Learn more

Miner's Ridge and James Irvine Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(326)
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

Miner's Ridge and James Irvine Trail Loop is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Length 11.2 mi Elevation gain 1,482 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Beautiful loop from Prairie Creek Visitor Center down to the beach along a ridge, then about a mile along the beach before heading back through Fern Canyon and up a couple of small river valleys and a saddle. From the visitor center follow the James Irvine trail for about 3/4 mile until the Miner's Ridge trail. It begins quite straight and level, alongside a small stream and through a relatively sunny valley with no large redwoods at first, not until a mile or so when it turns up a side canyon and starts to climb the hillside. Then the trees grow large, the sunlight decreases and the surroundings take on a more mysterious aspect - this is a particularly dense, Tolkienesque part of the forest. The path winds around side canyons and up some steep slopes then after about 2 miles leaves the valley and crosses a more open area, later descending into another valley and finally meeting the scenic parkway. The scenery is monotonous in some ways but always impressive. You can walk along the beach or take the inland dirt road for about a mile north until you hit the trailhead for Fern Canyon/James Irvine trail.

Directions from Entiat: Travel northwest on County Road 371 (Entiat Valley Road) to County Road 119A. Turn left onto 119A, then left again onto Forest Service Rd #5800. Turn right onto Forest Service Rd 5200 and continue past Sugarloaf Peak to the trailhead (right side of the road).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (326)
Photos (894)
Recordings (212)
Completed (607)
Steve Friedman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

Amazing three hikes in one. Crazy great red woods. Beach hike. And Fern Canyon. A top top bike for sure. Do it.

View Steve's Recording
Blake Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

Amazingly beautiful hike through redwoods and even a mile on the beach. Our GPS was off for maybe 1.5 miles or so and we still tracked 13 miles. It was worth the extra distance and my only complaint is the crowds around Fern Canyon.

View Blake's Recording
Taylor Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingBugs

perfection!!! iconic! amazing! this was my boyfriend’s and my first time hiking the redwoods and i’m so glad we chose this loop. we hesitated because of its popularity but even in early july we were nearly entirely alone til we got closer to fern canyon. miner’s ridge is definitely the more strenuous trail so i’d recommend doing that one first and then coming back on james irvine to chill out (we did the opposite and our legs were absolute jello by the time we were finishing up miner’s ridge). we were shaded the entire time. overall the trails were really well maintained and most importantly so so breathtaking. can’t recommend enough :)

Max Fortune
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Wide range of scenery. Took Davidson Road south instead of the beach.

Pedro Aguirre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

Stunningly beautiful hike. If you're someone who loves trees, this hike will fill your heart. I would go as far as to call the James Irving section spiritual.

Rafael S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
Hiking

Stunning hike with a little bit of everything.

Levi Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 22 2020
Hiking

This is hands down the best hike I have ever done in my life. I would do it multiple times.

View Levi 's Recording
Jason Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020
Hiking

A true world class hike! Some of the best scenery I have ever seen in all the hikes I've done. I did this in late Feb and had a hard time getting through Fern Canyon without getting my feet wet, but I managed by climbing over logs with the help of hiking poles. I would not have been able to do it without poles. I didn't walk along the beach because a lady at the visitor center told me I'd have to cross a waist deep river; I took the road instead. Make no mistake, this is an amazing hike and I'd love to do it again!

Valina Sintal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 22 2020
Hiking

Great trail for running down miner’s ridge, smooth and wide. Coming back up Jame Irvine had more roots so we hiked. The walk along the beach was unmarked but obvious to follow with this app. Beautiful scenery all the way!

Rasmus Pil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 23 2020

Absolutely beautiful hike. We started off at 9 AM in the misty rain. The trees make you feel very small in the word, then we walked clockwise and came to the beach, but the highlight was the Fern Canyon - incredible. We ended the hike around 3PM.

Mark Ashley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 14 2019
HikingBridge out

We loved this trail! This trail is on the easy side of moderate, and we really didn't feel the elevation gain. It took us all day, because we hiked slow to enjoy the scenery. The footbridge in Fern Canyon has been removed, but we were able to walk down the canyon in good hiking boots without getting our feet wet. We couldn't walk to the beach however, because the trail were flooded. We saw some elk in Elk Meadow, when we returned to our car.

Carlos A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 14 2019
Hiking

Had so much fun hiking here. Be prepared to hike for at least 6 hours. Fern Canyon is stunning, worth exploring. Deer everywhere. Saw many type of mushrooms. Beautiful rainforest with the ground feeling so cushiony

View Carlos's Recording
Manon G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 11 2019
Hiking

Very nice trail through the Redwood forest. We hiked here on a Sunday and did the Miner’s Ridge trail first. That was a good choice because we only saw 10 other hikers or so untill we reached the beach. The beach part is pretty heavy in the sand but definitely worth it. We saw some seals in the ocean and lots of birds. The James Irvine trail was much more trafficked but that could also be due to the time (early afternoon). I found the first mile of the Miner’s Ridge trail the most beautiful, after that it’s mostly “more of the same”.

