Mill Creek Trail

Mill Creek Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wofford Heights, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

48 minutes ago

This has been our go-to trail for years (from Bakersfield). There are 4 creek crossings within the first 2 miles, and fairly child friendly up to the 2 mile point. After that it gets much harder, but the 3-4 mile mark is when the best views start popping up. This trail has gained a lot of popularity over the years so we try to avoid it on weekends but the groups of people generally disappear after the 2 mile point. In deep summer the creeks are dry and it is HOT so please bring plenty of water. And if you bring dogs (we usually have 3) I recommend just having the pack in their own water to be sure they have plenty themselves without making your pack that much heavier.

I'm a beginning hiker but my son told me the first couple miles of this trail would be easy. I'm so glad I went for it! I walked in a little less than 2 miles and loved every step of it before it got steeper and I decided to turn back. There were a couple of low stream crossings, beautiful views, and we got to see it coyote run across the trail close in front of us with a squirrel in his mouth. I can't wait to go back and challenge myself to go further uphill.

It’s really relaxing and calm hike. I and a friend almost made it to the top. I highly recommend it.

well maintained trail thanks to the "Stuards of the Sierras" volunteering to keep these trails nice and clear for us. thanks guys!

This trail is easy until mile 2.5, from there elevation is gained quicky and without mercy almost all the way to mile 7.5.
I am an experienced hiker/trail runner and I would rate some sections of this as mederate to hard.

After about Mile 6 you are all the way up in the big pretty pine trees with good canopy cover. its much nicer terrain and there was a small spring at mile 7
I even got cell sigal at the very top.

In total i logged 14.45 miles for this out and back and it took me right at 4 hrs to run/ walk

Great trail. Lost my GOPRO if you found it or find it please send me a text. 6619794798. Much appreciated.

Mill Creek Trail
Beautiful trail in the spring! We only went in two miles then back but it was gorgeous and we crossed four creeks. If just heading in a short distance I would call it Easy not Moderate, but I'm guessing it gets steeper. We took a small group and everyone loved it. Trailhead starts out a little steep but thats only like an 1/8 of a mile, then it moves on to rolling hills. Enjoyed the open spaces but my favorite was the wooded areas near the creeks. Looking forward to coming back to do the whole thing!

Very fun as a beginner. Beautiful during the fall

Mill Creek Trail review

I was looking for a trail ride on horseback outside of Bakersfield, something not too far away but fun. I came across the Mill Creek Trail but could not find a lot of information about it for horse riding. My wife and I decided to explore this trail. Here is my review.

First of all, thanks to the Backcountry Horsemen of California Kern River Valley unit for maintaining this trail. They have done an excellent job.

This trail ride is a beautiful ride that is mostly a gradual climb over the long haul. I would classify it as a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 in difficulty. Although the trail is well-maintained there are parts where your horse must step very carefully around rocks and maneuver other obstacles, including crossing the Mill Creek several times. The trail is a multi use trail, shared by hikers, bikers, and horses. Motorized vehicles are not allowed… But we did see one hunter returning down the trail on a small motorcycle. Cattle also roam the area as evidenced by their sleeping areas and droppings.

The trail head begins off of Kern Valley Road. Google maps will take you right to it if you enter “Mill Creek Trail Head” (shows up as Porterville). The drive up the Kern River Canyon with a horse trailer is precarious, so take your time completing the 27 miles up the canyon to Kern Valley Road. Be polite with traffic behind you. I had to pull off several times to let faster moving traffic pass. There is not a lot of parking space at the trail head. The best place to park a trailer is directly in front of the trail head sign. (See photo of parking situation.) I was not able to turn around with my trailer at the trail when we left and had to drive up Kern Valley Road until finding a larger turn out.

Once saddled up, we started the trail. The first switchbacks may be a little steep and on the side of steep hill slopes but don’t worry… Most of the trail is not like this. After you get around the first hill, you will arrive at a gate. The barbed wire gate for horses is to the left of the hikers gate. You will have to get off your horse to open and close it. From then on just follow the trail. The ride is beautiful and very quiet among Scrub Oak trees, granite boulders and at times is completely in the shade of Mill Creek.

My wife and I only rode about 1.5 miles in and then back out which took about 2.5 hours at a leisurely pace. The entire trail continues for approximately 7 miles up to Squirrel Meadow and Breckenridge Road. I can’t imagine doing the entire ride in one day unless your horse is in super mountain shape. As you can see from the photo of the satellite image with the pins on the trail, this trail basically climbs the mountain all the way to the top. I suppose you could trailer in your horses to Squirrel Meadow and ride down the mountain much more easily if you had someone meet you and pick you up.

