Millard Canyon Falls Trail

Millard Canyon Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Note: Users have reported that this trail is currently closed due to fire danger. Note that hikers may need to purchase a parking pass to prevent getting a parking ticket.

Lovely hike not too busy!

Great way to add on to the short Millard falls trail and make it a more full hike. First half worked great for dog off leash, with charming lush vegetation and a thin trail. New favorite hike in the area

Beautiful trail

Easy hike! Moderate traffic on a Sunday afternoon and great for dogs ands kids

private property

Pretty easy hike, like that the elevation gain is broken up into two sections so you get a little variation. Pretty heavily wooded / shaded, though I was there in the late afternoon and the sun was behind another peak already. Might get a little more sun in the mornings. I'm glad I checked it out but probably won't return here. Not as remote as I like my hikes to be - there are a few houses / buildings along the way, telephone wires, and a camping area you have to walk through. The trail itself is kinda rocky and requires paying attention to your footing. I prefer more clear paths so I can look up and around. A little buggy but not horrible. I'm sure it's worse at different times of the year. ALl of that said, the falls are definitely pretty, and I had them to myself which was definitely really nice compared to some of the other nearby fall trails.

Water level is low right now. Some river crossings. Good hike.

Happy New Year!

Nice beautiful hike. Kid friendly and the waterfall was nice. Short very easy hike.

Beautiful and shaded hike, generally very easy although there are a few stream crossings. Brought my little nieces (4 & 5) here for their first-ever camp and hike, and they made it without any issue, absolutely loved the waterfall at the end. If you’re going with kids, I’d highly recommend bringing a small towel and extra socks. Vault toilets and trash bins available at Millard campground by the trailhead. Adventure Pass required for parking.

The trail starts off zig zagging down the side of the mountain through some nice oak trees with plenty of shade. Once you hit the Millard campground you start to ascend through a narrow slot canyon along a creek. There are several creek crossings that are easy to manage. The waterfall at the end of the trail is beautiful with several ferns growing out of the granite it flows down. Great hike with kids or solo.

Good trail

The trail is open. Easy trail with lots of shade. Rocky and lots of stream crossings. Falls are nice and still had some water in it.

This was a nice trail. I walked/ jogged with my Labrador and she loved it too. My dog enjoyed going in the water, I thought it was a little to cold. Nice shaded walk at 7am. Only thing that I didn’t like was that a couple of people had there dogs without a leash and it was not good for my young dog. From where I parked it was only about a mile round trip. It was a quick and easy walk. I actually went for Dawn Mine trail and decided to do this trail as well. Waterfall was very nice.

This is one of the best hikes I’ve ever been on in LA!! GO!! We parked in the top parking lot and made a left, descending toward the Millard Falls trail that ran along the river. The first part of the hike dropped us in altitude pretty quickly and we were a bit afraid we would have a hard time coming back up at the end of the hike but it was very manageable. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking and the waterfall is the cherry on top. I highly recommend this hike to all nature lovers who want to break a little sweat during their hike.

Quick & easy shaded trail that's 1.3 mi round trip if you don't follow the map on AllTrails and you start at the actual trailhead. Some parts of the trail are not clear but it's not hard to figure out. Lots of bees at the waterfall.

Millard is one of my favorite hikes to do w my toddler in a hiking pack. Nice a short with a great reward at the end. My little guy loves to get out and splash around in the creek and the shallow pool at the falls. Even this late in the season there’s still plenty of water. The falls are more of a sprinkle but still pretty. I did not see any CA Newts at the falls like I have on all my previous visits. Maybe they’re retiring for the season? I went late morning and fortunately there was still parking down by the campground but not at the midway parking area. It was nice a quiet back there and beautiful in the fall.

nice ez trail with waterfall at end

Fun adventure hike!

Millard Canyon Falls Trail is short and sweet!