Mist Falls Trail

Mist Falls Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dunlap, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Great hike overall. Especially loved the constant change of scenery. We saw a brown bear and her cub on the way up, was incredible! The only downside were the bugs, so bring repellent.

Started at Zumwalt Meadow and extended our hike to include the trail to Bailey’s bridge. From Bailey’s bridge, we began the climb to Mist Falls. We encountered gnats and mosquitoes throughout the entire 12.8 miles. More pleasant wildlife encounters included a bear, a mule train, and a snake. Although the granite stairway to Mist Falls was tough, it was totally worth it to see waterfall.

the nuisance of bugs was minor compared to the overall hike. great views. just challenging enough. looking forward to exploring the other trails in the area

Great hike! You get a little bit of everything with this hike and you are almost always within ear shot of the river. When you get to the falls, the mist from it is quite invigorating and refreshing!

Loved this one!

Great trail! Can be heavily trafficked on certain days. Kings Canyon does not disappoint. Absolutely beautiful! Even with the smoky skies from California wildfires. Take bug spray, the mosquitoes can be relentless.

This trail is amazing. I would definitely recommend going past mist falls into paradise valley though. Not an extreme amount of climbing after the falls and is totally worth it. It's an entirely new world there and only adds about 3-4 miles onto your trip. Can get kind of crowded and buggy but definitely a must see when in Kings Canyon!

Amazing hike. Totally recommended. Not very high but with amazing views.
We took the loop back and saw 3 dears, so beautiful! You should do it, take your time and enjoy beautiful views!!

Very nice hike...wasn’t crowded at all when we went (10:00am on a Friday). My wife and I took our time on this hike exploring all along the way...in the end this hike took us 6 hours to hike to the falls and back. When you arrive at Mist Falls (to the actual sign announcing Mist Falls) know that there is a path that isn’t marked that can take you down to the water where you can get close to the Falls. This is where we had our lunch. On our last 3 miles on the way back it started to rain on us. We had decided to take the loop back which was a much different scenic view than the first leg leaving the trail head (if you have the time I recommend this route back). As all the other comments stated...lots and lots of mosquitos for the first two miles or so.

Great trail with beautiful scenery. Lots if water and falls. The first mile is quite flat, exposed and boring. If hiking in the evening, apply bug repellent or wear a bug screen. Very easy trail, that gets tougher once you pass the falls and head toward Paradise Valley. .

Definitely a hike that anyone visiting Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP should take. The trail is rather easy in the beginning as it winds through the forest with the South Fork King’s River to your right for the majority of the trip. But for all the beauty you experience you WILL be eaten alive by bugs. Even with frequent spraying of bug spray they managed to get every inch of me. About 2 miles in if you take the right fork you can get some beautiful views off a suspension bridge over the river. Shortly after this portion you will begin your climb. Of course with the gain in elevation you will see many smaller falls off to your right that you will been keen to snap some photos of. The falls are clearly marked on the trail by a sign and you can either continue the trail to the upper portion of the falls or relax at the bottom. The cool mist is so refreshing and offers a wonderful atmosphere to have lunch.

Terrible first mile, the trail is covered with sand/crushed granite and it exhausting to walk in but the rest of the hike is gorgeous!

It was a decently hot day and no real good shade for first couple of miles. the trail is sandy then becomes rocky. slight grade uphill until the top but does have variation so it decreases the difficulty. there were spots all along the trail to hop in the water or cool yourself down. the views all the way there were amazing. complaints are the squitos. yuck, even with bug repellant. the falls were beautiful and there were lots of space to sit back an enjoy. wish we would have seen some wildlife but only lizards and squirrels. beautiful, moderate day hike. bring lots of water!

Let me preface by saying that I was unable to make it to the waterfall due to a knee injury and the climb at the end would have been too much for me.

I honestly would have given this hike 4-5 stars (even without making it to the waterfall-it’s that gorgeous) if it weren’t for the awful sandy part in the beginning. It literally felt like we were walking on beach sand. Which is fine at first, but gets really old, really fast. Especially on tired legs as you’re coming back.

Otherwise, it was beautiful! Great views the whole way. The river was gorgeous. Fairly gradual climb until the end.

Bring lots of water if you go in the summer! It was in the 90s when we went and we felt every bit of that. Also bring lots of bug spray. They were relentless! Not a lot of shade for a good portion of the beginning (the awful sandy part) so keep that in mind if you go in the summer. We hiked this on 6/20/18.

Excellent hike. Great views of the canyon and the falls, with a decent amount of shade. I went yesterday, and even though the parking lot was overflowing, the trail didn't seem that busy. I think the length depends on which way you go though. I went out and back, instead of in a loop, and it was a little over 9 miles. Still a good day hike though, and I finished in about 4 hours.

The main reason it didn't get 5 stars is that there are a LOT of bugs. Even with bug spray, I still got bit, so come prepared!

