For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Miner's Ridge and James Irvine Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(365)
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Miner's Ridge and James Irvine Trail Loop is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Length 11.2 mi Elevation gain 1,482 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Beautiful loop from Prairie Creek Visitor Center down to the beach along a ridge, then about a mile along the beach before heading back through Fern Canyon and up a couple of small river valleys and a saddle. From the visitor center follow the James Irvine trail for about 3/4 mile until the Miner's Ridge trail. It begins quite straight and level, alongside a small stream and through a relatively sunny valley with no large redwoods at first, not until a mile or so when it turns up a side canyon and starts to climb the hillside. Then the trees grow large, the sunlight decreases and the surroundings take on a more mysterious aspect - this is a particularly dense, Tolkienesque part of the forest. The path winds around side canyons and up some steep slopes then after about 2 miles leaves the valley and crosses a more open area, later descending into another valley and finally meeting the scenic parkway. The scenery is monotonous in some ways but always impressive. You can walk along the beach or take the inland dirt road for about a mile north until you hit the trailhead for Fern Canyon/James Irvine trail.

Directions from Entiat: Travel northwest on County Road 371 (Entiat Valley Road) to County Road 119A. Turn left onto 119A, then left again onto Forest Service Rd #5800. Turn right onto Forest Service Rd 5200 and continue past Sugarloaf Peak to the trailhead (right side of the road).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (365)
Photos (988)
Recordings (242)
Completed (659)
Song Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

This trail has everything from redwood forest to fern canyon to beach! Definitely must do but plan on spending the whole day there.

Marco Sulin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Marco's Recording
Virginia Hamlin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

I did it! Woohoo! Wear shoes with good ankle support. I wore hiking sandals so I'd be able to walk through the water in Fern Canyon, but I should have just attached them to my pack to change in to. So other than sore ankles, it was a beautiful hike. The hardest part for me was the beginning of James Irvine and Miners Ridge. Lots of uphill. After that, some ups and downs. Just don't trip over all of the roots. At the end of Miners Ridge, I stayed on Davison Rd (least favorite part of hike). Walked through Fern Canyon, then picked up James Irvine trail after (up the stairs).

Bradley User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingBugs
View Bradley's Recording
Mitchell R.
Hiking

Stunning hike with amazing views of the tree and a nice stint on a beach. Definitely a must do!

Caitlin Kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

I absolutely loved this trail. I started down Miner’s ridge. This trail was lined with mythical redwoods and ferns. I saw a few banana slugs on the trail. Imo, miners ridge wasn’t too difficult. Some incline changes, but I’m a fairly novice hiker still and it didn’t kill me. When I reached the end of miners ridge, I hiked down the road (I believe Davison road) to the beach/fern canyon parking lot. Then, I went down to the shore, ate lunch, and watched the waves for a while. I personally loved this beach, but it’s not everybody’s type of beach, if that makes sense. It was cloudy, chilly, and the waves were huge and unsafe for actually entering. Then, I headed back up for Fern Canyon. Fern Canyon was something like I’ve never experienced. Honestly, it felt spiritual. I touched the walls and it was just this amazing sense of euphoria. This area was significantly more crowded than the rest of the trails. Unfortunately, some of the people who were only visiting this area were quite disrespectful. I watched a young boy jump up and down on one of the weak bridges and break it. His parents did nothing. Some of the other visitors were acting similarly. Fern Canyon was very wet, there’s little bridges covering most of it (as long as more visitors don’t destroy them). I wore my crocs and walked through the creeks. They were only a few inches deep and the water felt amazing. You can enter James Irvine in Fern Canyon. You hike uphill for quite some time and eventually hike on the top edge of the canyon. That again, was amazing. This trail is covered in cute bridges. My favorite one was over a creek about 30-50 feet, with two stairs. We took a break here and took in the nature. I found coming back up James Irvine much more difficult, while other reviews claim Miners Ridge is more difficult. I’ve come to the conclusion whichever trail ends up being mostly uphill after you’ve already hiked five miles is the more difficult trail lol. The whole thing took about 7 hours, but this was after about an hour on the beach and many breaks in the trails. I absolutely recommend it, unless you’re afraid of heights lol. Bonus points, driving in off of 101 we got stopped in traffic because a very large group of elks, probably 20-25, were crossing the road. What an experience

