Middle Ridge Trail

Middle Ridge Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morgan Hill, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Good workout, low crowd with minimal shade

Knocked it out in less than 4 hours with someone that never really hikes. All in all, pretty chill trail.

it was a great workout. beautiful medium size mountains, and lots of best birds to see. February weather was cool, small waterfalls. lots of up and down hills. take plenty of water and food. took about 5-6 hours to finish, on a rush pace.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Beautiful trail

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

It was a GORGEOUS trail. My only complaint was that there were multiple creek crossings that we were not prepared for. Because of El Niño they were fairly deep as well. Other than that the trail was really quiet and peaceful. I would rate it as moderate as some parts can be fairly steep.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Only complaint was that there were multiple creek crossings that we were not prepared for in regards to shoes. Other than that it was BEAUTIFUL and I highly recommend this trail.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hiked about 9 miles in Coe Park yesterday with 4 friends. Started at park HQ and took Monument Trail to Hobbs Rd to Middle Ridge Trail to Fish Trail then added on about 3 miles by looping south around Forest Trail then north via Springs Trail to Corral Trail and back to HQ. Though the skies were heavy to start with, the storm had passed, and we avoided having to put on rain gear. By 2pm the skies were clear and we had sun and a cool breeze, perfect for hiking. Encountered backpacking groups -- pairs of friends, school groups and scouts. The trails took us through a varied landscape from shad,y wooded creeksides to sunny, windswept hillsides studded by iconic stand-alone California oaks.

Friday, April 03, 2015

Stopped to enjoy the bullfrogs and catfish at Frog Lake.

Monday, December 08, 2014

This was an easy hike for me since it was 6.3 miles out and back. the scenery of beautiful yellow colors in the leaves of the trees are awesome. it was raining then stopped so more fresh air.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Coe ain't no joke.

My girlfriend decided she wanted to do this hike on her birthday, and I obliged, being an inexperienced hiker and not knowing what to expect. We entered from the Hunting Hollow entrance, and within the first 15 minutes we were climbing like mountain goats. The trail at this point was straight up-up-up with not a switchback in sight, and after cresting the sixth giant hill, each hill following it elicited laughter from us both. By that time it didn't really matter how many hills the trail threw at us; we'd gotten used to it.

However, it's the way down that can really get you. We elected to return on the Middle Steer Ridge trail, and the straight path down is so steep that it's nearly impossible not to start running downhill unable to stop until the ground flattens out a bit. I felt like a runaway train a few times and thanked my lucky stars that I neither slipped nor rolled an ankle in the process. All told, I'd do it again, but not if it had rained recently (like it had).

The views at the heights are spacious and open with more foresty hiking magic at the lower altitudes. Not for beginners, but excellent for quad strengthening.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

I took the longer blue ridge trail to jackass and back. The views aren't that great in this park but the strenuousness of it is an accomplishment. Jackass trail is really nice as it has been rarely traveled and is only recently grown back.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

There's a saying among backpackers around this area that goes something like this: "you go to the Sierras to train for Coe." Yes what you've heard about Coe is true, this place can be very strenuous to hike. I backpacked in from the Hunting Hollow entrance up to Kelly lake and it was a doozy. If you go during the summer be prepared for heat and pack in your water because, although the map shows many springs along the way, they are notorious for being dry. Another thing that bothered me: tarantulas, they seemed to be everywhere! Magnificent little buggers that ive never seen in real life. But if u hate spiders make sure to keep your tent zipped! The payoff though is worth it. Henry Coe is almost 90,000 acres, the second biggest SP in Cali and solitude is easy to find. In the wilderness zones you can camp anywhere as long as youre not seen from the trail. At night the Milky Way shines brighter than I've ever seen in my life, its really quite amazing. Best season to go is spring because it's much cooler and the wildflowers really start to kick in.

Thursday, April 05, 2012

This was part of a 3-day, 2-night, 27 mile trip to a seemingly little known gem near the Bay Area. Hiking through this park can be very strenuous, it is almost all hills, some of them very steep. Camped at Redfern pond and Coit Lake and did some fishing at both, as well as Kelly lake. Also took a side trip to Pacheco Falls after setting up camp at Coit Lake. One of the good things about this park is that once you are out of the Western Zone, you can pitch a tent anywhere you like, no designated campsites to choose from. And you can find great solitude if you stay out of the Western Zone. I hiked the Middle Steer Ridge portion descending from Wilson Peak at 2,600 feet.

Sunday, July 10, 2016