Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak

Mishe Mokwa Trail to Sandstone Peak is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the Santa Monica Mountains. Highlights include the spectacular Echo Cliffs where rock climbers ascend shear cliffs, a house sized boulder delicately balanced on a small rock beneath, a giant split rock where kids can dash between the sheer walls, stunning giant sandstone formations, and breathtaking views from the top of Sandstone Peak and Inspiration point. Highly recommended.

Beautiful views the whole time! I would rate this loop as “strenuous”. Bring lots of water and spf. There are also some very rocky downhillls. Ocean views are glorious! Have fun!!

It was challenging for our pooch but over all the trail was great and spectacular view ... the formation of the rocks were picture perfect and would love to come back more often!!! Next time best to bring extra water esp when the weather is warm... luckily hikers were kind enough to share to us their water... after seeing us had to carry our voluptuous med sized dogs :-) pack some lunches .. great idea to stop for a picnic... there are some tables when u reach halfway. Pay attention where you park... there are 2 parking lots and we could not find our car

Good view. Can get really hot in sunny days

Ok- this is a beautiful landscape to hike in, and I am glad I did it...however, a couple things of note: the map at the trail designated this as strenuous, not moderate, and it is 6 miles—
There are LOTS of paths that are like river beds without water, and almost no flat ground to walk on for the last 2 miles downhill of the hike. There are several places where you have to actually climb up and through boulders to continue on.
Sandstone Peak is not an actual path...it is actually an incline of rocks, sandstone, and a few large steps...at the top, it was gorgeous, but not for anyone afraid of heights...or falling...there are no guard rails, paths, etc. Again, I am glad I went, but small kids would have struggles, and it was tough!!

Great hiking trails for family and your paw babies.

awesome hike great views totally worth it.

Neat trail!

Beautiful early spring day for a hike, and a beautiful place to take one. Red sandstone monoliths contrasted nicely with green coastal shrubs, some of which were blooming. We saw a couple of dozen other hikers on this trail, and the trail is dog friendly. The views are amazing and reminded me a little of hiking in Arizona with the red sandstone contrasting with the greenery of the plant life and the bright blue dessert skies. The parking lot was flooded from recent rains, and was nearly full to capacity when we arrived-but there was also parking on the street leading into this hike. This area also appears to be popular with rock climbers and rappelers as we saw both.

Really enjoyable. Great views, not too much elevation change.

Great Hike Amazing view from the top.

Good hike with solid elevation. Seemed really long on a hot day. Views are great but some high clouds blocked the ocean view for us...

Amazing view!

excellent trail, lots of vegetation so quite cool though there are some exposed spots. highly recommended.

If you’ve ever dreamed of a heavenly place...this place can take you there to lose your mind and find your soul

Beautiful hike! Great surrounding views of Santa Monica mountains and also the ocean on a clear day. Cool to see all the caves and also rock climbers in the distance. The 6-mile MisheMakwe loop was beautiful, but the straight hike (2miles or so) to and from Sandstone peak is also a nice tough little hike (same elevation gain as the 6 mile loop in a fraction of the distance).
Fun drive to the parking lot too haha!
Done this a few times now but there's only a mobile bathroom in the parking lot about half of the time.

The views were absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! We went right and did Mishe Mokwa first. There was continual incline but it wasn’t bad...completely doable. It was just after rain so we saw a few small waterfalls and the trail was a bit muddy in places but again doable. We went to Inspiration Point and quite frankly the views there were way more astonishing that at Sandstone Peak!!!! This has been by far my favorite hike to date!!! I recorded the hike it was 7.2 miles (including inspiration point).

Great views! A bit wet after a couple days of rain but totally doable still! My dog loved it!

Love this trail!! Breathtaking views all the way. Prepare for an incline tho

Did slowly.. Took a left at first split straight towards Sandstone Peak. I'd rather heavy elevation gains for a shorter period & within first part of hike, than to deal with gradual, longer incline. Once you bag your peak, Inspiration Point is still another mile or 1.5 -- this map shows tintsy tiny bit of trail variance when heading from Sandstone towards Inspiration compared to my friends. No big deal. Hers showed to take trail pointing to Tri Peaks, this map has you go slightly different. Both are right & meet up w one another very quickly. Don't be surprised, after Inspiration Point, trek still another 3+ (this map I used didn't calculate actually stopping at Inspiration but it is WELL worth it if you do). If I'd planned better I would have added Tri Peaks.. The last 1/2 of hike is gradual descent but more tiring than you expect due to exertion to Sandstone. Views are stunning almost entire hike!. This would be great to take an out of towner hiker on. Better than cliche Hollywood sign or Runyon, in my opinion. Saw Channel Islands. Heavily trafficked though with not as much trail etiquette... that was only down side. Oh, and towards very end, follow map. When you get to sign that says .4 to Yerba Buena Rd or .2 to Sandstone, take that later.. that'll get you back to correct lot.

Great views the entire way. Well maintained with a good mix between mild rock scrambling and dirt paths. I'm not a view person, but inspiration point was stunning!

This place is absolutely beautiful! don't forget to bring water and snacks. It gets rocky on the trail so bring some good shoes and some good vibes!

Absolutely stunning views on a fun and dynamic hike! Def check out Inspiration Point along the way.

This hike truly does have amazing views of the ocean and the mountains to the east once you get to the top.
I got there pretty early (8am) and parking wasn’t an issue. By the time I got back to the car three hours later the lot was full and cars were parked on the main road so get there early!
I took the longer route which is less steep and much more scenic. It’s a huge loop so I took the sandstone trail back. The last quart mike or so requires a bit of scrambling but it’s nothing crazy. The view at the top is probably the most amazing view in all of LA. I got lucky with a clear day so I could see as far out as the Channel Islands.
Definitely a must do.

Awesome hike - good workout and amazing views. Make sure to stop at Inspiration Point before heading to the peak. Inspiration point has the best views and more space to sit and enjoy.

Fav hike In The Santa Monica’s!! ❤️✨❤️✨

epic.

Such an amazing trail! We found the trail quite easy to follow. The view is absolutely STUNNING! We were blown away. The hike did not make us tired as it had a good balance of inclines and declines on the route. Took us a around 3.5 hours to finish. Bring plenty of water!!

Not too difficult and such amazing views. Very rocky and uneven in many areas so make sure to watch your footing. Highly recommend this hike! Only issue was people blasting music when we reached the top.

Definitely my favorite hike in SoCal. Not too long to destroy you but enough to challenge you a bit and get the heart rate going. On a clear day the breathtaking views of the ocean when you reach the top is well worth it.

Great hike, beautiful changing views. rocky trail so wear good shoes. lots of elevation change to challenge you.