Meysan Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lone Pine, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,009 feet Route Type: Out & Back

totally beautiful. my first alpine lake!

Trailhead was a bit difficult to find - starts out with a ~500ish ft descent if you park at the portal which really hurts on the way back. Otherwise very beautiful trail, the lake is 100% worth the grind. Wish I would’ve backpacked instead of day hiked to have more time to explore. I recorded 13 miles round trip.

Great trail, but 90% is uphill, so be prepared for a workout... we camped at grass lake and went to Meysan lake without our gear which I recommend. Glad we did t bring our dog, he would have had a hard time with the rocky summit to the lake. Also got a little altitude sickness, so if you start to feel it just camp and hit the lake early before you hike out... there’s over 1000 ft elevation difference. Got to the mid 30s at night, and no fires so pack accordingly! Overall, beautiful area and hike is worth the effort.

Well-designed Trail looks like it’s maintained only up to around grass lake just follow the trail as it is stated on all trails and you’ll make it it’s not that hard to see the trail it is a use trail. Hiked on Saturday and I saw a lot of people I didn’t expect it after reading some of the reviews. Meysan Lake is beautiful

Great hike. Mostly exposed trail. Bring enough water, as there are no water sources along the trail until grass lake area. Most of the time you are hiking next to but significantly above the creek (with no easy way to get down there) Well marked except last 0.4 mile to Meysan lake. Trail curves to the right and upward of small rock mound to reach the lake. There is a discernible path. Meysan lake is beautiful. Unlike the Whitney trail you may very well encounter complete solitude here. No Whitney permit needed for this hike, but permit is required for overnight use. An under-appreciated escape.

My Garmin Montana 650t with optional topo SD card read 12.23 with 4228. This read more than 9.9 as well. The admin people need to change the listing. Also, there are better lakes with better hikes. But all in all, not bad.

This is the second time I’ve hiked this trail and the second time I didn’t go to Meysan Lake. The first time is because my dog’s pads got pretty tore up so we camped at Grass Lake instead. This time I was without my dog as my goal was to climb Lone Pine Peak. I got to Lone Pine pretty late on Friday so decided to camp at the Whitney Portal campground Friday night to get on the trail early Saturday morning. The hike up to Grass Lake is scenic and not too hard. I set up camp at grass lake and headed up towards Lone Pine Peak. If you wish to climb Lone Pine Peak you’ll want to look for a chute towards the south east from the lake. It’s easy to miss as it doesn’t look much like a trail at all. You can also follow my recording. All in all I love this trail and will eventually hike it just to go to Meysan Lake as it looks beautiful and looked amazing from on top of Lone Pine Peak.

Did not make it to the lake. Maybe next time. Strenuous and steep. You can get lost with the trail as you go closer to the top. My dog got very tired. Found a spot by the creek. Be prepared with mosquitoes. Left at 9am got there around 2pm. I accidentally left my sleeping bag and went back. My first time hiking at night left before dawn around 7 pm. My head light was great. It started to get dark. Made it safe to the parking. Great adventure.

Sun May 19 2019

Tue Nov 20 2018

Excellent day hike. Good elevation gains. Keep right at the first lake to get to Meysan. The trail is a bit hard to follow at times but not too bad.

Tue Sep 18 2018

This trail is a treat: seclusion, scenery, available water, and a good work-out due to elevation gain. It took us four and one-half hours to arrive a Grass Lake, and less than three hours to get back to Whitney Portal. Met a sole hiker on his way down the trail, and one family of four near Grass Lake. As others have stated, you get to hike a trail that is nearly void of other people. Beautiful scenery, too. I posted a few photos. One of my favorite day hikes, and no permit is required (unless you are an overnight visitor). Enjoy...

