Miner's Trail

Miner's Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, California that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

A nice introduction to the Black Diamond Mines Regional Presserve. 5,717 acre preserve with coal mines, historic cemetery and Bay Views. Take the Canyon trail to connect to the Black Diamond Trail Temperatures in the summer can be extreme. The 5,717 acre preserve contains 3 historic coal mining sites, a historic cemetery and approximately 50 scenic trails. Very hilly terrain offers spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay Area. Dog allowed on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park

Great hike. Definitely moderate if you’re just doing Miners Trail. If you add in the Corcoran Trail the difficulty and work out goes up.

Loved this trail, very clean. Lots of beautiful scenery and very interesting hike!
Would not come here on a hot day, not a lot of shade.

Day one backpacking. Great place!

Pretty good hike. Lots of views. Antioch looks like a decent town from up there.

Always a good place to get out and stretch your legs

There is a kiosk at the entrance to the park which will collect $5/car to enter the park if the kiosk is staffed. When I went on a Saturday in January at 10:30 a.m. though, there was no one at the kiosk so we did not have to pay the entrance free. I would recommend that you expect to pay $5/car in case the kiosk is open when you come though.

Note: The trailhead is not the first parking lot that you see after the kiosk. Drive father down the road into the park to find the trailhead parking lot.

This trail will feel moderate for moderately experienced hikers and will feel difficult for inexperienced hikers or folks who are out of shape. This park reminds me of Briones Regional Park with rolling hills, city views, and lots of cows grazing in the park. Except I saw about twice as many cows here as I did in Briones Regional Park.

Definitely watch your feet for cow feces because it’s pretty much everywhere. I also couldn’t really find a good place to break for lunch midway through the hike, so settled for a scratchy patch of grass in semi-shade in between piles of cow feces.

There is a steep ascent on part of this trail that will freak out inexperienced hikers and make them rethink coming. If you bring a group of people with a mix of hiking experience, this is where you will see the most difference in people’s fitness levels and most likely people will not be able to hike at the same pace as at flatter parts of the trail.

This hike is ideal to do during cold and cloudy weather since there is full sun exposure pretty much the entire trail. Make sure you bring sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses even when going during winter. Also bring plenty of water since the sun will wear you out.

I’m glad I experienced this park, but don’t see myself coming back soon.

Great hike, very pretty, everything was very green. The kids thought they were dying (19,16,11,9) but had a great time.

I love this trail, and all the trails here at Black Diamond. awesome views, easily attained. my dog loves it too!

beautiful trails out there, kids liked all the different mines and sights. lower trails are fairly muddy after the rain, but once you get up the hill a bit it is rockier and less muddy.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

So much fun the family and I did 5.76 miles went all around the park so much to see and definitely will come back love this place

Friday, May 19, 2017

It was really fun and historical! There's so much to do! It was a really clean park. There are numerous slopes but nothing to hard.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I'm really not a hiker I'm usually riding trails, but I'm gonna try hiking here...
I'll repost once I try it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Black diamond is the only good thing about antioch

Monday, November 28, 2016

We hiked during Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The weather was perfect. After the rain all hills were green. The trails were damp but not muddy. The views were gorgeous. The hike was a mildly challenging and fun, it had two significant hills for a total ascent of 1800 feet along 7 miles. We hiked on the Chaparral Trail up to the Ridge Trail and then came down to the Stewartville Town site. We returned up the steep on the single track Miner's Trail that follows along a hill ridge back to the Ridge trail.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Very little shade. You will be out in the sun for most of it. The cave is not a part of the highlighted trail. Make sure you take the detour to go see it. A good portion of the trail is walking along dirt roads. There is a lot of inclines but they lead to beautiful views of the rolling hills and parts of the surrounding city. Worth checking out. Bring extra water.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Good winter and spring trail especially if you like to hike with your dogs. You might even see a coyote or two. Some nice climbs for a decent. The great thing about the area is it also hooks up with the Mt Diablo trail system which in turn hooks up with a couple of more so you can hike any mileage you want in the area.

Monday, August 29, 2016

I really liked this trail. I would suggest starting out the trail going to the left. Once you get to the miners trail it was super steep and challenging. Easiest way is to make sure you have room if hiking with others and run or dart up these parts...forward momentum really worked for me. All of the other parts are at a steady incline up. Make sure to take water with you even though it is a short trail it was pretty hot out there and wear sunscreen. Even though I had some on I still got slightly sun burnt. Was really fun and will be doing this trail again.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Corcoran trail is almost vertical at some points and the trails are a little overgrown right now. not sure why but the flies were ridiculous, they were everywhere.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Very good trail, was fun to look at everything along the way. Lots of wildlife when we went. East trail to find, there were two trails to choose from the lot where we entered we chose the left trail was just about 6miles by the time we finished. was dog friendly our dog kept up.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

mice scenery and up hill... but the mines were closed.. definitely gong back whn they open up on march 5th

Monday, February 15, 2016

The views from Saddle Hill of the Sierras are well worth the uphill climb. Easily identified Yosemite and Tahoe!

