Millard Canyon Falls Trail

Millard Canyon Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Note: Users have reported that this trail is currently closed due to fire danger. Note that hikers may need to purchase a parking pass to prevent getting a parking ticket.

Beautiful and shaded hike, generally very easy although there are a few stream crossings. Brought my little nieces (4 & 5) here for their first-ever camp and hike, and they made it without any issue, absolutely loved the waterfall at the end. If you’re going with kids, I’d highly recommend bringing a small towel and extra socks. Adventure Pass required for parking.

The trail starts off zig zagging down the side of the mountain through some nice oak trees with plenty of shade. Once you hit the Millard campground you start to ascend through a narrow slot canyon along a creek. There are several creek crossings that are easy to manage. The waterfall at the end of the trail is beautiful with several ferns growing out of the granite it flows down. Great hike with kids or solo.

Good trail

The trail is open. Easy trail with lots of shade. Rocky and lots of stream crossings. Falls are nice and still had some water in it.

This was a nice trail. I walked/ jogged with my Labrador and she loved it too. My dog enjoyed going in the water, I thought it was a little to cold. Nice shaded walk at 7am. Only thing that I didn’t like was that a couple of people had there dogs without a leash and it was not good for my young dog. From where I parked it was only about a mile round trip. It was a quick and easy walk. I actually went for Dawn Mine trail and decided to do this trail as well. Waterfall was very nice.

This is one of the best hikes I’ve ever been on in LA!! GO!! We parked in the top parking lot and made a left, descending toward the Millard Falls trail that ran along the river. The first part of the hike dropped us in altitude pretty quickly and we were a bit afraid we would have a hard time coming back up at the end of the hike but it was very manageable. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking and the waterfall is the cherry on top. I highly recommend this hike to all nature lovers who want to break a little sweat during their hike.

Quick & easy shaded trail that's 1.3 mi round trip if you don't follow the map on AllTrails and you start at the actual trailhead. Some parts of the trail are not clear but it's not hard to figure out. Lots of bees at the waterfall.

Millard is one of my favorite hikes to do w my toddler in a hiking pack. Nice a short with a great reward at the end. My little guy loves to get out and splash around in the creek and the shallow pool at the falls. Even this late in the season there’s still plenty of water. The falls are more of a sprinkle but still pretty. I did not see any CA Newts at the falls like I have on all my previous visits. Maybe they’re retiring for the season? I went late morning and fortunately there was still parking down by the campground but not at the midway parking area. It was nice a quiet back there and beautiful in the fall.

nice ez trail with waterfall at end

Fun adventure hike!

short and sweet!

Cool little 20 min hike, beautiful waterfall at the end of trail

my husband and I brought out 12 year old with us. it was a nice little hike that ended at the waterfall. The waterfall was small but refreshing. There were also families with small children and they did just fine. For a Saturday morning it wasn't so busy.

Took the kiddos 17, 8, 5, and our puppy...we all loved it! Easy to traverse, and virtually the trail was all ours as there weren’t very many people. We’ll definitely go back!

Great hike for kiddos. It’s short and not too difficult.

This was definitely an interesting hike! I probably would’ve moved a lot faster if not for all the overgrown pathways and constant buzzing of bees. Like many others have warned, BE AWARE OF POISON OAK AND IVY along the foot paths!! Also, when you are almost down to the campground/pavement, you might hear the buzzing of a bees nest. I am allergic, so that freaked me out a bit. However, I didn’t see any bees swarming near trees. The buzzing was just very noticeable. Once you keep hiking past the campground, you’ll notice a lot of rock scrambles and creeks you have to cross. It’s not too bad. The waterfall was a little scarce but still fun to take a dip in. I also saw a small bobcat on my way out. Would definitely be back.

Nice trail with lots of shade and very pretty waterfall at the end. It’s busier than dawn mine, almost all after the campsite, which had a number of campers, which was nice to see. Lots of climbing up and around rocks on the way to the waterfall.

We really enjoyed the hike at Millard Canyon Falls! Shady trail down to the campground and the trail continues to the waterfall fallowing the river. There was a lot of poison ivy and poison oak by our feet and around us where you could easily brush off against them if you are not careful! Thanks for someone mentioning it here, so we paid attention as we hiked :-)

Bring bug spray and be prepared to get your feet wet!