A fun trail but definitely some mosquitos in the summer so bring bug spray.

Great views! Parking lot was full but we saw very few people on the trail. As we were returning, we crossed the Bailey Bridge and finished the hike on the “Kanawyer trail”. We preferred the trail on that side of the river. If you use that side you do have to walk a little further to reach the bridge to Zumwalt Meadow. I didn’t see any wildlife or notice the mosquitoes.

We hiked this trail yesterday 6/25/18. It’s a great hike! We saw a Momma bear with 2 cubs. The falls and the views are outstanding! The mosquitoes were bad at spots. Use bug spray.

I loved this hike, we saw a lot of wildlife. We saw two rattlesnakes and a bear which was amazing. Others around us on the trail also talked about seeing other rattlesnakes, so watch your step! When we saw a bear, there was a ranger around who instructed us when to walk, and to walk fast. Overall, it was a nice hike, pretty flat with great views.

The first 2 or so miles are completely flat. The only thing that makes this a moderate is the distance. Lots of stairs, but completely doable. Make sure to use bug spray, and bring it with you to reapply!

Great day hike. A few places along the river had smoldering prescribed burns. No problems with bugs at noon. Busy trail, never seen this many people on the trails other than at General Grant and Sherman. Pack plenty of water and snacks. Not a long hike but temps at mid-seventies, can dehydrate fast and steep elevation at the end can sap energy reserve. My loop took 3.5 hrs and I am in decent fitness condition. check out my pics.

Wonderful trail with breathtaking views of Kings Canyon!
We started out early and were alone at the Mist Falls. Hiking the trail took us just over 4 hours, including an extensive break at the falls.
FYI: There were a lot of mosquitos on the first section of the trail, so I'd recommend bringing repellent.

Fun trail with great views of massive rock cliffs that runs next to a scenic river. Mist falls is very impressive and a good spot for a snack. The bugs weren’t bad today, but it was slightly warmer with a mild breeze. One downside is the time it takes to get to the trailhead if you’re not staying close (we came from Sequoia National Park).

This “trail” should just be and out and back instead of a loop. We crossed the bridge on the way back
to complete the loop but when we came to the point where the AllTrails map shows you can cross the river to enter the parking lot we we were unable to cross. Little did we know they open up the damn in the afternoon causing the river to rise, making it impassible. Other than the frustration of the 6 mile detour it was a beautiful hike. It can be done in 4 hours with plenty of time to hang out and take pictures if you make it an out and back. We did come across a nice size rattle along the way so be on the lookout, blends in with the trail. Also we got up close and personal with a bear blocking the trail which was pretty cool to see.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have been on! We left at 2:00 pm on a sunny day so bugs were not at all an issue. There is plenty of shade for most of the trail so it never got too hot either. There were a couple of false alarms on Mist Falls, as there are some smaller falls, so don't stop until you see the placard. It is a must-do if you go to the park!

Notes:
No bathroom on trail
Bring plenty of water - there is a bottle refill station at the entrance
Bring a light raincoat if you plan to spend any time at the actual falls
Bring sunscreen and bug spray (or long sleeves and hat netting)
Wear shoes you don't mind getting wet and muddy (Ours were fine but there were a few muddy spots and saw the terrain was capable of holding water after rain or snow melt)

Awesome!!

one of the best trials. it has meadow, forest, rock, falls, river, bridge in one trial. when you reach the mist falls, do not forget look back, it is amazing. i sit there and had the lunch. awesome!

Great trail and beautiful views aside from the waterfall.

I was looking for a trail during a solo Kings/Sequoia 3 day trip and wanted to look into a nice hike I can spend majority of the day with. I picked Mist Falls over all the other trails because of the end point being a nice waterfall. Growing up near Joshua Tree NPS I anticipated the trail to be fairly barren (meaning not much to look at) until the end of the trail but this trail proved otherwise and not disappoint! The first chunk of the trail has light shade and is fairly flat, then you shift into a denser forest before you get granted with a nice walk along the Kings River. The overflow from the river does feed into the trail, which forces you to maneuver a bit more off trail expected but it was easy to find your way back. Dense forest goes into fairly open canyon stone trail with a bit of elevation gain that increases in intervals. The last mile of the trail does get a bit strenuous if you're not careful with heat and your own pacing. The waterfall, however, does not disappoint and you're treated with a nice view of the canyon.
Round trip took about 5-6 hours including a short picnic at the end of the trail. Waterproof hiking shoes and bug spray are highly recommended!

This trail is a best kept secret at Kings Canyon National Park!!! First of all, driving back to this trail has more beautiful grand views, than any views in Yosemite or Sequoia National Parks. The first half of the trail has just enough mosquitoes to drive you crazy but its easy to speed through high mosquito zone. The second half of the trail opens up and has some of the best canyon views of a fast flowing river I have ever seen. The views of the falls at the end of the trail make it well worth toughing out the mosquitoes.