Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak

Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the Santa Monica Mountains. Highlights include the spectacular Echo Cliffs where rock climbers ascend shear cliffs, a house sized boulder delicately balanced on a small rock beneath, a giant split rock where kids can dash between the sheer walls, stunning giant sandstone formations, and breathtaking views from the top of Sandstone Peak and Inspiration point. Highly recommended.

31 minutes ago

Beautiful hike! Started at the suggested spot for sandstone peak and took the peak trail up, rather than wrapping around the backside on the Mishe Mokwa trail. It's a steeper ascent, but I prefer getting the steepness out of the way when my legs are fresh. Once you finish sandstone peak and enjoy the view (there was a snake by the sign in box, FYI), stick to the backbone trail to finish out toward Tri Peaks, Balance Rock, and the rest of the Mishe Mokwa trail. It is worth it to complete the full loop, by the way! The views are breathtaking and, if you're lucky, you can take a break past Balance Rock and watch some awful rock climbers try to ascend a wall across the valley.

Others are not exaggerating about the parking lot. I was glad I brought my CR-V rather than my fiancé's Fit - you could do some damage to your vehicle trying to go up that entrance. There are a couple spots on the road for parking but if those are taken, there is a larger lot about a 10 minute walk away if you're coming in from the Westland Blvd side. Enjoy!

First time hiking this trail today, and I loved it! I started at the Sandstone Peak trailhead and took the Mishe Mokwa trail up to the peak and the shorter trail back down to the parking lot. The views are amazing for a good chunk of the hike and the trail was varied enough that I never got bored.

Parts of the trail are definitely rocky, but I didn't feel any of the sharp edges through my hiking boots. The trail is well maintained although there are a lot of offshoot trails - if you get to the two water towers, that's a dead end for the actual trail...don't waste time like I did trying to continue that way.

Beware if you are driving a vehicle without a lot of clearance - there are deep ruts at the entrance to the parking lot. Definitely bottomed out my Mazda3.

A quite nice hike that took a bit over two hours from me. I liked the sceneries the most. The parking lot was in bad shape, which seemed to be normal in this area. I saw several cars taking hits when trying to climb to the full lot.

Love this hike! It can get a bit crowded but it has so much diversity it is well worth sharing the space.

Hiked Musch trail then added Sandstone. Beautiful views and rock formations even though forecast was in the 100s. Started trail at 650AM & finished 10:30. I look forward to hiking in spring to enjoy the streams.

This trail is beautiful. Total only 3 hours for me with a lot of rest.