Learn more

Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(312)
Mount Diablo State Park

Mitchell Canyon Road to Eagle Peak is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,155 feet Route Type: Loop

Park at the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area

Beautiful long hike with great views. We went clockwise and veered off the route to cut though the summit at the top which was the steepest part of the climb and a bit slippery. Bring sunscreen as the trail wasn’t always shady and we got a late start. Great for wildlife-we saw a snake, rabbits, deer and lots of birds. Definitely bring snacks. We stopped for lunch on eagle peak and then snacks at the summit. Just over seven hours for us. Bring exact change to pay the $6 to park -it’s honor system.

I would highly recommend this trail to anyone looking for a real challenge with an easy ending. The first half of the route, to the summit of Diablo, was really tough but well worth the amazing views. The second half was an easy, all down-hill, back to the starting point. We saw a deer, wild turkey, loads of geckos and gorgeous birds. The flora was great too! Well worth the effort! Go for it!

I was blown away by the beautiful views and colorful wild flowers everywhere. However my awe was short lived as the trail became increasingly steep and arduous. Took us about 2 hours to get to eagle peak from the bottom. Do not be fooled, there are two more peaks after that which makes you want to sit down and cry. It took us 5 hours in total to complete the entire loop.

Booty kicker

Great for training runs, all of the gain is in the first 6 miles. Honestly skip Mitchell’s fire road all together and just do the trail that hits twin peaks, eagle peak and summit as an out and back. It’s just a fire road, nothing special and real easy. There’s running water at the camp site by the summit which is helpful.

$6 to park at Mitchell Creek Visitor Center. Nice toilet there. Mitchell Creek trail was excellent! Great views. Might have been best part of trail for me, next time might just explore this area) Eagle Peak Trail was mostly fire road and very very steep. At the intersection somehow missed Bald Creek Trail and took Meridian Ridge up to North Peak Trail. North Peak had really great views!! This was my other favorite section. Wasn't a clear day so didn't see much from the top. Honestly would have rather done our picnic somewhere on North Peak away from the people at the summit. Hike down was uninspiring. Wished we would have went with the original plan to leave a car at the top. Juniper Trail wasn't bad, Juniper campground looked nice. Mitchell Canyon Road was a fireroad without very good views. By this point my feet were hurting and it wasn't worth the pain haha. But I also wore Nike's for a 15 miles hike, so my bad. First third of the whole hike was by far the best! And that part was amazing!

fee

Very good difficult hike. Very scenic and covered two peak encourage to diablo summit.

Fantastic hike with great views. Very rigorous with the 4000 foot elevation gain. We went to the summit lookout station which added another mile as our hike was over 14 miles round trip.

Did the trail counterclockwise which I definitely think was the right choice. Very tough hiking but beautiful conditions. A few small sections where the trail seemed a tiny bit washed out after eagle peak and before the summit. Definitely wouldn’t want to be out here in the summer!

Beautiful views and well worth the time. I went clockwise so it’s a single track all the way up, then a service road almost the entire decent. It was overcast but the clouds were high, so once I got high enough I could see all the way to the Sierras!

Beautiful! Technical uphill if you go clockwise, which I recommend. Smoother fire road down.

Agreed with other reviews, bring lots of water. Beautiful views up top, worth it!

We hiked Mitchell Canyon and Eagles Peak loop. 8 miles for 6 hours solid hard work. Eagle Peak is such a beautiful trail, that made all of elevations gain rewarded. It was rocky! So I am thinking it is probably easier to start with the Eagle Peak and finish with Mitchell Canyon. Going downhill through Eagle Peak ( a steep rocky trail ) can be dangerous. Overall it was such a fun day!

Tue May 21 2019

This is a wonderful hike with spectacular views and enough elevation change to challenge you, but at an accessible pace.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Sun Apr 14 2019

Arrived at 8am on a Sunday to get an early start and headed in a clockwise direction. The first half of the uphill is somewhat steep and takes time but it preferable to going counterclockwise and saving the steep part for the second half of the uphill. Some wildflowers were in bloom along the way and the summer wasn’t too busy. Headed down the fire road which was more gradual and appreciated after hiking for so many hours. A solid hike in the bag area and one of the more challenging day hikes. 4/14/19

Sat Mar 02 2019

Nice hike on a rainy day

Mon Feb 18 2019

Very tough because of up downs towards Eagle peak. Being a beginner my thigh muscle almost got a cramp. Climbing down is easier because of smoother and wider trail. Eagle peak is not really a Vista point so in the end its not very exciting

Sun Oct 21 2018

fabulous! I did this loop from Juniper Campground, so I had about 4 extra miles added on in order to get to and from the camping site. Went down deer flat road to the trail, took the loop clockwise from there, going down Mitchell Canyon Road and back up Mitchell Rock trail and Twin Peaks Trail. Twas grand in the fall! all the leaves were changle. Mitchel Canyon Road is a fire road, it's smooth and wide. I really enjoyed the 2nd half of the trail, going up mitchell rock trail and eagle peak trail, because it's a little more rugged and adventurous: narrow path, more rocks to step and climb over. but nothing too strenuous. don't get me wrong though, it was tough. but do-able. I was very grateful that I brought hiking poles. it was also pretty hot- even in mid-October. it was like, 80 degrees. of course the views were sensational form each peak. From Eagle Peak, I saw beautiful dark mountains. they looked completely black, but they were really just covered in deep green chaparral. Twas a quiet trail, I saw a handful of people, but it was a week day. I reached Deer Flat road as the sun was starting to descend in the sky, and the lighting was gorgeous on the hills. It turned all the yellow into gold. I highly recommend this hike, especially if you are staying at Juniper Campground. and I highly recommend Juniper Campground too.

Tue Oct 09 2018

nice trail...I want to go back again...

Thu Apr 05 2018

Wednesday 4/4/18 8:00 am start. Great weather. Some wildflowers. Few people. First two miles on the road is totally flat and totally relaxing (could picnic), a bit more challenging after that. Better photo ops coming down after Eagle peak. Great hike.

Sat Dec 02 2017

Great trail that's a little challenging for most but well worth it... Mt Diablo is awesome.

Fri Nov 24 2017

Great trail! We clearly strayed from the beaten path and added on a few miles, but it was definently worth it! It’s not an easy hike, there were some rough up and down hills going to and from the top where the picnic benches are. That said, the normal route can be accomplished by anyone in decent shape! The views are great, happy hiking :)

Wed Oct 04 2017

Good trail, not too hard but coming over Eagle Peak trail it is loose footing the last 2-3 miles in a lot of places so be cautious. Gentle upward climb with a few steeper places but the descent areas on Eagle Peak are the tricky ones with loose shale and rocks. Cooler day so windy but nice. Being from the south east I enjoyed the trees on this trail that are often lacking in this area of California on hikes I have taken. May try a spur that does not go over Eagle Peak if anyone can recommend one that returns to parking lot. Took 3 hours with the slowdown on slip-slide descent lol