Mill Creek Trail

Mill Creek Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

This half-day hike wanders through an old-growth redwood forest. Mill Creek is a crystal stream bordered by thick forest that provides excellent habitat for coho and Chinook salmon, as well as steelhead and cutthroat trout. From October through December, vine and big-leaf maples display crimson and golden colors, and berries are available for the taking (one gallon per person per day). This trail allows easy access for fishing, photography, and identification of many plants endemic to the redwood forest community.

great looking trail except that about .25 miles onto the hike there is a water crossing with official bridging. there is a series of logs going across the water with one running up at about 45 degree angle to the top of the steep inbankment. The log was wet and looked like a possible slip hazard, especially come down, and I wasn't willing to risk falling in the water with my camera equipment. The creek water level was high and flowing rapidly due to the recent high rainfall. I was told later in the day that during the summer months they put up cable crossings in areas like this, so I guess this gives me a reason to come back.

Great trail I've done a few times but I've always done it with the Hiouchi Trail. One of my favorites in the area...

This is a local favorite. My wife and I take almost every visitor of ours to this trail for its range of benefits. Great trail, can be as long as you want (continues to other great trails...), Mill Creek itself is amazing in its natural beauty and asset as a spawning habitat... Can't go wrong.
We also run it a lot as a training run. Mild grades and very little technical footing.