Wed Aug 22 2018

I still can’t get over how secluded and lucky I felt on this trail after seeing hundreds of people at the Whitney portal store. It felt like the best kept secret in the area. With everybody clamoring to get up with me, I thought for certain this trail would be busy given that it’s within walking distance start from the Whitney portal. Nope. Nobody. Just pristine scenery and my dogs. I chose this trail because I didn’t need a permit and I could bring my dogs. Both of my dogs are exceptionally trail savvy and have done very long hikes and overnight backpacking trips. That being said, I’m glad I brought trail shoes for them because this trail tends to get very sharp. Fortunately there is plenty of water on the route so I didn’t need to pack water for them. Like many people before me said, this is a well marked trail for the first four miles, then tends to get a little bit hard to navigate in the last mile or so. Here are my tips if you are going to make the climb… 1. Make sure to check in with this trail map so that it tracks your location the entire way up. When the trail gets unclear, this map in particularly well save you from getting off course. So much of the trail is very clear, but in some areas it looks like people did their own offshoots which made navigation a little bit confusing. 2. If in the summer months, start at dawn to avoid high temperatures on the ascent. I started at 6:30 AM and started to peel off layers by 9 AM because of the heat. I had the sun at my back on the decent. 3. Watch for the cairns. They truly helped me stay on course. 4. If you have dogs, have them wear boots. They sure hate those boots, but the moment I took off one of my dogs boots for a break, she tore open a pad badly. The rocks at the top are super sharp. 5. I didn’t see another soul. while I enjoyed being secluded, I’m glad that I checked in with people before and after. This is not at all like Whitney. You are alone out there. 6. Keep a close eye out on the map as you get to the very top. The last stretch between the tiny lake before the end of the trail feels like a false finish. The last home requires bouldering. Then you are treated to a crystal clear quiet lake. It’s just beyond the big grassy meadow and small lake. It took me five hours to get to the top, I spent one hour resting at the top and it took me four hours to get down, with a total of 10 hours. I consider myself extremely fit, and was definitely challenged in the last mile and a half. Just keep going! It is worth it.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Perfect introduction to the Whitney Zone area for me. I have extensively backpacked north of Whitney and have purposely stayed away from this area due to popularity. This trail, however, is most definitely a path less traveled and we barely saw anyone, making it a lovely weekend. The trail starts very mellow and the gradual climb up between two immense and beautiful geological mammoths, amongst the trees and alongside a rushing Creek. It's soft on the feet for about 2 miles then it changes to quite rocky trail. Then the trail gets very strenuous and harder to follow up to Grass lake. From Grass to Camp Lake you're tired and feeling elevation, and it's about to get harder. We climbed up to Meysan at the outlet (difficult, steep bouldering for about 500ft up) and found a camping spot. Breathtaking! Fishing is plentiful. We were alone and the weather was extremely pleasant. We could comfortablely hang out in our swimsuits at 4pm. It took 6 hours to hike the 5.2 miles up, and 4 hours to get back the next day, including a detour to Grass Lake (which is equally breathtaking!). This is a tough hike but the reward is immense : beautiful views, solitude, fish, challenging hike, cross country experience, climbing experience.

Sun May 27 2018

Good views up to Lone Pine Peak and then back in to the valley. Unfortunately we didn’t make it all the way to the lake due to snow and tired legs from a previous hike, but well worth the effort and would do it again

Mon May 14 2018

Amazing Hike! Completely worth it. Beautiful view of Lone Pine peak. Lots of snow still getting up to the lake. Not too difficult.

Tue May 08 2018

Easy trail to follow pretty views and worth it

Fri Aug 04 2017

Extreme workout but worth every step

Thu Dec 29 2016

Awsome, I was torn between keeping it to myself or posting this.

Tue Oct 11 2016

Meysan lake is harsh, stark, and beautiful. The last 2 miles of the hike are much more strenuous than the first half. Using a GPS is a must, as the trail does not exist between Camp lake and Meysan Lake, and we had to rely on cairns and our topo maps to get to Meysan. Most of the lakes are completely dried up now (not sure if this is the drought or because we did this very late in the season, first weekend of October) but Meysan lake still has plenty of water. When we arrived, it was a sparkling deep turquoise, and the towering peaks surrounding it looks otherworldly. Very doable as a day hike. Took us about 6 hours total, but I would budget at least 7 so that you can spend more time at the lake.

Wed Jul 13 2016

Great trail. No permits, no people. Route does get a little unclear at times. Nice warm up for Mount Whitney.

Sat Jun 04 2016

About five miles in and five miles out. Excellent lakes. Bring a hammock!

Wed Jul 08 2015

Steep switchbacks for the first 4 miles. There are 3 lakes once you reach the top (beautiful landscape change - greenery and wild flowers), the first is Grass lake, then continue on to Camp Lake, but to reach Meysan Lake requires a lot of work. The trail isn't easily marked so it's difficult to get lost. Maps or GPS helps. Expect a lot of rock climbing. Pretty advanced and challenging trek but worth the view! Bring a waterproof jacket as it rained on us going down the mountain.

recorded Meysan Trail