Minaret Lake is a 13.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Mary, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dont miss. gets hairy early and late season, but amazing... going back... maybe tomorrow

I wanted to write a review to explain a few things about the hike to Minaret Lakes.

My buddy and I are in our early 50s. We're both sporting pot bellies but still in good shape. So, no, we're not 20 years old. The important thing to remember is that we live close to sea level in Southern California.

We made it to Mineret Lakes, but we certainly struggled. The main issue is that we overpacked for this trip. My pack was around 50 lbs. Originally, we were talking about staying for days. The plans changed after we arrived. The ranger station is 7560 feet and Minaret Lakes is 9800 feet in elevation. The major issue we had was that we weren't aclimated to the elevation. The last two miles of the hike has a lot of switchbacks. The last mile in particular had no shade so you're exposed to the sun. And, in our case, we suffered due to the high altitudes. I found that the air was very arid and I needed water fairly often.

So, we had the perfect trifecta of bad. We were not used to the high altittudes, we carried too much weight, and we weren't really in shape fthe way we needed to be for this trip. There was also a fire close by that ate into our oxgyn supply. We strugled but we did it! And to be fair, we did run into a guy who was 80 years old who was on the trail, but he had help carrying his gear.

What I learned from this trip would be to keep my backpack without water at around 20 pounds. You have to have a bear can, you can find light ones. I wouldn't even bring a stove if I were to do this again, and just rely on cold foods. We got on the trail at 9:00AM. i would start at 8:00AM. I didn't have poles, they certainly do help.

If you plan to spend a couple of days fishing then perhaps you should extend your stay. I found that this is a good overnight trip. Beause of this you can pack lighter. You also have to keep in mind that there isn't a lot of shade at Minerte Lakes. So, if you plan on staying a day it very well may be in broad sunlight.

If i were to fish the lakes I woiuld leave by 8:00AM and arrive before 3 and spend a few hours fishing. Wake up the next morning, take pictures (it's breathtaking first thing in the morning) fish for a few more hours and head back home. The fish are swelling at first light.

Mineret Lakes is stunnning. It's a gerat place for fishing, and photography. The trail up is wonderful as well. Plan on having lunch at Mineret Falls. This is reated as intermediate, which seems accurate. However, from the Devils Post Pile ranger station to the lakes the rangers tell me that it's 8 miles.

Overall, this is a great hike. I learned a lot about what not to do from t his hike and despite struggling I did love this hike! There are rental showers within close driving distance. We managed to hike down the mountain, used the bathrooms, showered, went out to dinner in Bishop and slept our own beds before midnight (O.C. area) all within the same day. We did this entire trip over a three day weekend. We also showed up at the ranger station on Friday and got our free passes instead of applying online. After Labor Day, it's easier to get the passes.

One of the most rewarding views ever!

Monday, November 06, 2017

One of the prettiest Alpine Lakes I've seen on the west coast. I went during the height of summer and expected a lot of traffic on the trail, because the town was packed however it was quiet and peaceful. I would recommend once getting near the lake to hike to a view point above the lake and take in a 360 view of the surrounding area. 6 hrs or so would be enough time for most people to hike and spend time by the lake swimming etc.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Beautiful hike, back country camped right by the minaret lakes, no one around , the scenery and the gorgeous Minarets make this hike one of my favorites, it's better to camp and enjoy the shining moon on the lake, watch for mosquitoes they were way too aggressive throughout the whole hike !

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Great hike but didn't quite make it to Minaret Lake. Probably spent to much time enjoying the meadows, creeks etc and didn't leave enough time to make it to the lake. It's the journey not the destination that counts and it was a great journey.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

This was a spectacular trail and we LOVED camping on the peninsula. Bring lots of bug spray and nets.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Spectacular and majestic.

Monday, September 09, 2013

Amazing views and a great place to get away. went last summer. The hike over to Iceberg Lake is rather difficult but enjoyed touching snow in August!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

A hidden gem, one of the prettiest lakes scenery wise with all of the smaller pools creating an amazing place to hike or camp at. We left Reds Meadow on a 9 day hike over to Yosemite. We planned on hiking up and over Minaret to Iceburg and Ediza the next day, but the North facing bowls were still packed with snow even though it was late June. All that aside, the hike wasn't too grueling, but summer time mosquitoes left us looking like pigpen from the peanuts comic, but instead of clouds of dirt, it was blood thirsty skeeds. Other than that, epic trail with a pot of gold in the form of Minaret Lake. Fishing was great as well. Look for the highest triangular point in the range as you head up. That is where you'll end up.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Beautiful little lake in the Mammoth Area, and the ascent parallels a scenic, cascading stream. Once you reach the top, enjoy a slice of solitude in a geological wonderland. Great place to camp, and make sure you get up in time to catch the alpenglow...

Tuesday, July 12, 2016