Middle Fork Kaweah Falls from Hospital Rock

Middle Fork Kaweah Falls from Hospital Rock is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Fir, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from May until November.

1968 feet

We did this May 20 and it was awesome! We started at the middle fork trail head. You get there by going to through the entrance of Buckeye Flat Campground and turn on the dirt road on the left, if you get to the campground you've gone too far. There's a small parking lot where you can leave your car and there were also bear boxes at the trail head. We stayed at the Panther Creek Campsite it was amazing! It was the campsite that was on the edge of the cliff basically, you will see another campsite before you get to this one on your left kind of hidden, but keep going until you reach the cliff where you will see noticeable campsites. At those campsites; if you go off to the left (opposite direction of the cliff) you will find another another campsite where you can fit like 9 people. The trail was not maintained and were basically bush whacking the whole time on the trail up until the Panther Creek campsite but it was totally worth it!!! The views were epic!

I had a beautiful solo hike day yesterday. Since a lot of the trail higher up have a lot of snow right now (and I am a little wary after getting lost in the snow on the Alta Peak trail for a couple hours last year) I decided to opt for this one. I hiked from the trailhead (more info below on how to get there) to Panther Creek/Middle Kaweah Falls. It was cloudy so I wasn't able to see a whole lot, but I did catch a glimpse of the great Western Divide on the way back. The wildflowers and plant life are in full splendor, and I loved witnessing the gushing Panther Creek waterfall. The waterfall, the roaring Mid Kaweah below, and the cool tranquil pools surrounded by Ponderosa Pines and White Alders at the top of the waterfall were a beautiful sight coming from the dry Central Valley where we siphon off rivers into canals and squeeze every drop for ag. So much life flowing everywhere! There was a camping area next to the pools at the top of the fall, which would make a great camp (with places to hang hammocks!). I'll definitely be back with friends, maybe for a backpacking trip when higher areas are too snowy. The trail continues to a redwood meadow and another meadow where I believe the trail intersects with the High Sierra Trail.

Some tips:
- Getting to the trailhead: if the gate is open, you can turn right off of General Highway right across from the parking lot for Hospital Rock, and follow that towards Buckeye Flat campground. After a sharp right turn in the road there is a V where you can continue on the paved road towards the campground (and the Paradise Creek trailhead) or go up a dirt road. Go up the dirt road to the end of the road and you'll find the trailhead. This cuts out about 4 miles of the hike.
- Can my car make it to the trailhead? I made it in my Kia Soul. I have alright clearance and if you're cautious you can make it fine in a sedan. There are a few more severe dips and potholes that you need to watch out for, but slow and steady does the trick.
- Bring sunscreen and lots of water! Guidebooks are right - this would be a scorcher on a hot summer day.
- careful of the Panther Creek crossing - those with unsteady balance or bad hips should use a pole or walking stick to aid their crossing.

and lastly...have fun! This is a fun lil hike.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Moro Rock is a granite dome located just off the Generals Highway near Giant Forest. On any given day visitors may see rock climbers clinging to Moro Rocks cracks and knobs. For the rest of us, theres a 1/3-mile staircase from the parking lot that ascends more than 300 feet to the summit. The reward: spectacular views of the western half of Sequoia National Park and the Great Western Divide.

Thursday, May 25, 2017