Miner's Trail

Miner's Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, California that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

A nice introduction to the Black Diamond Mines Regional Presserve. 5,717 acre preserve with coal mines, historic cemetery and Bay Views. Take the Canyon trail to connect to the Black Diamond Trail Temperatures in the summer can be extreme. The 5,717 acre preserve contains 3 historic coal mining sites, a historic cemetery and approximately 50 scenic trails. Very hilly terrain offers spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay Area. Dog allowed on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park

I love this trail, and all the trails here at Black Diamond. awesome views, easily attained. my dog loves it too!

beautiful trails out there, kids liked all the different mines and sights. lower trails are fairly muddy after the rain, but once you get up the hill a bit it is rockier and less muddy.

So much fun the family and I did 5.76 miles went all around the park so much to see and definitely will come back love this place

It was really fun and historical! There's so much to do! It was a really clean park. There are numerous slopes but nothing to hard.

I'm really not a hiker I'm usually riding trails, but I'm gonna try hiking here...
I'll repost once I try it.

Black diamond is the only good thing about antioch

Monday, November 28, 2016

We hiked during Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The weather was perfect. After the rain all hills were green. The trails were damp but not muddy. The views were gorgeous. The hike was a mildly challenging and fun, it had two significant hills for a total ascent of 1800 feet along 7 miles. We hiked on the Chaparral Trail up to the Ridge Trail and then came down to the Stewartville Town site. We returned up the steep on the single track Miner's Trail that follows along a hill ridge back to the Ridge trail.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Very little shade. You will be out in the sun for most of it. The cave is not a part of the highlighted trail. Make sure you take the detour to go see it. A good portion of the trail is walking along dirt roads. There is a lot of inclines but they lead to beautiful views of the rolling hills and parts of the surrounding city. Worth checking out. Bring extra water.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Good winter and spring trail especially if you like to hike with your dogs. You might even see a coyote or two. Some nice climbs for a decent. The great thing about the area is it also hooks up with the Mt Diablo trail system which in turn hooks up with a couple of more so you can hike any mileage you want in the area.

Monday, August 29, 2016

I really liked this trail. I would suggest starting out the trail going to the left. Once you get to the miners trail it was super steep and challenging. Easiest way is to make sure you have room if hiking with others and run or dart up these parts...forward momentum really worked for me. All of the other parts are at a steady incline up. Make sure to take water with you even though it is a short trail it was pretty hot out there and wear sunscreen. Even though I had some on I still got slightly sun burnt. Was really fun and will be doing this trail again.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Corcoran trail is almost vertical at some points and the trails are a little overgrown right now. not sure why but the flies were ridiculous, they were everywhere.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Very good trail, was fun to look at everything along the way. Lots of wildlife when we went. East trail to find, there were two trails to choose from the lot where we entered we chose the left trail was just about 6miles by the time we finished. was dog friendly our dog kept up.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

mice scenery and up hill... but the mines were closed.. definitely gong back whn they open up on march 5th

Monday, February 15, 2016

The views from Saddle Hill of the Sierras are well worth the uphill climb. Easily identified Yosemite and Tahoe!

Monday, February 15, 2016

There are a ton of trails to do at this Regional Park. I find that it is super fun to hop on and off trails and mix and match. On this day I took the Nortonsville trail to the coal canyon trail. Once on that trail I popped out onto the Black Diamond Trail. I took this up to the top and then came down. I jumped on the Manhattan Trail and then shifted to the Chaparral Loop trail to get back to the parking lot. This was a fun way to add some difficulty to the Black Diamond trail. The total distance was 7 miles. I'm going to estimate the climb is 1500 ft.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A muddy, slippery adventure the day after a rain. The views with some green on the hills on a clear day make a pretty view. My first hike on this trail and I'd do it again.

Monday, June 29, 2015

It was a good hike. Many trails to hike on. I went to black diamond trail and the chaparral loop trail. It was nice. Very pretty. In the black diamond trail I really enjoyed running into the rocks but in the chaparral loops trail number 7 is where you can climb the rock hills they have there. But they're are so many people there it was kind of irritating. And it's a small rock so you can hear them clearly. But of course I went on a Sunday so yes people will be there. But it's a decent hike. I suggest the loops trails . Gives you the over throw of the park.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Great place to walk/hike.dog friendly,but beware of dog owners with unleashed dogs.beautiful scenery!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Moderate Hike: started from Clayton, CA at the beginning of the Black Diamond Trail sign (downtown). You can park where the trailhead starts. Its flat for a while then starts a approximately 2 mile climb into the hills. This is a moderate climb not too strenuous. When you reach the regional park entrance, we stayed on the Cumberland trail which brings you by "the air shaft" a cave with an air shaft that was carved in the 1800's. I believe there was a mine below that has been filled in. You will then arrive to a paved road, we went left down the road to see "Jim's Place" this is a cave that was carved along side a claim. Interesting history. We continued down Coal Canyon Trail (moderate sometimes tricky small path) to the bottom where lies the remains of Nortonville. Up through Nortonville and over to the Black Diamond Mines and Rose Hill Cemetery. Although there are many different trails to take over by the cemetery and the Black Diamond mines, we returned back to Nortonville but then took the Black Diamond trail back up to the top and then over to Clayton. About 10 miles. Mostly well packed fire roads to walk on, the trail is how the miners got from Pittsburg (Nortonville) to Clayton in the 1800's. A lot of history. You can get maps and visit the Black Diamond Mines from the Somerville Entrance in Antioch. A beautiful area to visit, many trails to go on (you can hike to Contra Loma in Antioch from there). Wild life and wild flowers all around. Lovely when it's green, I haven't hiked it in the summer yet. I thoroughly enjoyed the hike. Bring water. No trees up the main hill and can get warm if you are hiking in the sun. Bike riders are popular there also.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Beautiful hike. Many different trails and hiked up a huge hill and the scenery was amazing. Could see Mt. Diablo, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood ect....