Jen Kilgo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

DO THIS HIKE seriously one of my all time faves. Straight up spiritual. especially if you do Miners Ridge first, walk the beach north, then tuck into Fern Canyon before heading up through James Irvine (clockwise loop). Note: if you do this, be mindful of not overshooting Fern Canyon, it can be hard to see the trail from the beach, especially if it’s foggy. . Just look for lots of people lingering on the beach as you head north - that will be your turn (Fern Canyon is full of people between 11 am and 3ish and they wander out to the beach). If it’s earlier in the morning or late in the day, then just track your mileage (it’s about a mile from Miners to Fern Canyon) and keep an eye on the bluffs for the turn in. FYI: there may be an occasional hidden dude smoking weed in the tree hollows As a solo female hiker, it was definitely creepy to be hiking peacefully alone for hours and then suddenly smell weed in the middle of nowhere - before I could locate where it was coming from. Eventually I saw a guy hiding down in a tree hollow getting high, ultimately he was no danger, but I was definitely on alert and unnerved by it (unnerved by his creepy hiding more than the pot!) I passed peacefully and was happy to get back to the weed-free smells of nature and the gorgeous trail. The section through James Irvine was nothing short of a powerful spiritual experience. Feels like ancestral spirits, magic, and Mother Earth are gently and powerfully present with you. I was in awe. Do this hike.

Alex Sarkissian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Wow - what a hike. Top 5 all time I think. Unbelievable first stretch (did Miners first ie clockwise) through the redwoods, not another soul around. Walked along the beach before the back half of the loop which was cool/eerie with fog cover. Fern valley was crowded with day parkers and very few wearing masks...but the majority of James Irvine was relatively quiet. Beautiful hike. Do it.

Marty Pollak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Gorgeous trail with varied scenery. Closer to 14 miles but highly recommend!!!

View Marty's Recording
Beck Lee Untalasco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Forest, beach, canyon of ferns, more forest. Seriously, what more could you ask for? This is an amazing trail. Long but amazing. I added an additional 1.5 miles because I started at the Elk Prairie Campground. I also did the hike counter clockwise so Fern Canyon was on the backend of the hike. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. However, there is little to no reception so download the map before you start. I encountered very few people to and from Fern Canyon BUT once you get to get there be prepared for a lot of people. I would do this hike again in a heartbeat. There are numerous trails that off shoot from James Irvine so there is plenty to explore!

View Beck Lee's Recording
Steve Friedman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
Hiking

Amazing three hikes in one. Crazy great red woods. Beach hike. And Fern Canyon. A top top bike for sure. Do it.

View Steve's Recording
Blake Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Amazingly beautiful hike through redwoods and even a mile on the beach. Our GPS was off for maybe 1.5 miles or so and we still tracked 13 miles. It was worth the extra distance and my only complaint is the crowds around Fern Canyon.

View Blake's Recording
Taylor Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
HikingBugs

perfection!!! iconic! amazing! this was my boyfriend’s and my first time hiking the redwoods and i’m so glad we chose this loop. we hesitated because of its popularity but even in early july we were nearly entirely alone til we got closer to fern canyon. miner’s ridge is definitely the more strenuous trail so i’d recommend doing that one first and then coming back on james irvine to chill out (we did the opposite and our legs were absolute jello by the time we were finishing up miner’s ridge). we were shaded the entire time. overall the trails were really well maintained and most importantly so so breathtaking. can’t recommend enough :)

Max Fortune
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Wide range of scenery. Took Davidson Road south instead of the beach.

Pedro Aguirre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

Stunningly beautiful hike. If you're someone who loves trees, this hike will fill your heart. I would go as far as to call the James Irving section spiritual.

Rafael S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
Hiking

Stunning hike with a little bit of everything.

