Blue Oak Trail

Blue Oak Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

This was a very easy hike, and had great views of the lake the entire way. I only ran into one other person the whole trail, and he was just fishing off the side of some rocks. Get here early during the summer, as there isn’t much shade and it gets very hot!
The trail is also very well kept. Most of the trail you can walk two people side by side.

Excellent experience and beautiful scenery.

Wonderful and easy enough for our kids

Great running trail along the lake

It starts off next to the road, which isn’t the most appealing. But don’t fret, after you get going for a little while it is a beautiful hike next to the lake, no cars just nature. There is minimal change in elevation which makes his great for all ages and all hiking ability levels. The trail is super easy to follow. Definitely recommend! Right now in April it is very green and there are tons of beautiful wildflowers.

Single track, easy running trail. Over looks the lake.

BEAUTIFUL with wildflowers in bloom along the whole trail today. Easy enough to do with a 2 1/2 year old walking and a 1yr old in a baby carrier. We went about 1.5 miles in, played by the lake, and then back for a picnic. LOVED it

Overall nice trail. Pretty well maintained, and enjoyable. Oak trees are starting to spring with life, next month should be even nicer!

Enjoying hike

Great spot!

I love this hike! It's pretty mellow for beginners and it's a solid, clear path. Today we hiked all of the way to the marina. I would recommend this hike to everyone!

Great trail.. some spots where you need to walk your bike over rocks. Perfect for starters!!!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

easy hike. narrow one person path. travels along the lake shore which is nice. no loop, so you walk the whole trip and have to take the same route back. lots of fox tails and thorns. saw lots of animlas including a sad dying deer blocking the path. lots of places to walk down to the water or big rocks and rest spots for pictures. $10 to park.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Drive to the end of the pavement so your walk is just along the shoreline. I wish I had done this earlier when it was still green. Still pretty. Did not see any snakes - just bunnies, birds and squirrels. $10 parking is a bummer.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Very nice trail, the lake is gorgeous right now. $10 parking fee so take cash.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great for a short fun workout. watch out for the thorns.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

we got really lucky and witnessed a gorgeous sunset!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

This was definitely a fun trail. I believe I got maybe 3 to 4 into the trail but turned around because of my kid and dog. I started at the beginning where park on and dirt lot. The trail goes parallel with the main road in the park until about 2 miles into it. You will run into a parking with access to the beach. We sat there and ate and hit the trail again and now it's just drop offs as you are going along the trail and you are parallel with the lake. We jumped off the trail onto a more secluded beach area then returned to the car. We were there for 2 in a half hours. When I return I will drive to the halfway point to finish off the trail.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Good trail pretty easy.. went in the am so the weather was good ..

Friday, November 25, 2016

Good for kids at least the first half.

Monday, September 05, 2016

lots to see. good view of the lake. adequate amounts of shade. not good for small kids

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Best in the winter when the Bald Eagles are here and the snakes aren't. Dogs are not allowed on state park trails although I've seen a few.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Great for winter months due to the low elevation. In the spring and summer I prefer higher elevations due to rattle snakes. Great for dogs!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

The trail itself is nice and easy, even for beginning hikers. It starts at the Blue Oak campsite and is clearly marked. The road runs parallel to it until about half way, which is as far as we went. Sadly, once we got to McKenzie Point there were a bunch of rattlesnakes and we decided not to cross them so we turned around. The wildflowers were gorgeous this year and I'm glad we went. But danger of rattlesnakes? No thanks.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Did not see any Bald Eagles alas! However,
the wild flowers are plentiful. Saw Popcorn flower, Lupine, Shooting Star, Fiddleneck, Brodiaea, Baby Blue Eyes and many others.

Monday, February 08, 2016

It was a great location for a run.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

We deviated from the path and followed some cow trails down to the shore. There was no set path, and it was a work out, going up and downhill. Way better the. The set pathway.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

This is a very good beginners trail.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Easy to get to and makes for a perfect beginners mountain bike trail

Monday, March 23, 2015

Easy trail, but nice views of the lake.