If you are looking for a beautiful mountain ride close to Bakersfield and have some experience with trail obstacles, this is definitely worthy of your time.

definitely worth the hike. Trail is actually closer to 14.5 out and back. I underestimated the incline past mile marker 3 so wasn't able to reach the summit before I had turn back to make it back down before dark.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Good trail. Gets very hot in summer tho, so early hikes are best

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Really nice hike. Everything was green and there were a lot of wild flowers. The trail is a lot longer than 11 miles. I noticed when checked all trails and I was way past the tracking on the map. It keeps going, but I didn't go all of the way because it was getting late. I ended up doing 14.5 miles round trip.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

I went the Full 7.5 miles to the top and its a Tale of two trails. The vertical gain is brutal the last half and you gain almost 4500 feet in those 7.5 miles With over 650 feet of gain a mile its a great work out and i was training with a 25# pack.
The 1st half of the Trail is pleasant shading at trimes and fun creek crossings, the only bummer was the Cows and that SMELL, kind of ruins things, but better cows than humans and i saw none of those, the last half of the trail there are no cows or sign or smell of cows and you can smell the big trees that are now dominating the trail, the fun part as you get sore and tired is the trail keeps getting better and better with every step and you just have to keep going, and the Meadow at the top is very nice.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Nice hike. I brought my fiancé and our German Shepard puppy. We went 4-1/2 miles up then down. Took about 2 1/2 hrs in and 2 hours out with a couple rest stops.

Monday, April 24, 2017

very nice, liked it. Went in Spring, probably be very hot in the summer time

Monday, April 24, 2017

Really nice trail. Not too many folks on it, but be mindful of the cows!
LOTS of poison oak. Also saw a Gardner snake. Love all the stream crossings.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great Trail to go on. My Lab loves walking on this trail. I took my 5 year old daughter on an overnighter and she did great. I found some beer cans at the first stream crossing. Please make sure to pack your trash out so this trail stays pristine.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

I love this trail, the views from the trail are amazing!

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Fantastic trail close to home. Can be an excellent day hike, or a 1-nighter. I hiked about 6 miles (3 miles out & 3 back). With all the rain this year, and good snow pack up on Breckenridge, the water crossings were not easy little trickles. They were raging. But nothing too major. I took my mutt as I am trying to get her used to hiking. With a dog, the only negative about this trail--for me-- is that cattle guards are something we haven't found a creative & effective solution for.

Monday, February 27, 2017

This was a great, family-friendly trail. The water is high right now. There were some areas that we had to search for the best way to cross the stream. Or you could take the easy, freezing way and walk straight through! Next time, I'm wearing my water sandals. Watch out for the cows! They like to give people the evil eye! I would definitely come back:)

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Creek was completely overrun after rain the previous day which made it look more like a River. Beautiful hike as everything is green from recent rains.. Made it 3.5 miles up before turning back as we got a late start.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great hike, snowy and icy at the top but it's a great hike. Don't underestimate the time make sure you have enough daylight especially during winter. You could follow the trail up to 16 miles to pass Squirrel Meadow. Be prepared.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Beautiful area to hike. Easy to find as well. Just about 35 mins from the entrance of the canyon and a mile up kern canyon road. Great for dogs to run off leash. Lots of cows grazing around. There is a beautiful stream the flows through area as well.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great time with the kids! No water in the stream though.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Love this trail , very dog friendly and easy to follow.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Beautiful well kept trail. Very serene and easy to find. There is a gate but its open. Probably to keep wildlife in. My dog and I heard coyotes close by so it was time to leave but I loved it.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Not too bad of a trail. Not really a lot of shade and no water in the creek. But over all a fun, easy trail.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

All year round this trail seems to stay beautiful. Especially so during the winter-spring months. The wildflowers are so pretty in their coloring. It puts a smile on your face. Easy to get to, easy trail. This one is in my back pocket if I can't travel very far.

Monday, June 20, 2016

What a fun family hike! We saw lots of family's with children. The path is well worn an has just the right amount of upgrades and then leveling off. We passed through 4 running creeks and had lunch at the last one and the water was cold and refreshing. Spring is a good time to go as we saw lots and lots of wild flowers. I would not suggest a summer hike as there is no shade until you reach a creek. I rate the tail as easy to moderate depending how far you hike.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Enjoyed hike. Perfect hike with 3 and 8 year old. didn't make it quit to end but close. Very easy. Pretty greenery and streams. Will definitely go back.

Monday, April 25, 2016

loved it! we even took the kids ages 12 to 5 and they had no problems. we only hiked about a mile in to the creek, definitely going back to do the whole trail