Levi Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2020
Hiking

This is hands down the best hike I have ever done in my life. I would do it multiple times.

View Levi 's Recording
Jason Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2020
Hiking

A true world class hike! Some of the best scenery I have ever seen in all the hikes I've done. I did this in late Feb and had a hard time getting through Fern Canyon without getting my feet wet, but I managed by climbing over logs with the help of hiking poles. I would not have been able to do it without poles. I didn't walk along the beach because a lady at the visitor center told me I'd have to cross a waist deep river; I took the road instead. Make no mistake, this is an amazing hike and I'd love to do it again!

Valina Sintal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for running down miner’s ridge, smooth and wide. Coming back up Jame Irvine had more roots so we hiked. The walk along the beach was unmarked but obvious to follow with this app. Beautiful scenery all the way!

Rasmus Pil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 23, 2020

Absolutely beautiful hike. We started off at 9 AM in the misty rain. The trees make you feel very small in the word, then we walked clockwise and came to the beach, but the highlight was the Fern Canyon - incredible. We ended the hike around 3PM.

Mark Ashley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 14, 2019
HikingBridge out

We loved this trail! This trail is on the easy side of moderate, and we really didn't feel the elevation gain. It took us all day, because we hiked slow to enjoy the scenery. The footbridge in Fern Canyon has been removed, but we were able to walk down the canyon in good hiking boots without getting our feet wet. We couldn't walk to the beach however, because the trail were flooded. We saw some elk in Elk Meadow, when we returned to our car.

Carlos A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 14, 2019
Hiking

Had so much fun hiking here. Be prepared to hike for at least 6 hours. Fern Canyon is stunning, worth exploring. Deer everywhere. Saw many type of mushrooms. Beautiful rainforest with the ground feeling so cushiony

View Carlos's Recording
Manon G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2019
Hiking

Very nice trail through the Redwood forest. We hiked here on a Sunday and did the Miner’s Ridge trail first. That was a good choice because we only saw 10 other hikers or so untill we reached the beach. The beach part is pretty heavy in the sand but definitely worth it. We saw some seals in the ocean and lots of birds. The James Irvine trail was much more trafficked but that could also be due to the time (early afternoon). I found the first mile of the Miner’s Ridge trail the most beautiful, after that it’s mostly “more of the same”.

Mayur Pujari
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

Exceptional trail between Redwoods.

View Mayur's Recording
Neil Steinberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2019
Hiking

Probably one of the most beautiful hikes you will ever take. First the marvelous redwoods, then the Jurassic-like fern canyon, the expansive beach where we saw seals, two dolphins and pelicans. This is an amazing hike. Only passed 9 small groups in 22 km. We took the longer beach route, where you can stop for lunch. Lots of elk along the way.

Candice Zaleski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2019
Hiking

Lots of variety! Trees, ferns and beach. What’s not to love! Definitely would recommend it. Not difficult for anyone in reasonable shape. Did it in just under 4.5 hrs.

martin Benoit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

Hiked down and back up with my son on 8-16-2019. The path is in excellent condition for a long moderate hike in the beautiful redwood forest. The fern canyon loop at the bottom is breathtaking. Bring plenty of water and electrolyte drinks and healthy snacks. We took 6h at a normal pace interrupted with stops to enjoy the beautiful nature and added a 15 minute rest in fern canyon.

Ciera Sitton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trails. Make sure if you walk down the beach you don't miss the camp or the day area if you get distracted by sealions! Fern canyon also has a day use area and lots of families come so expect that area to be crowded.

David Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019

Did this trail starting at James Irvine and taking the Miner's Ridge back. Really gorgeous setting this forest looked diffrent than most other mountain forest I have been too. It looked like those unique plants could only grow in that climate near the coast. Fern Canyon was abit more of the same and both trails had similar plant environment but the Miner's Ridge trail is harder. The James Irvine trail is much flatter making it an easier trail.

Evan McConnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2019
Hiking

Immaculate trail through a giant redwood forest. A great moderate day hike.