Mist Falls Trail

Mist Falls Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dunlap, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Moderate hike. Largely flat road. First mile is exposed and less interesting than the rest of the trail. Nats/mosquitos abound; wear big spray. Popular for day hikers and multi-day backpackers, but if you hit the trail early less people. Recommend hiking just a bit past the bottom of Mist Falls. Good views of the Canyon about half-way up the waterfall (approx. 0.2 mile).

Loved this trail! Trail is clear and full of beauty. First mile or so has a lot of fire damage, but nothing impeding the trail and honestly I thought it was cool to see. That being said, don't forget your sunscreen because a good chunk of the trail is exposed without shade. The falls were roaring and the forest was gorgeous and green after you got past the fire scars!

I really enjoyed this hike. The falls were spectacular. We did come across a rattlesnake sunning himself on the trail. He rattled, uncoiled and slithered away. We also came face to face with a bear ... we exchanged pleasantries and went our separate ways. I recommend bug spray, as the mosquitos were out in full force.

I turned a blind corner and ran into a black bear. We glanced at each other and kept walking. Whew. Awesome sighting

This trail should be rated as easy. Anyone can do this hike. We left around 6:30 and totally beat all the crowds! It was soo serene being on this trail by ourselves. This is a very popular hike. We passed tons of people on our way back. Definitely a hike to do early if you want to beat the crowds

Running back down this trail was an absolute blast!

7/29/17: gorgeous hike that takes you through forest and then along the river, then some rock scrambling and steps to the the big payoff. The first 1-2 miles are on sand with very little shade, which isn't awesome. But the waterfalls and views at the rock domes before the rocks are worth it. Did this with 2 kids with no problem. The river is very fast moving and angry- have a heathy fear of it and stay away from the banks where it's swift.

Great hike and the falls are amazing right now. As others have said, take bug spray! Also, watch your step carefully. We saw two rattlesnakes on the trail.

Probably the most beautiful hike I've ever been on. We were only able to do a few things in kings canyon and we were so glad that we did this hike. The hike overall is completely worth it.

Amazing hike!! Definitely need to bring bug spray, but otherwise, the perfect hike.

This was quite a challenge for a beginning hiker like myself, but it is doable and the experience was well worth it. The experience offered the feeling of tranquillity as one is enveloped in deep forest for a good portion of the hike. The reward lives up to the name: Mist Falls will definitely greet you. For the more experienced hiker, just a mere two more miles will take you to Paradise Valley, one that I'll hope to experience once my endurance increases.