Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mission Peak Loop from Stanford Avenue Staging Area

Mission Peak Loop from Stanford Avenue Staging Area is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

NOTE FROM THE EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK DISTRICT: THERE IS VERY LIMITED PARKING AT STANFORD AVENUE STAGING AREA. IT IS BEST TO PARK AT OHLONE COLLEGE TO ACCESS MISSION PEAK: 43600 MISSION BLVD TO ANZA PINE ROAD. Enjoy the spectacular views of the South bay as you climb up to Mission Peak. Although steep, the views of the Bay Area are very rewarding. On a clear day hikers can see the skylines of Oakland, San Francisco and San Jose. This is a moderate to strenuous trail with a constant uphill climb until you reach the summit. The trail is a well maintained gravel base until the last half mile. From this point the trail is hard pack dirt and rocky. Difficulty would definitely increase during the rainy season. The Stanford Avenue staging area is also the western access to the Ohlone Wilderness Trail, a 29-mile hiking and riding trail through some of southern Alameda County's most beautiful wilderness, and provides access to Mission Peak's 2,999 acres. Ensure that you have plenty of water before embarking on this hike, as there are very few spots to locate shade. The trail may be shared with equestrians, and dogs are allowed. There is no fee for parking, however on a busy day you may be required to park a little west, on one of the side streets. Dogs are allowed on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park.

no views until you're near the top, along the way there's nothing of interest and no shade and no views, no trees

kinda harder for today cuz rain. but great work out

We went with our 6 and 8 years old to this hike yesterday. The entire trail had no trees for shade so it would be pretty hot in the summer but we were lucky as it was cloudy when we were there. The hike is a loop from the parking lot and it took us 3.5 hours to finish since we made a few stops for our little boys in this 6.1 miles hike. It is definitely not a hard trail for the 95% of it as it is just a wide road, not steep either. The last 100 steps to the peak could be a little tougher but if you spend your time, it would be just fine. We saw cows, lot of squirrels, a fox and turkeys. My kids were so excited to see them.

Great dog friendly trail; recommend doing the full loop.

A little less muddy than it was 2 days ago but the horse trail is still pretty swampy in parts.

Done this hike consecutively 3 years, good workout for body.

Very nice trail - beautiful views of Bay area and mountains around. The trail is hard. It has a constant uphill climb all the way to the top and not very many switchbacks, and is a good test for fitness (for other mountaineering challenges). The top is super windy so carry some warm wear. Lots of cows around but they're pretty harmless. Pretty crowded (even on a rainy day)

Very muddy right now.

One of my favorite trails. Can easily burn 2K calories on this trail. Awesome views of Fremont from above.

Super steep, not for the faint of heart. I run marathons, etc. but I found this challenging. It was incredibly crowded, with people who don’t give you personal space and hog the entire trail. I recommend coming here on the weekday and not weekend. You have to park about a mile away. The gravel towards the top is slick and it’s easy to slide and fall. Not good for kids. The view at the top was amazing but there was a 15 person line to take a picture with the iconic post. Lots of views of rolling hills, cannot see the ocean though.

Climbing Mission Peak, starting from Stanford, is not my favorite trail. If you are simply looking for a workout then this is the trail. I find it to be a boring fire road trail with very little of interest. Granted the view from the peak is amazing and there are plenty of other hikers to share it with.
My favorite experience were the tarantulas along the way. They are perfectly harmless and wonderful to photograph

We finished the whole loop. It is windy sunny and muddy to the end. We walk clockwise to the loop, everything is cool. But the horse heaven trail is so muddy and few people walked on it. More importantly, it is much longer than I expected. So bring food, water, sunblock with you. Hats are not very helpful as the wind constantly wants to take them.

This offers great views. Last stretch is tough but doable for ppl in avg shape. There will be a lot of cows on the way - they are calm and harmless. We did this two times - first one was in summer but hill was warm and no green grass. But last week it was great with green all around.

I’ve done this trail about 8 times, but I felt the need to write a review after this recent hike. It’s extremely muddy after recent rain (to be expected) but people risk their safety and also go off-trail despite the signs just to get the picture at the summit. Please be smart, have the right gear (don’t just wear sneakers, it’s rated hard for a reason), and take your trash with you!

This hike is not a true hike for those that love the outdoors. It’s just a super wide road that goes up to the peak. If you’re going after rain, stay away! The mud is incredibly dense and you’ll slide all over the place when coming down. The trail is very dense with people since it seems this is the closest place to outdoors bougie San Jose folks like to go to

not advisable just after the rains. the entire path gets mucky and very difficult to climb

bonito lugar para caminar con tu pareja y tu perro

Winter is the perfect time to hike Mission Peak and its surroundings because the hills are green and weather is nice. But it is just too crowded. Given its location, it is a good training ground for beginner.

this is my 2nd time completing this trail. The trail basically goes uphill from start to finish. I highly recommend hiking boots. when I went there was some muddy areas due to the rainfall the day before. We got there about 10:20am and finished the trail before 2pm (with a 30 min break) on Presidents Day. It was a Monday, there was many people going up on my way down. The weather was perfect from when we started and ended. I recommend wearing a wind breaker because it do get very windy at the top! Also knee pads if you have knee problems. Make sure you bring plenty of water! that is very important. parking is limited so the earlier you go the better. we didnt encounter much cattle which is good but there was cow poop all over the trail, so keep an eye out. sun block is recommended if you are going during warmer months. I had my skin peel before because of the sun burn. I would definitely do this hike again! its challenging and I loved it! at the end of the hike I did over 20,000 steps on my Fitbit! just pace yourself.

Great trail! Amazing views all the way. Long steep stretches. Fun rocky hike near the top. No shade almost all the way. Bring lots of water and also sunscreen(depending on conditions). Cows grazing all over the place... Also watch out for cow poop... It's practically everywhere!... To complete the loop, you have to go through a few gates and it looks like you are going off trail because of the wire fences but you are actually not.. The fence is to keep cows out (I think), and not hikers... I think many people were simply going back the way they came from after reaching the top because of this confusion... It seems to be one of the most popular trails in the area so be prepared to see a lot of people on weekends.

Great trail, did it couple of times and would love to do it again!

Much harder than expected

Depending on the weather it can be killer in the heat or cold (during winter)

Make sure to wear proper hiking shoes, as I saw a vast majority of people wearing running/sneaker shoes. There are a few patches of loose gravel. You’ve been warned