Mission Point via De Campos Trail

Mission Point via De Campos Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike. For beginners it will be challenging. Uphill mostly. Might be challenging for small kids. Great hike for moderate hikers. Great practice for backpacking.

Great hike & workout. Uphill the entire way; there’s an “easy” trail and a “hard” one. Great time to see wild flowers and beautiful views of the valley, Santa Monica Mountains, and far off in the distance downtown LA.

Up, up, up hill

This trail is definitely not for beginner hikers. The incline is pretty intense and there is almost no shade. That being said, I personally enjoyed it although it was a little challenging! If you’re looking for a good workout with many beautiful views, this is the trail for you! It provides almost a 360° view of our beautiful cities and when you reach three trees, there is a nice bench to sit (in what’s almost the only shade on the whole trail!) and enjoy the amazing views.

Not too bad of a trail. Lots of people hiking along. Few mountain bikers.

Monday, May 08, 2017

This is my go to night hike. Offers great views at night of Granada Hills, Sylmar and Northridge. Immediate access to the trail from the culdesac. Bring bug spray if you plan on doing the night outing.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Uphill. All uphill.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

This is a beautiful trail with a spectacular view of the city. The best time to come is after the rainy season when everything is green. It looks like Scotland it is so green!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

To get the full experience of how incredibly beautiful this trail can get you have to come during or right after the rain season. Green as far as the eye can see!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

good moderate hike. the hills make it a workout

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I took this hike today, as an early evening hike, my first time up it. The climb is a steady wind up around the switchbacks, a constant incline of varying steepness, on a comfortably wide dirt walk, with a steeper, yet much shorter option, cutting through it. The workout is great either way, the easiest path being for all skill levels and anyone whose knees could handle it. It continues a little further once you hit the peak, Mission Point, following a gas companies fence. Theres an out cropping of paths to take, including connection to O'Melveny park, though this peak is much higher.

A bench is located in a nice spot shaded with trees, a rare respite from the sunlight if hiking earlier in the day, it was near dark during my visit. To my surprise, there was a seemingly crazy possibly homeless man talking to himself while camped at the bench, eating a melon and rambling. I also encountered fours others on this trail, all apparently normal people just there for recreation. A man was biking it and that looked tough and fun, yet doable, so I could recommend that activity for this trail as well.

Parking is available at the end on the street in a cul-de-sac, and there is immediate access to the trail there.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Paved with a great view.. the incline is the best!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Almost made it to top but ran out if time. it was taking me longer to get to the top because of the constant uphill which I enjoyed but had to stop frequently since it was warm and there wasn't much shade but will do the trip again because I want to get to the top!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Went up 16/August/16 and loved it. We saw a coyote on our way down, pretty close to the end. We also took the harder route, which is no joke. You can get all the exercise you can handle on this trail. Good times, great valley views.

Pretty sunny and open, definitely bring a hat, sunscreen and plenty of water. ;)

Friday, July 08, 2016

Grotto trail never disappoints

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Amazing

Friday, January 01, 2016

This was my very first hike I was introduced to when I was little. My godfather took me here and we made it to the top. There's a simple trail to follow or you can also cut through some portions (just beware of snakes). The last bit of the hike can be a climb but is fun. I also believe there's an easier path to take but I find those boring.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

As some of the other reviewers have indicated, the trails into the Santa Susana Mountains originating from O'Melveny Park provide options for hikers of all levels. Make sure you do some research prior to picking your trail. I made the mistake of selecting an offshoot on the western end, which dead ended. You'll know you are on this offshoot, when the path narrows and you have wildflowers on both sides. There isn't much visibility, as I found out the hard way after walking past an adult rattlesnake. First experience with one and the rattle was very alarming and threatening. Luckily, it was an uneventful encounter.

I chose the Grotto Trail to access the apex. This trail is shorter, but steeper than the O'Melveny Trail which is wider and has a number of switchbacks. Some of the grades on the Grotto are very challenging to traverse and the traction in some sections is non existent. It is a quad, groin, and calf burning exercise.

