Millard Canyon Falls Trail

Millard Canyon Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Pasadena, CA: Travel Interstate 210 north, exit Lake Avenue and go north to Loma Alta Drive. Turn west (left) on Loma Alta and drive to the Chaney Trail (flashing yellow light). Follow signs to the campground.

Easy short trail.

Awesome

fun and easy. Only mistake came on a holiday, to many dogs and people.
the falls were lovely.

Great fast and refreshing hike. Yellow desert vegetation up above, but a lush green garden in the canyon where you get to hike. And a great ending.

Highly recommend for any one looking for a quick, rewarding hike.

Really short, accessible and easy.

Such fun and easy trail. Good for dogs or kids

great trail to go on especially for beginners. took our 4 year old daughter she had great time. was a little tricky to find. there is a camp ground at the trail head and a small parking lot. the lot was full when we arrived had to park on top of the hill about .5 miles from trail. even with parking a bit away from the trail it was still worth it.

I love this trail alot! I came up here for one of my first hikes back in the nineties as a young kid! The hike is shady, which is perfect for a hot day. Compared to the nearby Eaton Canyon falls, this is less traveled for some reason, even though it's slightly shorter and easier. The area next to the falls is a wonderful oasis with some rock climbing hooks along the walls of the canyon.

I put together an episode of my vlog on this trail. Check it out here:
I also put together a playlist for anyone to bring on the trail with them :)

Have fun on the trail! Hope to see you out there some time.

Went this past Friday! Such a short & pretty hike. The waterfall wasn't flowing too much but still pretty. Went early and completely avoided any crowds. No trash either!!

Great beginner hike. Took our 4 year old they they were able to easily navigate through the crossing streams.
Short hike that is shaded and goes along a running creek. Once we got to the waterfall is was pretty crowded though. We did however go on Mother’s Day. Lots of families.
Overall great local hike. We are definitely going back and packing some water shoes and extra pants.

Easy hike for all ages, the trail was mostly shaded with several stream crossings. The waterfall is majestic, with a huge rock crowning the top of the falls.

This hike is beautiful and short if you want a quick escape from the city. When the stream is high, there are many crossings that require either jumping or using rocks as steps to get across. When we visited today, the stream was low so crossing was easy. When you get to the falls, there aren’t many places to sit and relax, so we just turned back after taking some pictures. The hike itself was easy once you get into the canyon. It’s the incline walking to and from your car that gets you!

Super fun trail! Great for walking or trail running.

Great for beginners. Enjoyed the waterfall.

Wow, so happy to find this hike. It’s perfect for my 4 year old and what a great payoff! The waterfall is awesome! Obviously better after some rainfall. The trail is easy to begin and gets slightly more difficult. The trail is almost totally tree covered so hiking is shaded all times of day. Good trail for dogs also. Limited parking and it’s posted that you need an adventure pass but I’ve parked there 3 times and never been cited.

Gorgeous trail & waterfall! wasn't expecting to come across a campground, & definitely wouldn't mind staying there for a night.. we did see a young rattle snake on the trail, so keep your eyes peeled

Very buggy this time of year. Was swating bugs out of my face the entire way. Extremely shaded. Expect to pass through many rocks for the last .5 mile to the waterfall. Isn't a waterfall you can soak your feet in. Not many rocks to sit on. It was nice to touch the green moss along the waterfall. Overall not my favorite in LA county.

best part was the serenity along trail..so quiet and peaceful..short easy hike..had to walk over a few logs on the trail overall good trip

Excellent little hike. I little chilly in morning but excellent scenery, a good flowing waterfall today too!

Beautiful after a rainy day! Will definitely come back.

Loved the trail!! Great for small kids and pets. Rest area with bench tables and restroom is available at the beginning of the trail. Recommend bringing your own paper or wipes and restroom not in the best condition (door doesn’t lock).
Took additional trail (Sunset Ridge Trail) on other side with amazing views overlooking Downtown LA. Other trails connect on top of Sunset trail if you have extra time and energy.

One of my favorite easy hikes near LA. There are never too many people, there’s always water and the terrain is shady. It starts at a nice small campground and ends at a pretty waterfall. If you want to continue to dawn mine you can. Love this hike

Easy hike, pretty, lots of water, nicely shaded and good for dogs. You can make the hike harder if you want to.

Beautiful trail mostly shady so it was nice even on an 85°+ California day. It's about a mile each way from the campground. The way in is almost entire uphill, and a bit rockier than I initially thought but not too challenging and lots of fun just watch yourself. Saw plenty of kids and dogs along the way so definitely kid friendly and such.

There was no internet in the woods, so I was not able to record or map where I was going. I went here with my mom and siblings (11 and 12 yrs). People said there are two trials here, one gets you to the very top and one is a shorter path. I had no idea where those are, so I just followed the sign for Millard Falls. It was fun. Easy hiking through the woods. I think it's a great walk/adventure to have with your families:)

Either get here early in the morning or late around noon when people are leaving for lunch because parking spaces are VERY limited. Some people were parking at the "No Parking" areas.

Back and forth from the parking lot to the falls takes about 1:00.

Great hike for families. Short hike that does include a bit of “Adventure”, creek crossings, downed trees, and rock climbing. Definitely recommend that for children under 5 you have an adult to hold hands and narrow and loose rock areas. Took a 3 & 4 year old boys and they crushed it.

The waterfall was small with a small creek at the top, but perfect for chilling and eating lunch. If it’s warm enough, definitely bring a change of close for kids and even some water shoes as it’s pretty rocky.

Parking: make sure to drive to the lower parking lot. It will save you a 1.5 mile walk uphill at the end of the trip.

All in all an easy family hike.

Great, easy little hike. There was a decent amount of water at the falls and in the creek. Not too strenuous. Saw lots of kids and dogs along the way. When we came back, we diverted at the little concrete spillway, crossed it, and then went left up the trail that passes below the cabins. It was an easy hike up a wide, open, sunny path, and from the top, we could see the entirety of DTLA looking all magical and far-away. It was also nice to warm up before going home. We parked at the parking lot at the very base of the hill and got there around 8:30am, so it was pretty chilly from the lot to the falls in January.

Relatively easy going in.. make sure to stop at the first sign at the fork and do a 180... the dirt path with an arrow pointing up is the trail.. it’s ok you are going the right way... awesome views.

Went on a morning hike to the Millard Falls. We parked on the 2nd parking lots towards the campground. It was a very easy hike with minimal stress. There’s a trail but its not a very marked, dirt trail. Its very nice to do a rocky and quick hike with kids to explore and dogs too.
There’s very little water but it’s still worth the hike (35min-1hr - depends how fast/slow you go) because you’re completely surrounded by the mountains.

This is a very easy and peaceful trail. My 8 year old had no problems and we saw a toddler making his way through.