Monday, February 15, 2016

There are a ton of trails to do at this Regional Park. I find that it is super fun to hop on and off trails and mix and match. On this day I took the Nortonsville trail to the coal canyon trail. Once on that trail I popped out onto the Black Diamond Trail. I took this up to the top and then came down. I jumped on the Manhattan Trail and then shifted to the Chaparral Loop trail to get back to the parking lot. This was a fun way to add some difficulty to the Black Diamond trail. The total distance was 7 miles. I'm going to estimate the climb is 1500 ft.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A muddy, slippery adventure the day after a rain. The views with some green on the hills on a clear day make a pretty view. My first hike on this trail and I'd do it again.

Monday, June 29, 2015

It was a good hike. Many trails to hike on. I went to black diamond trail and the chaparral loop trail. It was nice. Very pretty. In the black diamond trail I really enjoyed running into the rocks but in the chaparral loops trail number 7 is where you can climb the rock hills they have there. But they're are so many people there it was kind of irritating. And it's a small rock so you can hear them clearly. But of course I went on a Sunday so yes people will be there. But it's a decent hike. I suggest the loops trails . Gives you the over throw of the park.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Great place to walk/hike.dog friendly,but beware of dog owners with unleashed dogs.beautiful scenery!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Moderate Hike: started from Clayton, CA at the beginning of the Black Diamond Trail sign (downtown). You can park where the trailhead starts. Its flat for a while then starts a approximately 2 mile climb into the hills. This is a moderate climb not too strenuous. When you reach the regional park entrance, we stayed on the Cumberland trail which brings you by "the air shaft" a cave with an air shaft that was carved in the 1800's. I believe there was a mine below that has been filled in. You will then arrive to a paved road, we went left down the road to see "Jim's Place" this is a cave that was carved along side a claim. Interesting history. We continued down Coal Canyon Trail (moderate sometimes tricky small path) to the bottom where lies the remains of Nortonville. Up through Nortonville and over to the Black Diamond Mines and Rose Hill Cemetery. Although there are many different trails to take over by the cemetery and the Black Diamond mines, we returned back to Nortonville but then took the Black Diamond trail back up to the top and then over to Clayton. About 10 miles. Mostly well packed fire roads to walk on, the trail is how the miners got from Pittsburg (Nortonville) to Clayton in the 1800's. A lot of history. You can get maps and visit the Black Diamond Mines from the Somerville Entrance in Antioch. A beautiful area to visit, many trails to go on (you can hike to Contra Loma in Antioch from there). Wild life and wild flowers all around. Lovely when it's green, I haven't hiked it in the summer yet. I thoroughly enjoyed the hike. Bring water. No trees up the main hill and can get warm if you are hiking in the sun. Bike riders are popular there also.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Beautiful hike. Many different trails and hiked up a huge hill and the scenery was amazing. Could see Mt. Diablo, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood ect....

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Fantastic hikes! Miles and miles of trails, steeped in history from the coal mining days of the 19th century. There is a mine tour and a visitor center to visit as well. Hikes can be long and strenuous as the hills are steep. Springtime brings green grass and acres of wildflowers. In summer YOU need to bring Lots of water!!

Monday, February 17, 2014

Hiked here in January. My cousins and I started our hike going towards the cemetary. From there we followed the trail towards the left. There were smaller/narrower trails leading back to the parking lot and since it was starting to get really cloudy & looking like it might rain we decided to take a trail back instead of continuing. Once we got back though the weather was completely different and even sunny! We still had some energy left and decided to hike half a mile up the other direction we had started at and then took another trail to come back down. The trails were marked well and it definitely helps that there are maps in the visiting center and in the parking lot which is further down. There are a couple of historical places along the hike & info stands which was pretty neat! FYI no bathrooms once you start the hike!

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Being a local I have hiked these trails countless times. During spring the hills are green and vibrant. During summer hot and yellow and or not pleasant to the eyes. During fall and winter more green then yellow. Many turkey vultures, cows, and ground squirrels. Rattlesnakes tarantulas and Bob cats on the less traveled trails and seen rarely. And in the last year deer and wild turkeys have emerged. I've walked dogs here before and if you have a husky I would say beware due to the fact ticks thrive in these areas. Had to remove 10 plus ticks from my dog one time. But staying on the dirt/rock trails helps a lot in avoiding ticks. I've seen dog fights there so please leash your dog's haha. There's a trail that goes all the way to Clayton if your looking for a challenge and Prospect tunnel is also worth seeing though a challenge to get there and back, can be accessed easier from contra loma. Overall during summer I can't stand this place too dry and no shade. During winter spring and fall I appreciate having this place nearby. And it has a cemetery!