Mineral Wells

Mineral Wells is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'm not a fan of fire road "trails," but at least there was room for my friend and me to walk side by side. This Mineral Wells trail is the closest to the one we actually did. We started at Fern Canyon, then turned west at 5 Points to Vista Viewpoint. We followed the road around Bee Rock, then took a side trail through the Old Zoo and back to the parking lot. No coverage, so it was hot--keep that in mind. I gave five stars, because it was a good workout, nice views and I love Griffith Park. Next time, I'll record.

Easy hike. Most of the elevation gain is at the beginning of the trail. I didn’t like how halfway through the trail turned into asphalt. I had to constantly be on the lookout for mountain bikers.

Instead of going down after Vista Viewpoint I took the trail up to Glendale Peak, Taco Peak and Mount Baby Bell. If you can tough out the climb I highly recommend it. Walking the ridge line you can stare at Griffith Observatory on one side of the mountain and Glendale on the other. A great view of all the other trails and the Hollywood sign. For this part I’d recommend some hiking poles.

Moderately trafficked and quite a few dogs.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014