Miner's Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, California that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,223 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Note: This parking lot is currently closed due to COVID-19. However, the lower parking lot at Sydney Flat is open and you can walk the extra distance to the trailhead from there. A nice introduction to the Black Diamond Mines Regional Presserve. 5,717 acre preserve with coal mines, historic cemetery and Bay Views. Take the Canyon trail to connect to the Black Diamond Trail Temperatures in the summer can be extreme. The 5,717 acre preserve contains 3 historic coal mining sites, a historic cemetery and approximately 50 scenic trails. Very hilly terrain offers spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay Area. Dog allowed on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park

This hike was done early March and its beautiful out here. Green grass Covington the hills and scattered wild flowers here and there. The dirt has already dried out and cracked so I got my poles caught a handful of times. I hiked the loop Clockwise and there are some good hills on this trail. the final hill on the way back was a deep mule trail for lack of a better name. great views this time of the year.

Well, for some reason I found the Corcoran segment of this trail HARD. Maybe the heat. It was 100 this morning, or just a rough day but overall a great hike - loved walking down Miner’s trail into the broad valley and many bird sitings in the morning - my favorite being the unexpected great blue herons near one of the ponds! I do recommend this hike for the FIT - I thought I was until that strait up stretch of trail

Too hot and no shade. Loved the views tho, and seeing coyotes, birds.

Good mix of up and down segments, but nearly 100% exposed. Do it early and bring lots of water.

Mon May 27 2019

Relatively hard for hiking with kids (6 and 4), but they did it! The miner trail ascend is strenuous. A few scary moments hiking along the cow herd.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Fun hike with a little bit of everything. Cows on trail. Prospect tunnel is a fun detour.

Sun Apr 21 2019

I love this hike! Bring plenty of water and sunblock!

Sun Feb 10 2019

Tue Dec 11 2018

It was a good hike except for the fact that I saw THREE coyotes throughout the four miles. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure whether they were all coyotes. Two of them could’ve been grey foxes. Either way, each encounter left me feeling uneasy. The first one I encountered was small and it quickly ran away when it saw my dog and I. The second one (about a mile later) stood its ground and did not move even after I made loud noises to try to scare it off. Then as we were finishing up Miners Trail , I heard what sounded like a barking dog. As I looked around to see if there was a lost dog around I realized it was yet another coyote! I will come with larger group next time and better educate myself on what to do if I spot other wild animals on the trails.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Great hike. Definitely moderate if you’re just doing Miners Trail. If you add in the Corcoran Trail the difficulty and work out goes up.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Loved this trail, very clean. Lots of beautiful scenery and very interesting hike! Would not come here on a hot day, not a lot of shade.

Tue Mar 27 2018

Day one backpacking. Great place!

Fri Feb 23 2018

Pretty good hike. Lots of views. Antioch looks like a decent town from up there.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Always a good place to get out and stretch your legs

Mon Feb 05 2018

There is a kiosk at the entrance to the park which will collect $5/car to enter the park if the kiosk is staffed. When I went on a Saturday in January at 10:30 a.m. though, there was no one at the kiosk so we did not have to pay the entrance free. I would recommend that you expect to pay $5/car in case the kiosk is open when you come though. Note: The trailhead is not the first parking lot that you see after the kiosk. Drive father down the road into the park to find the trailhead parking lot. This trail will feel moderate for moderately experienced hikers and will feel difficult for inexperienced hikers or folks who are out of shape. This park reminds me of Briones Regional Park with rolling hills, city views, and lots of cows grazing in the park. Except I saw about twice as many cows here as I did in Briones Regional Park. Definitely watch your feet for cow feces because it’s pretty much everywhere. I also couldn’t really find a good place to break for lunch midway through the hike, so settled for a scratchy patch of grass in semi-shade in between piles of cow feces. There is a steep ascent on part of this trail that will freak out inexperienced hikers and make them rethink coming. If you bring a group of people with a mix of hiking experience, this is where you will see the most difference in people’s fitness levels and most likely people will not be able to hike at the same pace as at flatter parts of the trail. This hike is ideal to do during cold and cloudy weather since there is full sun exposure pretty much the entire trail. Make sure you bring sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses even when going during winter. Also bring plenty of water since the sun will wear you out. I’m glad I experienced this park, but don’t see myself coming back soon.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Great hike, very pretty, everything was very green. The kids thought they were dying (19,16,11,9) but had a great time.

Tue Jan 16 2018

I love this trail, and all the trails here at Black Diamond. awesome views, easily attained. my dog loves it too!

Sun Jan 14 2018

beautiful trails out there, kids liked all the different mines and sights. lower trails are fairly muddy after the rain, but once you get up the hill a bit it is rockier and less muddy.

Sun Jun 11 2017

So much fun the family and I did 5.76 miles went all around the park so much to see and definitely will come back love this place

Fri May 19 2017

It was really fun and historical! There's so much to do! It was a really clean park. There are numerous slopes but nothing to hard.

Tue Apr 25 2017

I'm really not a hiker I'm usually riding trails, but I'm gonna try hiking here... I'll repost once I try it.

Wed Feb 15 2017

Black diamond is the only good thing about antioch

Mon Nov 28 2016

We hiked during Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The weather was perfect. After the rain all hills were green. The trails were damp but not muddy. The views were gorgeous. The hike was a mildly challenging and fun, it had two significant hills for a total ascent of 1800 feet along 7 miles. We hiked on the Chaparral Trail up to the Ridge Trail and then came down to the Stewartville Town site. We returned up the steep on the single track Miner's Trail that follows along a hill ridge back to the Ridge trail.

Sun Oct 09 2016

Very little shade. You will be out in the sun for most of it. The cave is not a part of the highlighted trail. Make sure you take the detour to go see it. A good portion of the trail is walking along dirt roads. There is a lot of inclines but they lead to beautiful views of the rolling hills and parts of the surrounding city. Worth checking out. Bring extra water.

Thu Sep 15 2016

Good winter and spring trail especially if you like to hike with your dogs. You might even see a coyote or two. Some nice climbs for a decent. The great thing about the area is it also hooks up with the Mt Diablo trail system which in turn hooks up with a couple of more so you can hike any mileage you want in the area.

Mon Aug 29 2016

I really liked this trail. I would suggest starting out the trail going to the left. Once you get to the miners trail it was super steep and challenging. Easiest way is to make sure you have room if hiking with others and run or dart up these parts...forward momentum really worked for me. All of the other parts are at a steady incline up. Make sure to take water with you even though it is a short trail it was pretty hot out there and wear sunscreen. Even though I had some on I still got slightly sun burnt. Was really fun and will be doing this trail again.

Sun May 08 2016

Corcoran trail is almost vertical at some points and the trails are a little overgrown right now. not sure why but the flies were ridiculous, they were everywhere.