Mayur Pujari
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

Exceptional trail between Redwoods.

View Mayur's Recording
Neil Steinberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 30 2019
Hiking

Probably one of the most beautiful hikes you will ever take. First the marvelous redwoods, then the Jurassic-like fern canyon, the expansive beach where we saw seals, two dolphins and pelicans. This is an amazing hike. Only passed 9 small groups in 22 km. We took the longer beach route, where you can stop for lunch. Lots of elk along the way.

Candice Zaleski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 18 2019
Hiking

Lots of variety! Trees, ferns and beach. What’s not to love! Definitely would recommend it. Not difficult for anyone in reasonable shape. Did it in just under 4.5 hrs.

martin Benoit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 17 2019
Hiking

Hiked down and back up with my son on 8-16-2019. The path is in excellent condition for a long moderate hike in the beautiful redwood forest. The fern canyon loop at the bottom is breathtaking. Bring plenty of water and electrolyte drinks and healthy snacks. We took 6h at a normal pace interrupted with stops to enjoy the beautiful nature and added a 15 minute rest in fern canyon.

Ciera Sitton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 04 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trails. Make sure if you walk down the beach you don't miss the camp or the day area if you get distracted by sealions! Fern canyon also has a day use area and lots of families come so expect that area to be crowded.

David Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 21 2019

Did this trail starting at James Irvine and taking the Miner's Ridge back. Really gorgeous setting this forest looked diffrent than most other mountain forest I have been too. It looked like those unique plants could only grow in that climate near the coast. Fern Canyon was abit more of the same and both trails had similar plant environment but the Miner's Ridge trail is harder. The James Irvine trail is much flatter making it an easier trail.

Evan McConnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 14 2019
Hiking

Immaculate trail through a giant redwood forest. A great moderate day hike.

Josh Hulstein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 09 2019
Hiking

Incredibly monotonous, once the awe wears off, this trail is indescribably Boring. The only place the scenery changes is at and near the beach (fern canyon). The beach to trail connection is marked by a driftwood tepee to the north and the hidden campground to the south, but you can look for the creek canyons too. We would not do it again.

Spencer Capps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 04 2019
Hiking

Started off on Miner’s Ridge which required a bit more energy and unfortunately didn’t have many great views. I would give it 4 stars individually. James Irvine, on the other hand, I couldn’t get enough of on the return trip after seeing Fern Canyon. The numerous great views and well routed trail easily make it 5 stars!

Derec Filkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 17 2019
Hiking

What can I say except amazing. Such a great hike with beauty everywhere. Definitely a must see.

Emily Carvalho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 01 2019
Hiking

Not too steep but beautiful and my favorite part was the fern grove. Felt like an adventure

View Emily's Recording
Thomas Waggoner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 31 2019
Hiking

Beautiful route to take, relatively easy.

Mit Bour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 27 2019
Hiking

Nice shaded well marked Miner’s trail that travels through redwoods to the beach. It was raining by the time we got to the beach, so we pushed through that portion quickly. It is difficult to determine where to cut into the wood from the beach, so if you are doing the trail CW cut back towards the wood line after 3/4 mile to look for the trail. Fern canyon was beautiful but very busy. Your feet may get wet with all the river crossings. We had our trekking poles which helped us to keep balance, but water shoes would have helped speed up the process. I turned off my recording for the beach portion, but I believe the hike was around 14.1 miles not 11 that AllTrails stated.

View Mit's Recording
Toni Muller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 12 2019

Beautiful hike, though we went the opposite direction around the loop. Don't do what we did and overshoot the trailhead leading off the beach back inland. We had been assured we would see the campground/trailers where the trailhead was, but I love to walk in the water along the water line and we couldn't see it from that low. Added an extra 1.5 miles to our hike. Thankfully my son had a better sense of time and distance and insisted we get back to the road to see where we were. Otherwise, we might have ended up in San Francisco!

S Y
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 09 2019
Hiking

Great day hike, interesting terrain but nothing difficult. Long enough that we wanted a rest day afterwards. Took us slightly longer than our usual pace because we spent extra time in fern canyon and took a break at the rest area near the fern canyon parking lot/trailhead. There is no drinking water at fern canyon but there is a faucet at the campground a mile south of there. We walked down the road instead of the beach as others have mentioned; we went at a fairly dry time and there were a few small creek crossings, but aside from fern canyon (for which we brought water shoes) we managed to keep our feet dry.

Eileen R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 27 2019
Hiking

Clear trail, overall easy hike for experienced hikers.

View Eileen's Recording
Mayra Blass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 26 2019
Hiking

One of the most beautiful trails I've done! Long hike, but not difficult and so beautiful you don't even feel it. We hiked this on a misty type of day and it was perfect!