent lol

Sunday, July 03, 2016

It was a hot day of summer today highest temp was 81, we started at 7:30 (the park opened a little early today). The hiking uphill was 2 hours to eagle peak but back to starting point was almost 3 hours. At this point of time, coming back downhill could be dangerous. We were four friends and two got injured due to rough and slippery surface while coming back downhill. Enough water is must. One side was 3.8 miles for us. We stayed a little on Mitchell rock and twin peaks on the way to eagle peak. This was my first time in this season. I mostly have done mission peak, but I would say this one is much better and entertaining. After all the enjoyment we were back at home at 12:30 pm.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Fairly tough, but gorgeous hike with some lovely vistas at the peak. Highly recommended.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Did this for the umpteenth time ( i don't remember how many) in 7/2015 and it was a hot day. The majority of getting to the destination is uphill and winding around the sides of the hills to gain elevation. There are side paths to bypass all the winding and save time but it's steeper incline.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Gorgeous Spring hike with many wildflowers in bloom.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Great hike and beautiful scenery. Strenuous incline and super hot. Bring lots of water, snacks to replenish loss of salt and hiking poles.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Absolutely loved this hike, spectacular views and plenty of uphill treading.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

I made the mistake of doing this loop on a very hot day in June. My friend and I thought we were getting an early enough start (8:45 am), but we really should have left much earlier to beat the heat. We made it to Eagle Peak just fine (the hardest part, a pretty decent uphill single track trail with switchbacks), and then the heat really started to get to me. We had water, and my friend had brought some electrolyte drink as well. I call this the hike o' death, because I nearly didn't make it due to the heat. But we both agree, we would do it again, but we would wait until the weather is cooler and I would bring electrolytes as well. The views are spectacular and I am actually eager to do this hike again, but maybe in late September.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Good hike. A little hot in June so take lots of water. Nice views and woll marked trails.

Friday, May 02, 2014

Great hike, wonderful views of east bay, windmill farm, rest of Mt. Diablo state park. Even the quarry doesn't look so bad from the crest. It gets hot so leave early in the summer. This is a strenuous hike, take enough water to last the whole hike, and some snacks. I actually did the loop: Mitchell canyon to eagle peak and then went down the other way to back creek trail etc. The first half has quite a bit of shade but the rest has quite a bit of exposure. Definitely worth it.

recorded hard