Middle Fork Road to Icehouse Saddle

Middle Fork Road to Icehouse Saddle is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lytle Creek, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A permit is required to hike. Drivers of 2WD vehicles should be careful on the road leading to the trailhead.

no wilderness permit required..I ck at ranger station before heading up..just the pass for the car..6.5 hrs total

It was a fun hike. Bumpy & rocky road to get to the parking lot. Trucks or Jeep will do fine! Make sure to bring lots of water and food. It is rocky trail to get to the water fall. Don't forget bring bug repellent - lots of bugs and mosquitoes.

Beautiful. Very busy at the saddle. Be sure to have your permits squared away. A ranger was checking everyone at the saddle intersection. Cucamonga Peak is worth your time!

I went out with 4 friends and my lab March 3rd and 4th. There were high winds and winter-like conditions. It provided beautiful scenery but was about 25 degrees at night. this is one of the best hikes with scenic views, a cypress grove, creek beds, a water falls and not too much foot traffic. Check out our video to see the excitement. https://youtu.be/G0eW7OWVWFU

Good all around hike. Could have parked my car a little further up the road to cut down on my hike time. To those of you with little cars and no ground clearance, please be cautious the further you venture up the road. I think most folks can make the parking area after the first white gate. Trucks would do just fine and make the trailhead without trouble. The road to the trailhead is well maintained and easy to follow on foot. You do need a permit once you pass marker 1.73 on the main trail, just be advised. Nice views and a lovely creek. Hardly touched by graffiti or trash. Got a little lost on the low trail by the water. Lots of gnats, so bring bug repellent! Be sure to bring a headlamp as it gets pretty dark pretty fast once the sun falls behind the mountains. Definitely worth the hike to the saddle. I only encountered two groups of people the whole time I was adventuring, so be sure to tell someone that you are up there. Very much a path less traveled by to get to Icehouse Canyon. Loved it and will be doing it again soon. :)

3rd stream crossing campsite was great

Monday, September 19, 2016

I was walking on the rocks and sand, and reached the cliff filled with graffiti and when I noticed little rocks falling. I looked up and saw mountain goat's
on the edge of the cliff and kept going on, too find the waterfall. I made it or we made it our little adventure; my wife and I.

Friday, July 01, 2016

tough hike but worth the climb!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

short hike to a beautiful waterfall

Monday, May 30, 2016

it was a good rocky hike to the water fall.. family loved it ..beautiful

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Such a fun hike, it beautiful to hike up the creek. Waterproof shoes or hiking boots are a must for that. It gets hot not very shaded but along the creek there's plenty of shade to cool down by.

Friday, April 01, 2016

Had a great time out there! It was definitely beautiful! I advise not taking a small car to the trailhead!

Friday, June 19, 2015

One of my favorite places to spend the day outdoors with my lady. From mountains to straight forest in no time flat.

Friday, August 22, 2014

To get to the Lytle Creek trailhead you have to drive on a dirt road for a few miles. It was a bit rough so it was nice having all wheel drive, though it wasn't mandatory. There is a port-o-potty at the trail head. We started at 730am. The falls are off-trail from Lytle Creek at 2.6 miles in. We should have followed a stream joining up with Lytle Creek on the left (or south side) and then taken that up until it dead ends with the falls. But we accidentally passed the stream and then just took a left (south) at an indeterminate point, you walk off-trail until you meet the smaller stream and then follow it up to the falls. The falls were three-tiered. It was very cool, the water level was extremely low. The low water level allowed us to get the falls much easier, if the water level is too high it might be near impossible to follow the stream up to the water falls (you would definitely be hiking in water shoes). At the bottom of the final water fall the pool was quite deep. Two guys were planning to rappel down the falls, unfortunately we didn't get to see them do it. We ate a snack there and left because we were taking the middle fork trail farther to Icehouse Saddle.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I've been there twice and I made it to the three-tier waterfall .I highly recommend it .This is not for the weak minded . Determination and endurance is a must. I only seen a couple of pieces of trash the whole way and I picked them up. It seems that there are constant rock slides, some trails are somewhat destroyed in some parts but you can still see the trail continuing ahead . The first part of The hike is under the hot sun with no shade. After the first mile it is rather pleasant and very beautiful. There is plenty of wildlife out there

Monday, March 18, 2013

Hike we took was about 2.5 or 3 miles to the small cedar grove, then across (the mostly dry) riverbed to the other side of the canyon, then up a side canyon with huge granite walls to the 3-tiered waterfall. The bottom waterfall seems to be perpetually in the shade, but is a nice pool deep enough to swim in. To reach the second tier of the waterfall requires either rapelling in from above or a scramble up a scree slope and around the hill to the falls. There is about a 15-foot section however, of traversing a wall - and a slip will kill you. If you are not comfortable with heights, you will not enjoy this. We saw 2 people the entire day (it was a Sunday). Cons: The trail has a LOT of exposure, very little shade until you near the end.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I would go back and do this again but not during the summer. It was pretty hot out and the ground burnt my dogs feet :(

Other than the heat, it was a nice trip in and back. We took a detour and went down to the water and didn't follow the whole trail cuz I wanted my dog to cool off. Once we found water it was pretty and we even saw a couple little waterfalls. No one was around so it was nice to quiet for just me and my pup!

Friday, May 11, 2012

you left out the triple waterfalls here.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Went to see a bird called the American Dipper, which has been spotted in the area, was a no show. But, we did see a Western Tanger. Little to no cell reception. Longer trails popular with backpackers. High ground Clearence needed to reach reach trail head, road is rutted.

Saturday, July 15, 2017