If you are walking with dogs or prefer a more leisurely pace, the O'Melveny Trail up and down is the better choice. The trailhead begins at the end of the Park's picnic area and offers views of a stream which was quite dry as we are still in the middle of a drought in LA.

Regardless of the trail you select, both converge to the "Three Trees". The western most tree has a box with old notes, messages, etc. from fellow hikers. It is not as robust as the one found on the Wisdom Tree hike, but is still a cool little find. On a clear day, you can see to Downtown Los Angeles over the Santa Monica mountains and as far west as Calabasas / West Hills. From a photographic standpoint, I did not have much to shoot on my hike, but it was a hazy day with boring sky and few floral blooms. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Saturday, May 03, 2014

Great trail! Good hike to get your heart rate going and fun shortcuts. Loved the views too!

Thursday, February 27, 2014

I like taking the shortcuts on this trail. Great workout. The review before mine is interesting. I haven't seen any Bears or mountain lions yet. I hope when I do I'm just as brave. But I fear for my dogs life running into mountain lions. So far the majority tells me there's nothing to worry about just stand up to them and make noises and don't run but I jog down trails all the time.

Saturday, February 08, 2014

I did this trail a few months ago. A nice workout to the top. Once at the top, I continued along the fireroad, beyond the trespassing area (go around, not through fences). You'll be hiking in a forest of oaks. As I was approaching a large oak on the edge of the road, out comes a very large black bear! At this point, most would run...nah, I pulled out my iPhone and shot video of him! I believe this is the bear that keeps wondering into the local communities.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Growing up in Granada Hills, I have fond memories of riding my mountain bike to Mission Point for the past 25 years. I only ever ridden a mountain bike to the top . . . so I cannot say much about hiking, though there are always people walking up the trail. If you are into mountain biking, like a good uphill work out with a "downhill" reward . . . then this is the place! If you have a full suspension bike, you can get up to 30 mph speeds. Some parts of the trail have a lot of loose gravel and deep ruts which adds to the fun. Keep your eye out for horse back riders and hikers! Lastly, the wind can pick up thru the canyon passes . . . it is not uncommon to 40-50 mph winds. I rode to the top with my teenage kids . . . the wind made it quite the challenge!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nice trail with a good amount of incline, especially if you take the shortcuts. Very nice views the entire way up (besides all the LA smog!). Took us about 1.5 hours to do about 4.5 miles, and it felt like a workout most is the time. Clean trails, sunflowers along the way, but saw a couple garden snakes. Would visit again...just wish there were more trees!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Fun trail with some pretty great views. Starts off with a little slightly hidden pond, then you're going uphill all the way to the top. You can keep going if you don't mind trespassing a little in the gas company's land. Great workout hike with a rewarding view from the top.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Great hike! 2 Miles uphill, then 2 miles back down. there are smaller side trails that cut through the hills that are steeper and a little more challenging. Great views all the way to the top. Nice and green in February, made for a very scenic hike. Once to the top you can head back down, or keep going, but it becomes a trespassing issue with the gas company. Street parking on Neon way was a breeze. The goldfish pond at the beginning was a fun surprise too. Had a blast, easily recommend this trail.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

My favorite hike so far

Monday, March 05, 2012

Wow, this was intense. Took the small (harder) for a bit, but couldn't hang. Making it all the way up is great! Beautiful views! Came back down running most of the way. That was fun! Definitely doing this trail again, and again.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Absolutely beautiful day! Great workout going up! Beautiful greens mountains! Spectacular views at the top! I especially loved the stacked rocks going up. I highly recommend this hike. It may be a warm hike in the summer as there isn't much shade.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A really nice day trip with good views of the valley and surrounding areas. I highly recommend getting the hiking portion done early or later in the day due to the high exposure of this primarily south facing trail.